Pet Insurance

rexiam

Hey Rottylover, totally understand - I was a bit nervous of them when I read your posts too! I just thought I should share my experience because they really were lovely and helpful for me. I hope your issue is all resolved now :cry: If you don't mind my asking, what condition were you trying to claim for? Mine was a straight lump removal with no previous history, and no other lumps noted on Doof, which probably helped a bit too.

My issue with them started from day one. It took three attempts just to get my male dog insured. Through the mail once and twice over the phone. Both dogs details were filled out

on the same form and sent in the same envelope. Somehow one dogs details were received, but somehow my other dogs details, on the SAME form, were nowhere to be found. It then took another

two attempts over the phone, via different people, to get him insured.

The claim that was knocked back involved the same as your dog, removal of lumps.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm with Bow Wow and have found them to be really good. I made my first claim last week and like PuddleDuck, received an sms to say my claim had been received and would be processed within the next 3 weeks. I'm happy with their service - always have been polite and helpful and both my dogs lost their name tags and with Bow Wow you get a replacement name tag (once per year) if your dog loses it or you change address. Bow Wow was recommended to me by my dog instructor (who also happens to be a vet).

I chose the accident plan only for my 2 dogs (1 female Rotty/Doberman and 1 male Doberman/Kelpie). I have a $100 excess for each.

Whatever plan you choose, remember that there is no perfect plan, just like human health insurance. But there are plans that are better suited to you and your lifestyle (and dogs).

Hope this helps. :cry:

Hi, I'm with Bow Wow and have found them to be really good. I made my first claim last week and like PuddleDuck, received an sms to say my claim had been received and would be processed within the next 3 weeks. I'm happy with their service - always have been polite and helpful and both my dogs lost their name tags and with Bow Wow you get a replacement name tag (once per year) if your dog loses it or you change address. Bow Wow was recommended to me by my dog instructor (who also happens to be a vet).

I chose the accident plan only for my 2 dogs (1 female Rotty/Doberman and 1 male Doberman/Kelpie). I have a $100 excess for each.

Whatever plan you choose, remember that there is no perfect plan, just like human health insurance. But there are plans that are better suited to you and your lifestyle (and dogs).

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

:( It is all so confusing, I have been looking into Pet insurance on and off for ages, but cant decide which is best, after reading this thread even more confused, I have two whippets, 6month and 2.5 years, is any one actually happy with their policy after making a claim??? :eek:

:thumbsup: It is all so confusing, I have been looking into Pet insurance on and off for ages, but cant decide which is best, after reading this thread even more confused, I have two whippets, 6month and 2.5 years, is any one actually happy with their policy after making a claim??? :thumbsup:

Binx, I'm definately 100% happy after making a claim. To be honest, it was less than 6 months from when we took out the policy to when we made the claim and I was worried that they might have knocked us back trying to claim it as pre-existing or something. Don't get me wrong, I wish it was less than 3 weeks to wait to get the refund :thumbsup: but now its come through and I'm booking us and the dogs in for our winter vacation with the money :wave:

As I said before the main reason in taking it out was because my brother's dog just had a $8,000 spleen removal (which turned out to be completely unwarranted but that it a different story), and they've had another dog with a $16,000 heat stroke previously. I knew if I was in that position, I'd be selling the car, hell, our home if I had to (which was worrying the hell out of my husband!). Regardless of who you end up going with I think the cost is entirely worth it for the peace of mind.

Im looking at getting insurance for my GR, just have a few questions though

I want to get her desexed, have her front dews removed, and get her hips and elbows xrayed (just for my own peace of mind, her parents had their scores done but Im a worry wart) Id get it all done at once so she is only under one anesthetic, would all these procedures be covered? and would they be one claim because they were all done at the same time?

I dont think they would be covered. I think its only accident injuries and illness. I think because you wish to do it and it is not necissary that they will not cover it. Also general things like vaccinations and desexing I thought was out of your own expense not the policies.

Im looking at getting insurance for my GR, just have a few questions though

I want to get her desexed, have her front dews removed, and get her hips and elbows xrayed (just for my own peace of mind, her parents had their scores done but Im a worry wart) Id get it all done at once so she is only under one anesthetic, would all these procedures be covered? and would they be one claim because they were all done at the same time?

Medibank Gold Cover will cover $70 of the dew claw removal but I doubt the xrays would be covered as the insurance only covers illness or accident. Just make sure you insure her before you get the xrays done, because if the vet finds any problems, the insurance company will class it as a pre existing conditon if you are not covered first.

We covered our papillon puppy a week before she was speyed and they noticed whilst she was under that her baby teeth are not falling out so may need surgically removing. Thank goodness we covered her the week prior as the operation should now be covered if we have to go ahead.

I have just been for a vet visit this morning with our JS and have been informed that she has a luxating patella, so I'm really hoping she is going to be covered by insurance. We had no idea as she has never shown any pain or discomfort from her hind leg, but the vet said it seems to be constantly dislocated. The vet could pop it back in but it was coming straight out again. I actually took her in for a sore foot (which turns out to be a cracked claw) and came away this news :rofl:

I think that precautionary xrays would not be covered - however if those xrays were part of a diagnosis for a condition requiring veterinary intervention.

I think that all of the procedures you want done would be classed as "optional" not "necessary" veterinary treatment and as such wouldn't be covered. Kimigirl is right though - if you are going to have diagnostic xrays taken, make sure you take out the cover first or any conditions which were diagnosed as a result of the xrays (and hopefully there would be none!!!) would be classed as pre-existing. You will need to submit a full veterinary history with your first claim.

Ok thanks for the info guys, Ill look into some different covers, but it sounds like Id be best off with a high excess and 100% cover, Id most likely only need it for big stuff (ticks, cane toads, or hopefully not but I guess there is always a chance of joint damage on a big dog)

Thanks for this thread Rexiam... finally got off my butt and signed the girls up. It's been on my to do list for a very long time :mad I've had dogs most of my life and have only ever had a couple of non routine vet visits. Let's hope things stay that way :mad And hopefullly now that I am spending money on insurance I never get use out of it :eek: I signed up with Medibank as I am also though them.