Shadows In Pics...

redangel

Photography is pretty much 'painting with light' - without light you have nothing. You need to understand light and how it falls and also how to manipulate it to take great photos.

Here is a basic summary of shooting using natural light (just scroll down to the second post on the page)

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...0846&st=210

I actually like your photo. There is nothing wrong with having a bit of contrast in a shot :)

Edited by Ashanali

don't mind the dark either, but what I would love to see is catchlights in both eyes, so they don't just disappear into the face, and also I think you have some blown highlights on the light side of the face (easy way to see is check with the eyedropper in photoshop on that area, and get a reading on that area - 255 is blown.) Agree with the advice to use a reflector, if you don't have one, you can lso use a reflective car shade, or even a piece of white foamboard to reflect. Something I use when photographing a person is position them, and then have them turn slowly in a 360 degree circle, so I can see how the light is falling on their face, and whether I have a nice light on the face in their face or not (obviously something a little harder with a dog!!!) , but with experience, you will get better at reading the light