Having Two Dogs

aussielover

My dog passed away recently, so I am dogless at the moment. I am considering getting two dogs in the future. I just wanted to know from other people who have two whether it is A LOT more work than just having one.

Also, is it best to get 2 puppies at the same time, from the same litter or is it better to wait until the first dog is older and then introduce a puppy?

Our dog trainer at work says it is best to wait until the first dog is at least 2 yrs old before getting another puppy but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

I am thinking of getting another aussie shepherd and another breed (which I haven't decided upon yet) or a rescue dog.

I think it is more work having two... but not necessarily A LOT more.

For me it is double the grooming (which wasn't much to start with) and double the walks as I am walking mine seperately at the moment while they have different walking needs, and double the training as they need 1-1 training time.

Two puppies would be especially hard work since puppies need lots of training and lots of 1-1 time with you so that they can bond. You would also likely have to walk two puppies seperately to be able to teach them to walk on a lead properly. If you get two puppies at once you run a risk that they will bond with each other more than with you, and you may face obedience issues when they are together. These issues are not impossible to overcome but is not something I would do.

I think it is much much easier to get a puppy only when you have your older dog reliably trained to your standards. For me this was at around 18 months.

If you wanted to get two dogs straight up consider making one of them an older, well-mannered rescue or rehomed dog, then get your puppy once the older dog has settled in and learned your rules.

Sorry to hear about your dogs' passing.

There are many more qualified people than me to answer you but I will do my best!

From what I have read and heard, your dog trainer is right about not getting 2 puppies at once. They tend to bond with each other instead of you, amongst other reasons.

We went from having 2 dogs for 8 years, to one last year. I did find it was easier with one, but I believe it may have something to do with the personalities of the 2 dogs involved. We have just recently added another dog to our family, an adult and so far things are going great. The time spent has increased, but that may just be the settling in period. It does take more preparation to organise outings, they are both big dogs.

I just felt something was missing from our one dog household.

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

A number of breeders won't sell litter mates to the same house hold.

I agree with Macka, either get a puppy and train it to your standard then get another pup... Or look into a well manner older dog and a pup too.

If you look through the mature dog listings, some breeders will have retired dogs looking for a loving home for their beloved babies. :cry:

I agree 2 puppies is probably not ideal. Lots harder to get them both trained at once - lots to go wrong.

I would also suggest that having dogs different in age is also important as they get older, because otherwise you'll end up in the situation of losing them both around the same time (at the end of their lives). This is my situation at the moment - 2 dogs both 12 years old (got one as a puppy and the other as a mature dog a few years later).

Next time I want to space them out better so may get a puppy initially and then down the track get an older dog so they are maybe 4-5 years apart in age.

I have read that you shouldn't get a puppy till your other dog is 2 years of age, and then only get a second dog if you have trained the original dog. The older dog teaches the younger dog, so if your not careful you will end up with 2 uncontrolable dogs, not just one.

Also, many dogs sleep during the day when we work, if you have 2 dogs they may keep each other awake, which means more mischief.

The down side to 2 pups together, apart from what has been written already is that they will tend to bond to each other more than to you.

However, if you work long hours, and the pup will be alone a lot, two are a good idea for the company.

If you would like a rescue dog and a pup, buy the rescue dog first, ascertain that he is well behaved, and will not teach the pup things you don't want him to learn, and once he is established in the househould (minimun of 6 months) get a pup. Ensure the older dog is not of a quarrelsome breed or type, if he is you will have problems.

Never get a pup to go with an older dog unless the older dog is well behaved, as the younger dog will learn from the older. Some dogs are trained at 12, 18 months, so you can get a pup then, 2 years is just a ball park figure, and varies from dog to dog.

Whether you start with 1 or 2 pups also depends on the breed. Some breeds are "easier" than others.

My dog passed away recently, so I am dogless at the moment. I am considering getting two dogs in the future. I just wanted to know from other people who have two whether it is A LOT more work than just having one.

Also, is it best to get 2 puppies at the same time, from the same litter or is it better to wait until the first dog is older and then introduce a puppy?

Our dog trainer at work says it is best to wait until the first dog is at least 2 yrs old before getting another puppy but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

I am thinking of getting another aussie shepherd and another breed (which I haven't decided upon yet) or a rescue dog.

I can't really chat right now as I am about to go to bed, but tomorrow I'll have a good yarn with you about it. :hug:

Basically if you are looking at Australian Shepherds, I recommend 8-12months between them as pets or longer as show/performance dogs.

Feel free to PM me. I've got all day. :cry:

Regards, Bon.

I'd suggest not two Aussie pups together at the same time. I got mine 10 months apart and that's just about perfect. They have each bonded with us in their own way.....Benson is firmly attached to my husband, despite the fact that I am the one who feeds, walks, trains, grooms him etc. and Dusty is my girl. She would walk over hot coals if I were there waiting for her. But they both know that I'm the boss and they both do as I say.

Together now, they are not much more work than one. I walk them together, groom them at the same time, they go in the hydrobath together. Double the vet fees and food costs, so that is something to take into consideration.

