Puppy Poop ...breeders Please?

Sharna3

Hello,

We bought our new pup home last night and its been nearly ten years between pups so just want to verify his developing poop habits...

Is pooping a lot, will do a mr whippy style (moist but solid), then the next couple will be diarrhea. Then back to whippy again.

I think he is pooping a lot - has probably done 7-8 today since he woke at 5.30am and its now 3.30pm. But is that normal??? and is the varying consistency OK?

We have him on the exact same diet the breeder had him on so that isn't it..

What do you guys think?

Edited by Missin Bastian..

puppy poo should be just like normal dog poo, but smaller .

frequency? depends on the food...and the water, and the treats etc .

What diet is pup on, and what does his breeder say?

He is on supercoat pup dry food and puppy milk.

Breeder is at work atm so cant get hold of her

Guest belgian.blue

Scrap the milk. That will give him the runs.

Scrap the milk. That will give him the runs.

No worries, will take that advice - is it ok to soften the dry food with a little warm water?

And I can agree to the stress factor, we are doing our best and he seems pretty happy but it would of course be hard on him no matter what; will keep an eye on hix next 24-48hrs and see if it improves with time and no milk, thanks guys :thumbsup:

If he has been having the food dry, then leave it dry :thumbsup:

Any pups we have get supercoat as dry, and they have lovely little poos ;)

Are you giving him the same quantity as the breeder advised?

I agree- he doesn't need the puppy milk... If he's used to having it, it should not be upsetting him,as it is low lactose- but he doesn't need it.

Hope he settles soon :(

If he has been having the food dry, then leave it dry :thumbsup:

Any pups we have get supercoat as dry, and they have lovely little poos ;)

Are you giving him the same quantity as the breeder advised?

I agree- he doesn't need the puppy milk... If he's used to having it, it should not be upsetting him,as it is low lactose- but he doesn't need it.

Hope he settles soon :(

Thank you, so do we :-) I will txt the breeder, she then usually calls back as soon as she can. Thanks guys.

!! So Harley didn't have any milk after my post yesterday, just dry food and plenty of fresh water. No more diarrhea but still mr whippy poo.

Now today, first poo - mr whippy still

Second, smaller poo - Mr whippy and GREEN and mucusy. Help :dancingelephant:

I know I'm probably being a worry wart but I cant help it :thumbsup:

VET time.

Notify the breeder- and ask if any littermates are ill... (it sounds as if puppy could have already had this bug in his system when you got him :dancingelephant: ) and take puppy to the vet. Puppies can suffer greatly if they have diarrhoea- they lose condition quickly- so treatment now is important

best of luck at the vet.

hope your little guy is okay :dancingelephant:

another one who says wean off supercoat puppy, my dog was on it as a pup but I found it gave her awful diarroheah (sp?), from memory we went to Optimum - which had allergy issues for her until we went to Eagle Pack puppy

!! So Harley didn't have any milk after my post yesterday, just dry food and plenty of fresh water. No more diarrhea but still mr whippy poo.

Now today, first poo - mr whippy still

Second, smaller poo - Mr whippy and GREEN and mucusy. Help :laugh:

I know I'm probably being a worry wart but I cant help it :laugh:

mucusy sounds like colitis - my boy suffers from inflamed bowel when he is stressed....fine when everything goes back to normal.

VET. Green poop generally indicates some type of worm burden. It may be that the wormer used by the breeder was not an broad spectrum one.

Yep, off to the vet with a faecal sample if possible.

Persistent poo issues point to an underlying problem. Could be worms or a bacterial infection like coccodia.

All this suggests he's not digesting his food well - not what you want in a growing pup. :laugh:

I can do the faecal sample - I've been keeping them (usually we pick up the poop and dispose of it).

He's done 3 poops today, inc the greeny mucusy one, the last two have been soft and dark greenish-brown but no mucus.

I spoke to the breeder too, his diet consisted of the supacoat, mixed with puppy milk. In the mornings he also got a bit of weetbix crumbled in too.

I know the puppy milk is not ideal but when i mixed about a tablespoon of it with his dry food today he ate enthusiastically, which he wasnt doing before, so Im loath to completely cut it out yet.

Ideally I want to get him onto a RAW diet but I dont want to change the breeders diet for a couple of weeks so that any bugs that show up i can rule out diet change.

I think I will ring my vets and talk with her, shes great, and then go from there.

Thanks for all the advice, I think its really great that everyone helps out, I know its made me feel heaps better already. You guys rock :laugh:

Remove the milk altogether it is not doing his tummy any favours at all. It won't hurt if he doesn't eat his dinner for 24 hours without it as it will help his poor tummy anyway. Ditch the weetbix too as it has no nutritional value for puppies and can cause upset tummies.

weetbix? Ididn't think anyone still used weetbix - I used that about 35 years ago with my first puppy care job! . :laugh:

Puppy milk used like that is ok - as he is used to it :laugh:

However- if he has a tummy upset, the vet may recommend a short time on a restricted/bland diet to give his system a rest and allow healing.....

Did the breeder comment on his diarrhoea? Had they noticed it at all? Are any of theirs like it as well? I am guessing you didn't notice it when you collected him... Did they have any suggestions as to how to help?

Oh, and faecal samples for the vet need to be fresh,and uncontaminated by dirt...

Hope pup is ok....

Edited by persephone

Well I thought I'd give a "pupdate" ... ;)

Harley's poop got progressively better and today they are actually becoming firmer with each 'elimination'. :laugh:

If it starts to go backwards or stops improving I'll be taking him in to see the vet; in the meantime just keeping track to ensure he's eating & drinking properly.

I spoke to the breeder and she said none of the other pups are ill and his poop was firm before he left so she believes its the stress of leaving his mum & littermates.

Thank you everyone for the advice and words of wisdom, I cant say how much I appreciate DOL and its members, and hopefully I can return the favour to everyone some day.

Sharna.