Poodle Weight

shells

I have 2 miniature poodles. Male and Female both turning 1 year old tomorrow :)

My male dog weighs 8.5kgs and my female 10.5kgs

Both are regularly wormed and fed the same diet (I supervise meal times, bones ect) and exercised for between 40mins to 1 hour a day with lots of ball chasing.

The recommended adult weight for miniature poodles is between 12-14kgs and whilst I dont doubt my female will make it I am getting concerned about my male.

We saw the vet on Wednesday (who wasnt concerned) but was wondering if I should feed him something different.

ATM they are on Artemis (we have recently changed 2 weeks ago and they dont seem to be taking to it but they have never been big dry food lovers), daily chicken necks/wings with a weekly lamb bone.

He has recently had some ear problems (undiagnosed grass seed which was treated as a yeast infection) and been on antibiotic drops for 20 days with a 2 week break and is now back on Otomax drops plus and anti inflamitory tablet with another antibiotic tablet (one ear was ruptured the other just infected) - Poor Guy.

I have some Advance and Supercoat both which they love - put away in the cupboard should I offer some of that with the Artemis?

The weight difference between the 2 is quite noticeble to me.

Different dogs different metabolisms, you may just need to juggle quanitites IF your male is underweight.

If your dogs are in good body condition I wouldn't be worrying about recommended weights.

You wouldn't want an undersized mini reaching that weight, or trying to keep a way oversized one down just to fit a weight chart.

As an aside, mine hated Artemis and didn't do well on it at all.

Shells:

The recommended adult weight for miniature poodles is between 12-14kgs and whilst I dont doubt my female will make it I am getting concerned about my male.

Crikey! :) That's twice the weight of my boys. Are you sure that's not pounds rather than kilos?

Shells, I don't find weight a very useful indicator of body condition. Putting your hands on the dog is better. If you can feel rib with the flat of your hand without having to press, that's considered lean. Slight pressing - probably ok. But no rib = pudgy.

Darcy my youngest boy was on two meals a day until he was 18 months old and was very lean as a youngster. Now he's older he carries more weight (to the point it has to be monitored)

Unless your boy looks like a toast rack, I honestly wouldn't worry. In development terms, he's stilll a teenager.

If you want them to eat their kibble with more relish, make sure they're really hungry. Feeding them a few hours later than usual and after exercise will often do the trick.

Edited by poodlefan

Oops - just had a look and it said from 6-12 kgs. I for some reason had a weight of 10kgs in my head. 12kgs would make them very fat. I would say my female is solid now.

The are oversized but look good.

Shells, I don't find weight a very useful indicator of body condition. Putting your hands on the dog is better. If you can feel rib with the flat of your hand without having to press, that's considered lean. Slight pressing - probably ok. But no rib = pudgy.

Going by this I would say he is quite lean and she could do with dropping a kilo :rofl:. If we are at the offleash park he gallops around and she happily trots by my side. If I pull the ball out they will both run for ages tough he beats her 9 times out of 10 :laugh:

f you want them to eat their kibble with more relish, make sure they're really hungry. Feeding them a few hours later than usual and after exercise will often do the trick.

That worked well this morning - they both ate their kibble happily after we went and played ball for an 40 mins - I took them for a special birthday walk and picked up some treats whilst we were out :laugh:

Edited by shells

My males have always been on the thin side compared to my girl . My old boy Rocky never really filled out till he was about 3 or 4 years,but he was never fat 8-9 kg. D'Argo currently 3 and about 15 inches weighs around 8-9kg ,he eats well but he feels thin under the hair. Shanania has always had a weight problem only has to look at food and on goes the weight,typical girl.She is usually around 10kg but has been more ,she is desexed so may make a difference ,the boys weren't.

My males have always been on the thin side compared to my girl . My old boy Rocky never really filled out till he was about 3 or 4 years,but he was never fat 8-9 kg. D'Argo currently 3 and about 15 inches weighs around 8-9kg ,he eats well but he feels thin under the hair. Shanania has always had a weight problem only has to look at food and on goes the weight,typical girl.She is usually around 10kg but has been more ,she is desexed so may make a difference ,the boys weren't.

My 2 sound very similar. Both desexed (and desexed a little early - just short of 5 months) so I wonder if that has affected him. I guess he hasnt filled out either but he is happy and healthy and wins the race to the ball 9 times out of 10 :D .

I agree with the other posts, feed to body condition not what a book or someone else says ia the desired weight range - they are usually averages anyway.

I also think - have you ever seen a fat athlete??? No they are lean and muscly with little or no fat. Yours dogs are athlete and poodles should be very athletic. Therefore they should be lean mean running machines, not toast racks as mentioned, but lean with good muscle.