Need To Vent, Need Help

LisaB85

A week ago, I got a new puppy. Since then, I have been taking the puppy to the toilet outside every hour or so, and it has been going very well, with him having only 1-2 accidents and even starting to take himself outside to go. It is a large, protective breed and I have hence been working to train him every day.

However, my sister does not have the same attitude towards dogs. Whilst I love her, this is one area on which we strongly disagree, and I don't actually think she should really be allowed to own dogs. She doesn't believe in training or discipline, and buys small dogs so that, "no matter how bad a job I do, they can never hurt anyone." Despite being over a year old, they are not toilet trained, and go wherever whenever. They do not know any commands, and do not come when called. This aside, they're her dogs, and there is nothing I can do about it, (I have been trying to educate her for years, and if anything, my lecturing makes it worse.)

My mum insisted on her being allowed to bring her dogs to my house, because otherwise my sister was refusing to come, and like my sister, she doesn't really think dogs need to be treated like dogs, deserve to be treated like dogs, rather than toys...

Anyway, they peed all through my living room. Which sucks, but if that was all I'd be fine. But my dog has been suddenly peeing inside as well. And tonight, when I took him outside to go, we waited for 20mins (he usually goes straight away) but he still hadn't. The second we went back inside, he went.

What do I do? How do I stop him from thinking he should be going where the other dogs went?

A week ago, I got a new puppy. Since then, I have been taking the puppy to the toilet outside every hour or so, and it has been going very well, with him having only 1-2 accidents and even starting to take himself outside to go. It is a large, protective breed and I have hence been working to train him every day.

However, my sister does not have the same attitude towards dogs. Whilst I love her, this is one area on which we strongly disagree, and I don't actually think she should really be allowed to own dogs. She doesn't believe in training or discipline, and buys small dogs so that, "no matter how bad a job I do, they can never hurt anyone." Despite being over a year old, they are not toilet trained, and go wherever whenever. They do not know any commands, and do not come when called. This aside, they're her dogs, and there is nothing I can do about it, (I have been trying to educate her for years, and if anything, my lecturing makes it worse.)

My mum insisted on her being allowed to bring her dogs to my house, because otherwise my sister was refusing to come, and like my sister, she doesn't really think dogs need to be treated like dogs, deserve to be treated like dogs, rather than toys...

Anyway, they peed all through my living room. Which sucks, but if that was all I'd be fine. But my dog has been suddenly peeing inside as well. And tonight, when I took him outside to go, we waited for 20mins (he usually goes straight away) but he still hadn't. The second we went back inside, he went.

What do I do? How do I stop him from thinking he should be going where the other dogs went?

Basically what is happening is your dog is marking their territory as the other dogs have tried to "lay claim" to what was his.

Every place he goes to the toilet in your house make sure you clean it up with White Vinegar or my all purpose cleaner (see recipe below) . This breaks down the enzymes and gets rid of the smell. If you use a cleaner such as Pinesol or anything like that it actually smells like dog urine to your dog and they will continue to go back to that area.

ALL PURPOSE CLEANER

In a 1 litre spray bottle add the following

1/4 cup eucalyptus oil (make sure its the real thing)

1 cup white vinegar

20-30 cold pressed Lemon Essential oil (this is expensive but it adds a freshness and helps dispurse the urine smell).

mix this together in the spray bottle, shake well and allow to set overnight. The next day top the bottle up with water and shake well to mix.

Whenever your dogs wees (works with poo as well) soak up the excess moisture (or pick up the solids) spary with cleaner - let set for a minute and soak up with towel or paper towel till touch dry.

I havent had a dog yet go back to the same spot if I cleaned up their accident with this mix. Its also makes a great shower cleaner as well.

I dont think that your toilet training is undone just yet :(

You need to get rid of the scent of the urine before it becomes a habit though and maybe try blocking off the loungeroom for a few days or restricting the pups access while he is in there by either crating him or keeping him on leash.

I have read here that biozet washing powder is quite good for accidents (breaks down the enzymes), there are a few commercial products on the market too which should do the trick (Natures Miracle, Urine Off etc.) And if there is a lot of pee you could always try steam cleaning your carpet as well (and sending your sister the bill!)

If you able to get rid of the scent and keep up the praise when your puppy goes outside it shouldn't be too much of a setback :eek:

In future I'd be refusing to let your sister have her loose dogs inside your house until they are toilet trained. If she refuses to come then too bad.

We use bicarb and vinegar to get rid of pee smells.

I think you also need to address the issue of letting your sister's dogs in the house. It's YOUR house, not your mothers or your sisters, so they abide by YOUR rules. And if it means no sisters dogs in the house than so be it. You are not being mean or cruel by saying no and sticking to your guns. I definitely wouldn't want two non toilet trained dogs in my house, and I wouldn't care if I offended someone by saying that their dog wasn't welcome.

Thanks for all the replies. My puppy tried to pee in the house again this morning, but I grabbed him and raced him outside, and fortunately because he was already going, he was forced to finish outside so I could once again praise him for doing the right thing.

Her dogs will not be coming over again anytime soon. I was quite upset and angry last night, and I think they finally understand why.

It gets worse though. They pour all the food for their dogs into a bowl in the morning, and leave it out all day. I feed my puppy 3 meals a day, and make him sit, wait etc. So I asked them to keep the food out of reach for him, which they did. However, at the end of the night, they poured all of the leftover food into my garden, right onto the spot my puppy has been trained to go to the toilet. So no wonder he won't go there. I have been desperately trying to clean it up, but they also hosed everything down bc their dogs actually peed on the table, so the dog food is all soggy and stuck in the ground.

Ugh so angry!

Your sister sounds very disprectful of you. I wouldn't be allowing her dogs in my home again. Thats for sure.

I wonder if she'll change her views on dog ownship when she later sees your well trained & well adjusted pooch? Her home must smell really bad :D

HOw awful!

GIve your sister a very stern talking too, make her dogs stay outside and then tell them they are never to come back and bring their dogs again. How downright rude!

I would give the carpet a good going over with Urine off (or something equivalent) then get it cleaned really well, then srpay it again in the aresa you know have been pee'd on , or even just all over general.

Start afresh.

Oh and I would be sending the cleaning bill to your sister. I just cannot beleive that she and your mother would think allowing their dogs to do that is acceptable. How soon till they go? Lay down ground rules NOW

Does your mother allow the dog to pee in her house!? :D Maybe she'd behave differently to her daughter if the wee was in her house!

Crikey...I wouldn't be allowing your sister into your house......she obviously has no respect for your feelings, so you shouldn't feel guilty about refusing her and her dogs permission into your house!!!! :)

We just used white vinegar (which will get rid of the urine smell) and stop your dog wanting to "remark" his scent there. Otherwise if you prefer you local vet/ pet produce place will have something called Urine off - which gets rid of the smell but white vinegar or biozet works just as well IMO

nothing more i can add cuz it's all been said!

BUT!

... My mum insisted on her being allowed to bring her dogs to my house, because otherwise my sister was refusing to come ...

your mum insisted!??! because your sister was refusing to come otherwise!??!

how disrespectful and what a pair of fricken control freaks...

man, not in my house ... no way no how, out the back and stfu or leave *hands on hips*

i wish you much good luck lisa