Just Letting Everyone Know What The Latest News Is On Simba

toughgirl27

Hey Everyone,

Simba had really bad diarrhoea yesterday. He went to the vet (AGAIN$$$$) today.

Not his usual vet, another vet at the pracice.

Anyhoo, he is now getting i/d can food 1/2 can three times a day with a heaped

tablespoon of PAW Prebiotic Powder.

She gave him a noroclav injection and his weekly cartrophen inj.

She doesn't think it's a reaction to the macrolone or other tabs he has been given previously.

And is still saying that if his limping doesn't go away, he will need an x-ray.

Why don't they just do the x-ray? It would be better to at least know if there is anything major

going on with him wouldn't it? :laugh:

My parents have been taking him to the vet lately as I have been working.

But I think I need to say something about this. I'm really stressed out about the whole thing.

XXToughgirlxxx

I'm not sure if this will be of any value or not as I dont know what is wrong with Simba.

I have a dog who had recently had on and of tummy upsets for well over a month. The first the vet diagnosed as a tummy bug but after that there was no real reason. Anyhow, I took hi to the chiro a few weeks back who adjusted his back and aked me if there had been any recent tummy upsets.

Apparantly the area that was 'out' related back to digestion problems/tummy upsets/IBS etc. Since seeing the chiro he has certainly been much better. Maybe that is something that you could look into? A chiro might be able to help with the limp too.

Apart from that does Simba have an intollerance to certain foods that could be causing the issue? (certain types of meat or grain?) Does I/D have rice in it? I've never used it so I dont know, but when I was told to put my boy on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice the rice did not agree with him at all. We switched it for mashed pumpkin instead which was much better for him and then to raw pureed carrot which also worked nicely.

Have you tried an elimination diet?

I hope you can get it sorted.

Sorry to hear that Simba has had an upset tummy!

Why don't they just do the x-ray? It would be better to at least know if there is anything major

going on with him wouldn't it? :whiteflag:

If you want xrays, you can get them. You're paying, it's your dog. Just ask for the xrays to be done!

Thanks, Wolfsong. He didn't have a dirty butt tonight so here's hoping he's over the worst of it and the i/d and powder

will do the trick.

Cheers for your post Flyingfurball. :confused:

SecretKei,

Simba has only really had diarrhoea for a day or so and apart from a couple of times when he has had too many different foods eg treats from dad, biscuits from me, bits of my pizza (bad I know!!! But I don't do that now.) He hasn't really had any tummy upsets.

The chiro seems like a good idea. I'll look into it Asap. :whiteflag:

Thank you guys for your support. It really means a lot to me. :laugh::rofl:

XXToughgirlXxxx

Any time you see squirty poos - step back and think what you would do if it was you who had the problem.

Stop solids and only fluids with probiotics for about 12 hours.

Sometimes owners think they have a problem when they dont.

Different foods will give different poo consistency and when you feed dry dog food they need more fluids which also waters down the poos and any type of canned food is notorious for the skirts.

So you need to be able to describe what you think you are seeing. When you say runny - how runny.Is it like toothpaste or a bit looser or is it like water. What colour is it? How long as he had it ? What are you feeding etc.

If you had no injury you could pin point a stiff joint or stiiff muscle to you wouldnt expect to race off to the doctor unless it was not getting better after a week or so and even then it would be unlikely the doctor would send you off for Xrays straight away and its no different for your dog. Xrays are a pain and cost lots of money - they stress the dog and the vet has to guess about what bit of the dog is actually causing the limp because the dog cant asy where its a bit tender so its not really a good idea to go stright in and Xray most times.

So - tell me - how runny are the poos, how long have the poos been runny?

What you feed him? How often how much?

How old is he? What size is he ?

When was he wormed last,and vaccinated last - is he on heart worm meds - if so what sort ?

How long has he had the limp and describe the movement - is he favouring one side or which leg etc.

Does he get up quickly or slowly, does he run or jump?

He may have to be put under anaesthesia or heavy sedation for the x-ray to be done - putting dogs under GA/sedation is not something the vet will do lightly. Zero has hip problems and our vet has told me to explore other options before having him xrayed because last time he was put under, he took a long time to come around. Your vet may be concerned about putting a sick dog under sedation if there are other options. If in doubt, call your vet and ask.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

He may have to be put under anaesthesia or heavy sedation for the x-ray to be done - putting dogs under GA/sedation is not something the vet will do lightly. Zero has hip problems and our vet has told me to explore other options before having him xrayed because last time he was put under, he took a long time to come around. Your vet may be concerned about putting a sick dog under sedation if there are other options. If in doubt, call your vet and ask.

Lestat is the same (Zero's brother from another mother :confused: ). Last time I had him under he had everyone worried for awhile (didn't help that I was in the room to helping the nurse!)

The vet at the time suggested that I avoid putting him under again unless I absolutly have to.

Took him a very long time to come around again.

Sorry to hear that Simba has had an upset tummy!

going on with him wouldn't it? :)

If you want xrays, you can get them. You're paying, it's your dog. Just ask for the xrays to be done!

Yeah I know Bindii, and I will ask. But I feel bad as I have an account with them. I'm a proud person and it's not easy.

XXtoughgirlXXx

Simba has been under GA b4 twice. Once for his hip X-ray and again when he swallowed a plastic toy with

a piece of string attached!!!! Maybe the vet is concerned about that, I will ask.

Simba had diarrhoea for a day. really bad. looked like water and was yellow in colour.

He is three years of age, i feed him twice a day 3/4 cups Eagle Pack Holistic Select Salmon & Anchovy Dry food.

I have been changing his feeding around, I'll admit. As I wanted him to lose weight. He was getting 1,1/2 cups once a day,

and b4 that 1 cup twice a day. He is currently 30kg but I would like him to be between 27-30kg because of his joint problems.

I don't feed him canned food. Oh I do add kangaroo or beef mince for him to take his glucosamine, fish oil, asnd celery seed tabs.

I ran out last week and put them in cheese. But only a couple of times. Mum and Dad have also been giving him Dog carob chocolate

treats.

He was last wormed on the 21st of feb. Advocate. But I am changing back to Sentinel as I think it is easier because it covers all types of worms.

Oh, and his poo tonight was solid YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

XXToughgirlXX

going on with him wouldn't it? :laugh:

Lestat is the same (Zero's brother from another mother :laugh: ). Last time I had him under he had everyone worried for awhile (didn't help that I was in the room to helping the nurse!)

The vet at the time suggested that I avoid putting him under again unless I absolutly have to.

Took him a very long time to come around again.

I'm sorry to hear that, Wolfsong.

I would be a mess If I were in surgery with my boy!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for your post.

Thanks to everyone. :)

XXtoughgirlXX