Surprise Husky Puppy!

sallywill

Hi, It was suggested to me that I join by Ashanali, whom I spoke to last night. She was very helpful, and thought this would also be a great place to start.

Backstory...

We adopted Mollie, a 8 month old Purebred Siberian Husky from a 13y.o girl who was given her as a gift, but after 8 months could no longer keep her due to moving. We were told she had just come off heat, so we wouldn't have to worry about that for a while.. Having had Samoyed' before, we decided to take her on. She is great, aside form the cat chasing, which, yes, we know is a husky trait.

Anyway, 8 weeks ago, we picked her up. Gorgeous! Very playful. great with our boys 12, 11 & 4, gentle and very loving.

Yesterday afternoon, AFTER my 12 year old took her for a walk, about 20 mins later, we hear an odd squeeking noise? Fist thought...she has caught a cat :) ...

After a few mins of searching, here is Mollie, with a tiny newborn PUPPY on her chest!! My first thought was where did she find that, thinking there is no way its hers, but it turns outt hey are only pregnant for 9 weeks, and well, we have had her for 8.

She has put on no weight, not done anything out of character, still going for walks, eating, jumping, playing, chasin cats, all the regular stuff......Eeeek.

She only had one. We had her checked, no more in utero, so it was just one.

She is doing well, as is pup.

My concern is that my 10 month old pup just had a pup! She seems to be doing really well, lookiong after baby well, feeding etc.. But I don't know what to do next.

If anyone could offer any useful advice, It would be much appreciated.

Sally

I have nothing to offer other that O M G! Are you going to go get mum desexed? Only one pup? Is that normal? Maybe post this in the breeders section - they will be able to guide you in the right direction.....

Can we have some pics???

Good Luck!

Jacqui

OMG Sally that is amazing. It is a shock when your baby has a baby at that age!! I would think as long as she is mothering the puppy fine then you dont need to do anything real special except increase the amount of feed you are feeding her just to give her a bit of a boost. Wow I still dont believe it. Any idea on what hte father would be? Have you phoned the people you got her off?? Mostly I suppose enjoy your suprise as much as possible and give your girl some extra love!! Good luck

PS - I agree put this in the breeders thread as different people have different experiences and may have some more tips for you

Edited by oakeydoak1

good one phoning the prev owners :) thats what i would have done.

since there is only one would you consider keeping it, they might form a really close bond as theres only one.

i wonder what breed the dad was!

time will tell XX

The pup looks pure from what i can tell, that will help you home the pup.

May i ask a question: When your 12 year old was walking her, was she offleash or not watched for anytime?

She could have "gone for a poo" and had pups?

Definitely an ON leash pup! We never let her off.... She'd run for days!!

Im fairly certain she had her when they got back. He said she was really pulling hard on the leash to get home, so I guess she knew what was happening.

Oh my god you must be in shock! :(

Lucky she is in good hands. Look forward to seeing more pics.

Shock is an understatement!!

Haha that happened to me with Ewe's I had owned for over 2 years...... and I DONT own a ram :eek: 40+ degrees day and I heard the bleating and thought "What the".............

oh we got our ewe back from the farm next door, they shaved her for us, and a while later she had twins!!

looked out my window to see these two little babies! my first lambs - they are pets - they come on the porch and still follow mum around even though they are the same size as her! ...they try to drink of her too ha!