Dog Making Choking Noises

Hi, my Jack Russell X Pom X Malt, makes this horrible choking noise and really seems to be struggling to get air, it happens at random times although maybe more frequently when he is pulling on his knee.

We have been unable to get a vets advice as there is no way to trigger it, it just happens when it happens, just the other night it went on for so long we are gettting really worried about him.

So has anyone had something similar with their dog?

He has been doing it since we got him, about 18 months ago. Only once or twice a month, the really bad one he was asleep next to my bed so nothing to cause it.

Someone said to me little dogs sometime have a flap on skin in their throat that can block their breathing, but this person doesn't really know anything about dogs just something they had heard. It is really bad though, most people think he is going to die when they see it happen. I've gotten really worried because the last one was so long and because they are infrequent we have been unable to get it on film.

I do think it was more frequent when he use to pull on his lead, ie it would happen on a walks a fair bit. He walks on a front attach no pull harness now, so it is no longer an issue.

No to the patting on the chest, it sounds like choking and him gasping for air, he is quite stressed after it has stopped and wants us not to touch him while it is happening

Edited by chuckandsteve

Sounds like it could be Goose Honking/reverse sneezing. Which is basically the soft pallet getting stuck.

If it goes on for to long open your dogs mouth and make them breath through it instead of it's nose. Getting them to have a drink of something can also help.

Have you taken him to the vet?

Sounds to me like kennel cough as well. My boy had it about a month ago and he had the exact same symptoms. Has he been vaccinated? They can still get it if they have been vaccinated, usually they just get it less severely, although if the dog is old or young you can have more problems. I'd take him to the vet just to be sure.

They'll listen and see if it's in his chest. My boy had it just in his throat so they just prescribed some cough medicine, rest and quarantine!! It is really really important if you suspect it is kennel cough to keep your dog away from other dogs. I couldn't walk my boy for over three weeks. It is highly contagious so you need to be responsible so you don't spread it. If your neighbours have dogs, it might be worth wording them up to keep an eye out for symptoms in their own dogs as it can even be passed through the fence!

I have never heard of a dog having kennel cough for such a long time, but I guess if it goes untreated it could be likely. The vet will also prescribe some antibiotics which should clear it up.

Sounds like what my maltese x shih tzu used to do when she was asleep, especially if she slept on her back! It was called elongated soft palate which I think typically effects short nosed breeds. She eventually stopped doing it but I think if it becomes chronic they can do a surgery.

Reverse sneezing, never heard of it referred to as that before! Every Pap I've ever known has had an elongated soft palette, I wonder if there are any Paps out there that don't suffer this "reverse sneezing". It's harmless, more of an annoyance than anything else.

Can it be fixed through surgery? I've heard that if the dog is ever under for something else you can just ask the vet to shorten the soft pallette while they're there, is that correct?

Have you taken him to the vet?

Sounds to me like kennel cough as well. My boy had it about a month ago and he had the exact same symptoms. Has he been vaccinated? They can still get it if they have been vaccinated, usually they just get it less severely, although if the dog is old or young you can have more problems. I'd take him to the vet just to be sure.

They'll listen and see if it's in his chest. My boy had it just in his throat so they just prescribed some cough medicine, rest and quarantine!! It is really really important if you suspect it is kennel cough to keep your dog away from other dogs. I couldn't walk my boy for over three weeks. It is highly contagious so you need to be responsible so you don't spread it. If your neighbours have dogs, it might be worth wording them up to keep an eye out for symptoms in their own dogs as it can even be passed through the fence!

I have never heard of a dog having kennel cough for such a long time, but I guess if it goes untreated it could be likely. The vet will also prescribe some antibiotics which should clear it up.

Kennel cough is usually more of a gagging sound and is much like the common cold so the antibiotics are to lessen the symptoms not to cure the illness. There is nothing to cure it other then time and as u said rest, i have seen dogs with kennel cough for about a month though it was very mildly, we give a childs dose of benadryl and sometimes natural remedies, some say manuka honey works also.

But IMO this is the reverse sneezing kennel cough is usually very apparent and not so far in between episodes like this has been described :o

And to think mum was only saying to me last night (in regards to my dogs reverse sneezing) "That's why I don't like pure breds, they have so many health problems" (that being their only "problem")... Well I guess now I can tell her that not only pure breds do it!

I think you should get your dog checked by the vet to make sure it is nothing serious as we did with our small dog. It seems to be a small dog thing.

It was found to be the reverse sneezing and if you put your finger down their throat until they gag it usually reverses it.

Or hold their jaw together so they have to breath through their nose. Or let them run outside and take a gulp of air.

Thanks, having watched the you tube video of reverse sneezing thats if definately what it is. I have spoken to the vet about it but as he has never seen it and my description is pretty bad he wasn't really sure what I was talking about (I think he also thinks I'm a bit dramatic and over reacting).

I'll try the homeopathic product as he gets quite stressed when its happening I don't think he would like me holding his mouth shut.

Thanks for all the help

Thanks, having watched the you tube video of reverse sneezing thats if definately what it is. I have spoken to the vet about it but as he has never seen it and my description is pretty bad he wasn't really sure what I was talking about (I think he also thinks I'm a bit dramatic and over reacting).

I'll try the homeopathic product as he gets quite stressed when its happening I don't think he would like me holding his mouth shut.

Thanks for all the help

That won't help anyway. Stroke the throat or OPEN the mouth.

Thanks for all the help

You don't need to do anything when the dog reverse sneezes. If you feel the need, simply give them a reassuring pat. :hug: They won't stop breathing and they won't collapse. It is harmless and is thought to be an irritation to the soft palate. It can happen more often in allergy season and after eating.

I agree that the idea of holding their mouth shut and forcing them to breathe through the nose is only going to frighten them.

Pugs and other short faced breeds are renown for it. I ignore it more often than not as it happens with my lot very regularly.

I will often offer a drink if it persists and this will help the palate sit flat and it will hopefullly wash away any irritants in the throat.