Anyone Know Anyone In Hawaii?

sandgrubber

I'm a dual US/Australian citizen who has six dogs and lives in a kennel zone in WA. I'm mighty fed up with WA's dog ghetto legislation, and am looking for someplace -- preferably someplace warm and tolerant -- where I can live in peace with my little pack. At one point I was thinking NSW, but it looks like dog rules are getting worse there and there's a danger of going out of the frying pan, into the fire.

I always ruled Hawaii out, thinking it's too expensive. Checking the real estate listings, seems to be a lot cheaper than WA, but I'm having trouble sorting out anything beyond the quarantine requirements (which are favourable for Australian dogs). Google isn't pulling up much that's useful. Found some ruling that said you could go up to 10 without a kennel license (which would suit me fine) but can't find the specifics about where the rule applies.

Does anyone know any dog people in HI who might be willing to fill someone in on what's probably a complicated scene?

Edited by sandgrubber

I think Hawaii has four or five counties and each would have there own animal controls that are not run at a state level.

You should look at the county codes of the place you are thinking of moving to in Hawaii to find what the rules are. eg; Maui, Hawaii, Kauai etc.

Can't answer your questions.

Hawaii seems a wonderful place to live, very beautiful & the perfect climate. I was watching surfing there a few minutes ago on TV, but I have heard its not so good for dogs.

Puppy farm paradise with many exported to Asia from there.

I also think that in a few years there will be no dog friendly place to live in Australia at all.

I also believe many pure breeds will die out completely, at least in Australia.

It will be too hard to breed here at all for pedigree dog breeders.

I have a close friend who has spent a couple of years living there. I can't tell you about the dog scene but you may find the locals not as tolerant of white PEOPLE as you may expect.

This has nothing to do with this topic, but neither has the above Quote. You automaticly assume that all the people reading the forum are white, sandgroper might be asian for all we know. Who cares! I and my family have spent many years in Hawaii and its got many beautiful people there. So why dont you take off your KKK hood and have a good look around, no maybe better to leave it on so the rest of us dont have to look at yet another ugly Australian. Tolerances breeds tolerance.

Thanks everyone for input . . .

I did find one dog numbers law . . . for Honolulu. You are allowed 10 dogs, two chooks, but only one camel.

As for the tolerance thing (which is off topic) . . . I would hope that there are places where Hawaiins are intolerant of groups (mainland Americans) that have moved in with a lot of money, bought up land, and largely destroyed the way of life. Polynesians haven't had an easy time of it. I respect that . . . . white fellas (including some with dark skins who are hooked in to the same system) have a lot to answer for. . . .

Edited by sandgrubber

I have a close friend who has spent a couple of years living there. I can't tell you about the dog scene but you may find the locals not as tolerant of white PEOPLE as you may expect.

This has nothing to do with this topic, but neither has the above Quote. You automaticly assume that all the people reading the forum are white, sandgroper might be asian for all we know. Who cares! I and my family have spent many years in Hawaii and its got many beautiful people there. So why dont you take off your KKK hood and have a good look around, no maybe better to leave it on so the rest of us dont have to look at yet another ugly Australian. Tolerances breeds tolerance.

O/T - accusing people of being in the KKK does not show tolerance.

What? Only one camel! That's sad, camels need camel friends :laugh:

One camel is better than no camels though.....

O/T - accusing people of being in the KKK does not show tolerance.

You are dead right,I am sorry I used the wrong word anyway. I mean let's face it tolerate means to put up with someone that you dont like or annoys you, so to tolerate someone of a different race because of his race is just saying, I hate him because he's black but I'm not saying anything so that's alright.So having said that, I embrace all people of different cultures and I don't tolerate racist's.So thank you, I'll climb down off my soapbox , go home , take a bex and have a lie down.

Does Hawaii have it's own legislation, or does it use USA one? You'd need to check that. I think if I was thinking of emigrating, I'd go there and spend a couple of weeks researching.

NZ looks ok to me, they seem to be slow to bring in dragonian legislation, and the Govs reaction to docking was more reasoned than that of the Aus. gov.

Sunshine Coast in Q allows as many dogs as you want - as long as they are registered, you have fences and the neighbours don't complain.

I actually thought, from friends living there, that WA sounded quite reasonable. Friends live in the kennel zone though,or at Woop Woop

However, I think it is only a matter of time until breeding is legislated out of existence in Aust, by one set of laws or another. So it's only a matter of time, no matter where in Aus you move.

Spiff

This forum is about sharing information. Pointeelab relayed information she was given from friends. It's now up to Sandgrubber to check it out.

