Memory Card Question

Firestone

CF is a type of memory card (as are XD, SD etc). Each camera takes a specific type so just check the specs and it will tell you.

SanDisk have an excellent reputation as does Lexar. I use both of those - both their cheap lines and their expensive lines. I also use and love Transcend brand - and I only have their cheap versions. I have a few Kingston cards for my compact cameras and they, too, work just fine. Although the speed of a card may be an issue for some high quantity or fast shooting users, imho, most people don't really get that much benefit by paying the premium for the really fast versions.

CF is a type of memory card (as are XD, SD etc). Each camera takes a specific type so just check the specs and it will tell you.

SanDisk have an excellent reputation as does Lexar. I use both of those - both their cheap lines and their expensive lines. I also use and love Transcend brand - and I only have their cheap versions. I have a few Kingston cards for my compact cameras and they, too, work just fine. Although the speed of a card may be an issue for some high quantity or fast shooting users, imho, most people don't really get that much benefit by paying the premium for the really fast versions.

Thanks kja. I will be learning to use the camera as I go but I do want to be able to take movement shots later. Showjumpers. race horses and dogs on the move so would I need a fast version?

Harvey Norman have a package to go with the camera/lens and it includes a lens filter and a Sandisc Extreme memory card 4G.

Thanks kja. I will be learning to use the camera as I go but I do want to be able to take movement shots later. Showjumpers. race horses and dogs on the move so would I need a fast version?

Harvey Norman have a package to go with the camera/lens and it includes a lens filter and a Sandisc Extreme memory card 4G.

The speed the object you're shooting doesn't matter when it comes to the card. It only comes into play when you're talking about how fast you are going to write to the card. For example - if you're shooting show jumping and you only want to try and take 1 shot when the horse is up over the jump, having a slow card won't really be a problem, you can work around that but when you're wanting to take multiple photos (on continuous shooting) as fast as you can as the horse jumps (lets say, 10 shots from the start of the jump to the finish) you will need a fast card to be able to store all of those shots as they're taken.

I have different cards for different purposes - I have cheap SD cards for portraiture and then the XD cards for when i want to take action shots because I want to be able to use continuous shooting.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Yup, what she said.

While the speed of the card IN your camera can come into play with continuous shooting, I have not noticed any missed shots in action sequences when using my cheapo cards at all. Most of the newer cards are just fine - I doubt you'll need the Ducati versions (which are way more expensive).

Card speed will also factor when you download to your computer. Again, I don't notice. I stick em in the card reader and let it do its thing. Speed is not essential to me on download. If it is to you, then spend some money on one of the higher end card readers but honestly unless you are shooting multiple cards and want to download them in bulk, basic card readers should be fine.

It's all about your needs. The more you require from your cards and card readers, the more you need to spend.

FWIW I'm using a $12 card reader that I bought like 4 years ago :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks so much.

Learning heaps here. How many will I need? I think I would prefer to download via a card reader and we have several different sized cameras here so would a multi reader be ok??

Edited by Firestone

don't forget that the camera too comes into play here - the card can only be written onto as fast as your camera can record, so for instance it would not be worth paying for a card that can write at 1 speed if you camera can only record at a lower speed. I also go with the point of view being that I would rather have lots of cards than only 1 or 2, that way if you have card failure, you do not loose as much - ie have lots of 4GB cards instead of 1 16GB card. A good card reader is also a must, do not go with the cheapy ones you can get at Harvey Norman etc, - I lost 2 whole cards worth from one which not only corrupted the card, but also made all the data inoperable - it was worth it to by a Lexar pro card reader that also works by fireweire transfer, so I can upload really quickly (which helps with the mega file sizes I have from my 5DII)

I'm a bit conservative too: prefer to change the 2GB cards more often in case of another card fail. Only ever happened to me once, that's once too often. We copy to an Epson2000 throughout the day, and also try not to re-use cards unless necessary til backed onto computer as well. So - lotsa 2 and 4 cards, Sandisk and Lexar mostly.

I think memory cards are like dog leads and Shetland Ponies, you can never have too many.

Card readers: great. If I hear of anyone plugging a camera into a computer my fingernails go all funny. When is the next PMA in Melbourne? I'm still using a SandDisk cardreader we got at the last PMA, it's outlasted two other readers.

For anyone who gets into Dockside, HarbourLights whatever they call it, where the American Costco SuperSupermarket is, they have SanDisk memory cards very low prices in small bulk amounts. Only the Ultra 2, not Ultra 3. But as people have said above, the Ultra 2 is more than adequate for most cameras and purposes.

I have a sandisk micromate reader that I purchased with my memory card (4gig card) at the time I purchased my camera and touch wood not had a problem with either yet. My camera and disk reader/card is nearly 18 months old.