Hard To Mate Female

zzz Top

Do you all have a vet do the AI or can you do it yours self if you have the male ?

I AI myself, I cant justify paying someone $100ish to do it. I learnt from my friend and mentor. There are some great websites to help you out if you can find them. The collection part is easy, putting the canular or tube in the bitch is the tricky bit, they dont like it when it scrates their insides. And knowing the ins and outs of what temp to keep the semen and how long it will stay viable outside the dogs body is something you need to read up on. The more you know the better the result or at least the best chance to succeed.

UTube is a great idea Missymoo, I would never have thought to go there.

i collect my own,its pretty easy,but i have found a lot of vets dont have the faintest clue.

I use a pipette/syringe as the pipette has a rounded end-i dont use an insertion tube like some vets,i use 2 fingers and slide the pipette under and in the groove the two fingers make.

I wont go into any more detail!!!!!!

ETS- they actually have that on Youtube :thumbsup:

Edited by centitout

Twenty years ago I had a litter of 13 from a hastily improvised AI as the bitch was nearing the end of her fertile period and we couldn't get a natural mating. The dog was collected in a warmed wine glass and the semen introduced into the bitch using a syringe. We then held the bitch in a position where her rear end was higher than her front for about 10 minutes and voila, 13 puppies 63 days later.

I don't recommend that you use such a crude method, but it just shows what's possible :thumbsup:

I've also found an ET tube about a size 2-3 for is very effective with a semen safe syringe. I've found some pipette's to soft and curl as you try & rise them over the pelvic rim. use the fingers as a guide too.

Also used the cattle pippetes for very large dogs, but they are very firm and could cause damage if you are not experienced.

fifi

I've also found an ET tube about a size 2-3 for is very effective with a semen safe syringe. I've found some pipette's to soft and curl as you try & rise them over the pelvic rim. use the fingers as a guide too.

Also used the cattle pippetes for very large dogs, but they are very firm and could cause damage if you are not experienced.

fifi

Thats what i use,cattle ones as the girls are quite 'big",as as my boys say-could drive a truck through there :thumbsup:

Never thought about an ET tube,will scab one off my vets!

i collect my own,its pretty easy,but i have found a lot of vets dont have the faintest clue.

I use a pipette/syringe as the pipette has a rounded end-i dont use an insertion tube like some vets,i use 2 fingers and slide the pipette under and in the groove the two fingers make.

I wont go into any more detail!!!!!!

ETS- they actually have that on Youtube :rofl:

That's a great idea delivering it straight from the syringe. I found these nifty little canula tubes at work one day, they are mixing canula's that are used in laboratories. They are strong plastic with a 'scratchy' bit on the end, so I guide it in with my finger over the tip. Works a treat and gets the semen in a fair distance down the vaginal passage. Reduces the time you have to stand there with a thumb up her and holding her bum up in the air.

Great to know that when I run out of them I can just use a syringe.

Miranda-thats classic insemination :thumbsup: love it!