Antibiotic Q

Just had a phone call from a dear old lady who wants to know if Cephalexin would be prescribed for dogs. Long story and a sad one, but she doesn't know which medication is hers and which is the dogs :mad

I got her to spell the drug name off the back of the bubble pack, apparently they're capsules and it says Cephalexin 500mg (which seems a heck of a lot for a dog) it's a Lab height cattle/lab/who knows, I'd guess she weighs 25/30kg? with a cut on her leg.

Her vet is closed and it's all too confusing to expect her to phone a different vet, I will if no one here can give a definitive answer. No pills required until tonight.

Yes, I have a rescue here on it now.

However they are in tablet form.

Do you have a brand name or manufacturer?

There are several brands, I don't think capsules though.

Edited by Crisovar

Thanks for that - I will go around and see her later to get a manufacturer's name & check out the other pills she's confused about. Does 500mg sound excessive for a dog that sort of size? Did to me, but then I'm not sure how bad this "cut" on the dog's leg is.

I only met her because of her a dog, really sad to see her so alone and confused and the family doesn't seem to care or notice :mad

Thanks for that - I will go around and see her later to get a manufacturer's name & check out the other pills she's confused about. Does 500mg sound excessive for a dog that sort of size? Did to me, but then I'm not sure how bad this "cut" on the dog's leg is.

I only met her because of her a dog, really sad to see her so alone and confused and the family doesn't seem to care or notice :mad

The dose rate is usually about 20-30mg/kg, so not really an excessive dose at all.

The dose rate is usually about 20-30mg/kg, so not really an excessive dose at all.

Ah - OK. Thanks for that. Will take my calculator too. DOL is a great fount of all knowledge

Poor dear...sounds like its time for her to chat to her pharmacy and organise for them to make up those daily medication packs for her

She takes EVERYTHING out of their packets and puts them in little jars all over the house.

Probably should be grateful she hasn't already taken the dog's medication (if that's what it is!) out of the bubble packs and put them in jars.

Don't ask for an aspirin, you might end up with a dog worm pill.

Just an update. Went to her place and went through the kitchen bin (unfortunately not quite so fanatically "filed" as the rest of the house) and found the packaging from the vet. It is the dog's medication, to be given twice a day. They aren't capsules but oval shaped pills which are a sort of pink/purple colour so perhaps her eyesight isn't so good any more.

Thanks for all the help!

I didn't look at this thread cause I know nothing about Antibiotic Q. Cephelexin . . . ya . . . everybody is right. It's the same stuff as Rilexene and some vets prescribe a more generic Ceph. I've taken dog meds on occasion to guard against infection from dog bites, and I've given my own pills to the dogs on occasion (with veterinary advice). No diff. although I don't much care for liver-flavored tablets. Doses are variable, but a medium dose for a Labrador is close to a human dose.

Edited by sandgrubber

Poor dear...sounds like its time for her to chat to her pharmacy and organise for them to make up those daily medication packs for her

She takes EVERYTHING out of their packets and puts them in little jars all over the house.

Probably should be grateful she hasn't already taken the dog's medication (if that's what it is!) out of the bubble packs and put them in jars.

Does she have any reason in particular for doing that?

Does she have any reason in particular for doing that?

Lacking a physiciatry (sp! :whiteflag:) degree I would have no idea :confused: