Camera Advice

Sue & Waldo

A budget will help narrow the field.

I'm guessing by your request for a "basic" camera you are thinking more of a compact camera than a dslr, is this correct? Is size an issue for you?

A budget will help narrow the field.

I'm guessing by your request for a "basic" camera you are thinking more of a compact camera than a dslr, is this correct? Is size an issue for you?

I am thinking of a compact. Up to $350 I guess. I'd rather spend a bit more and not put up with battery problems and poor pics.

Off the top of my head:

Super small and well within your budget. Canon SD1200. I have one of these and adore it to little bits. You can get a feel for images by heading to my bloggedy blog -> Kristin's News <- and checking out October, November & December archives as most of the images there (unless noted) are taken with it. Great battery life, tiny enough to go anywhere, great photos, reasonably good images even at higher ISOs. No manual controls on this one but there are plenty of scene modes and options to get good images in a nice variety of lighting and scenes.

Larger and maybe at the edge of budget - Canon G series. The G11 is the newest one, I think, so maybe look for a second hand G9 or G10. Excellent cameras with the capability to let you learn manual controls if you want to later.

Midsized and a range of budgets - Canon A series. Some have manual controls, some don't.

I adore the Canon compact range because they all do very very well.

Panasonic has a couple of gems in its line-up but they may be at the upper end of your budget.

I'm not a fan of the Olympus range (unfortunately, coz I love the idea of them) or the Nikon range.

You will be able to make your dollars work harder for you if you are willing to order from the US. All of my compact cameras come from overseas as I have never found an Aussie retailer who could compete with the prices.

Edited by kja

I am also interested in this thread as OH would like to do some photography, but doesn't want to lug a DSLR around on long hikes & bush walks.

Just trying to remember who on here has a Lumix, from recollection it takes very nice piccies?

I think Wolfsong has a Lumix and she takes great pictures with it. I also have one that gets pulled out every now and then (less now that I have borrowed the DSLR), although I took it to Soundwave recently. These were taken from pretty far back in the crowd, zoomed in as far as it would go:

4372107887_a942ec8d2b.jpg

4372107703_5f89757a22.jpg

This is one of my favourites from the Lumix:

4099155261_5b4d1a70f1.jpg

I too have a Lumix.

I dropped my old camera on Christmas Day and discovered that they don't bounce.

I went into Harvey Norman to be told that it would cost more to repair and I was better off getting a new one.

The Lumix I was looking at was $699 at HN and so I went to Wow where I was given a price of $649.

I looked on ebay with no luck and then a workmate suggested I buy from Hong Kong on the web.

Got the same camera for AUD $214, added a case for 99 cents, and a 16gb memory card for $60.

I paid with paypal on a Sunday evening and fedex delivered to me on the following Wednesday.

Fantastic!

Edited by Lesley

JB HiFi have the Lumix advertised at $246 until March 22nd. I presume this is the current model, though it doesn't say.

ETA No it is not the TZ7, which retails for just over $500 & is not in stock. Apparently the TZ10 is due in any day & will be priced at $693 :D

Definitely better to buy off-shore!

Edited by trifecta

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC. Bought it in August 2006 so it's a bit old now. It's still my take anywhere camera, I think it's great. Back in 2006 it was around $400 so was never a cheap pocket digital.

It has a Leica lens, which makes it a great little pocket digital I think. Here are a few pics taken with it back in 2006. It's a great little pocket camera and I had no clue about taking photos back then, which is why I just did the point and click thing with it.

To give you an idea of straight out of camera jpgs from it, this image below is straight out of camera with no photoshop used on it, I used the Landscape setting which increases the blue and green saturation. It also has image stabilisation and a movie mode, and comes with a tiny tripod which would fit in its case.

4429882181_6da10e5729_o.jpg

4429882177_ae76c6ecf2_o.jpg

This image was slightly sharpened in PS due to slight movement blur of wild squirrel

4428944336_9d461e393c_o.jpg

Edited by Ripley