For all you know, Sandgrubber might be anything, and for all you know, Pointeelab might just know a whole lot more about Sandgrubber's ethnic background than you do

Suggesting someone is in the KKK, as is calling them "an ugly Australian" is against the rules of the forum, and as far as tolerance is concerned, you might like to practice what you preach. And whilst you were ranting, you actually failed to add any information to the thread.

Does Hawaii have it's own legislation, or does it use USA one? You'd need to check that. I think if I was thinking of emigrating, I'd go there and spend a couple of weeks researching.

NZ looks ok to me, they seem to be slow to bring in dragonian legislation, and the Govs reaction to docking was more reasoned than that of the Aus. gov.

Sunshine Coast in Q allows as many dogs as you want - as long as they are registered, you have fences and the neighbours don't complain.

I actually thought, from friends living there, that WA sounded quite reasonable. Friends live in the kennel zone though,or at Woop Woop

However, I think it is only a matter of time until breeding is legislated out of existence in Aust, by one set of laws or another. So it's only a matter of time, no matter where in Aus you move.

Spiff

This forum is about sharing information. Pointeelab relayed information she was given from friends. It's now up to Sandgrubber to check it out.

For all you know, Sandgrubber might be anything, and for all you know, Pointeelab might just know a whole lot more about Sandgrubber's ethnic background than you do

Suggesting someone is in the KKK, as is calling them "an ugly Australian" is against the rules of the forum, and as far as tolerance is concerned, you might like to practice what you preach. And whilst you were ranting, you actually failed to add any information to the thread.

Well I'll just leave you people to it, sure if you met me you wouldnt like me cause I'm all for cross breeding (people and dogs) and if pointing out to someone that they are being racist and that it's wrong is breaking the rules of the forum then so be it,because I dont think its alright.

WA has good dog laws & we are very lucky to have the kennel zones but we even still get a small few who live in these areas that complain to councils

They dont want the laws but will happily complain about trivial things & then wonder why laws exist ;)

Who's acting ugly then? It has everything to do with the topic - the OP stated that she wants to live in peace with her dogs.

Don't be a dickhead all your life. I happen to be aware of who SandGRUBBER is. I am not racist - just passing on what I have been told by another Australian who lives in Honolulu and can't wait to get her children back to the US mainland because she finds that the local Hawaiians are not tolerant of white people. Not the other way around - she has no problem with them. She's quite tolerant.

ETA the Hawaiian locals may have good reason for being resentful - and as a PP said, white Americans coming in a with a whole lot of money, buying up land and making life difficult may be an excellent reason. I have no idea of the politics behind it, I only know that she's been struggling and is hanging out to move. She loves the people/culture/beaches/lifestyle but has had difficulty living in peace and feeling accepted by the locals.

Edited by Pointeeblab

WA has good dog laws & we are very lucky to have the kennel zones but we even still get a small few who live in these areas that complain to councils

They dont want the laws but will happily complain about trivial things & then wonder why laws exist ;)

Not sure what you are talking about. That last sentence doesn't make sense to me.

WA's use of kennel zones are unusual by world standards. Few places in the world force hobby breeders into an area that is also designated for boarding kennels, commercial breeders, and rescue organisations. Four years ago very loud boarding kennel was built about 60 m from my bedroom. The EPA recommends 500 m between a kennel and a neighboring residence. Most places in the world require that a boarding kennel that is close to residences at least have a solid, soundproofing wall built around the dog containment area. Not our council. No soundproofing at all. I've installed dual glazing in my bedroom, but the dogs still wake me up at night at times. Other neighbors are worse affected than I. The kennel owner, on the other hand, has solid fencing between HIS house and the kennel . . . and his house is relatively distant to the kennel.

Are you saying that 'kennel zone' should mean make all the noise you want, anytime day or night? Even if the idiot locks the dogs OUT of the kennel at night so they won't defecate in the kennel . . . with the result that fence fighting goes on from dusk to dawn. Do you think that anyone who wants to have more than two dogs should have to put up with such disquiet? You think that's good law?

I'm now beyond complaining. I just don't want to spend the rest of my life listening to boarding kennel noise. I want a rural property where me and my dogs can live quietly . . .I think most small-to-medium breeders are the same. Leave the kennel zones for them what like them. Or maybe not. The suburbs are closing in around us in the SOR kennel zone. I'd be willing to bet that within a decade they'll close the entire kennel area down because the good people in the 'burbs will be much more effective complaining about noise than those of us who who find it difficult to live with the noise.

Edited by sandgrubber