I have two dogs. I got Mitch (beagle) when he was 6 months old from a breeder, and then the other one, Penny (beagle) within 2 months from a rescue and her age is 'about' 5.

Having had a one dog house in the past, I think the difference between having one and two dogs is minimal. I feed the same, I walk them the same, if I go somewhere to take my dogs, taking one is no different to taking two. If I go on holiday, boarding one is no different to boarding 2. Except the costs.

Having said that though I don't have to groom them like you may other breeds and that would be a huge PITA IMO.

On the upside, I work full time and so the comfort of knowing they have each other is nice. If there is a storm and they are frightened, they seek comfort in each other and thats sweet.

I love their personalities, so different and entertaining. I love watching them interact with each other and I have a bond with both of them. They both respond to me and respect me.

I think the difference between 2 and 3 dogs would be massive for me anyway.

I've got two Aussies from different litters with only 2 days difference in age, one I got as a pup the other as a 9 month old dog. They are great company for each other during the day if no one is home. They are ok to walk together but one likes to run and the other is more of a plodder, so seperate walks each day, twice a day when we have time. We have recently added to the family and now have a gorgeous little 12 week old red merle who is enjoying playtime with the big dogs.

Good luck with your search. I've found Aussies addictive!

We got our 2nd dog a bit earlier (about 6 months earlier :thumbsup: ) than planned. They are such great dogs (mostly :rofl: ) and get along so well together that we don't regret the decision. Our lab pup was 7 months when we rescued our golden retriever boy who is 2-4 yrs old (we think around 2).

If GR hadn't been so well behaved I think it would have been a lot more difficult than it has been. My OH is also as dedicated to them as me so there are 2 of us and 2 of them, I'm not sure I could do it alone.

It is certainly more work than having 1 in some respects but to be perfectly honest we are a bit behind with their obedience training which no doubt makes a difference to how difficult some activities are. Fitting in 'alone' time for each dog is difficult. There is twice as much cost, food, vet care, poop, dog smell, grooming and room taken up in the car.

We were also told by numerous people including breeders that there are certain risks with raising 2 pups. Bonding to each other seems to be high on the list of potential problems and I can see why this would be as our dogs have bonded quite strongly in the 1.5 months they have been together even with their age difference.

We don't find they keep each other awake, they both tend to sprawl out and sleep together after a good exercise or when they are put to bed.

Edited by 16Paws

We own three dogs..........I find only the grooming a lot more effort, being newfs.

But we only have one rule at home, before we get the next dog, make sure the dog or dogs preceding are well behaved. So we waited with our newfie pup, until we considered our newfie rescue well mannered and trained. And the same before her. Training two dogs at the same time can be quite difficult. And I have now noticed that our seven month old newfie girl is so well mannered, because the other two are...She just follows their rules. the last pup has been a dream. I found single dog ownership the most difficult, because i always felt guilty about leaving the dog by itself. These three are good company for both us and them

I have 2 pups, litter mates, 4 and a half months old blue heelers. They have not bonded to each other rather than me. As I am on a farm I do not do walkies, they have the run of the place. I find they are great company for each other while I am away from home. They are in their 15ft x 21ft pen at nights in their snug dog box and love it, go into the pen to play even when out all day. I do find that training can be a problem at times with the two together. I do not do training sessions as such but teach to sit before food, toilet train as things arise. As it is now, widdle wiidle said as they get let outside sees them squatting together at times....like synchronized swimming. At the moment I have these two, plus their mother, all flaked out on my lounge room floor.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I would not get two pups or 2 dogs of the same age - more so for my benefit than anything else. I wouldn't want them to be headed for rainbow bridge around the same stage.

Currently I have a 7yr old medium sized dog and two 5yr old dogs (one large breed and one small), I probably would have preferred a bit more of an age gap than that but when the right dog (or boyfriend with a dog the same age as your own dog) comes along you sometimes just can't say no. But in saying that I do think that the little one will be around for a lot longer than the other 2.

I have always had two dogs and couldn't imagine life with only one. My first dog was only 8 months old (border collie) when I got my german shephard pup. They were best mates and perfectly behaved dogs. They worked as a team when playing ball and absolutely loved each others company. With dogs since then there have been some issues but mostly they are much happier with another dog to play with. I have found that it's actually easier having two dogs in most ways. Mine have separate diets and when my old dog could only do a 5 minute walk it was a bit of a hassle but worth it to know that they kept each other company when I couldn't be there. I highly recommend having more than one dog.

I've got two Aussies from different litters with only 2 days difference in age, one I got as a pup the other as a 9 month old dog. They are great company for each other during the day if no one is home. They are ok to walk together but one likes to run and the other is more of a plodder, so seperate walks each day, twice a day when we have time. We have recently added to the family and now have a gorgeous little 12 week old red merle who is enjoying playtime with the big dogs.

Good luck with your search. I've found Aussies addictive!

you need to come on over to the aussie thread and show us your babies. :thumbsup: