Importing A Dog

jdonly1

Our Tibbie girl, Annie, was imported from Sweden by the Australian breeder who showed her.

The breeder gave me some of the papers associated with that....like there's something called an export pedigree from the Swedish Kennel Cub.

Interesting read....of course, it's in Swedish.

I havent done it but there is a lot of communicaiton and timing involved,and of course money. It can be particularly difficult if you are communicating with a country who's first language is not English.

There are different rules for different countries regarding Quarantine into Australia. Some are easier than others, such as the UK, Sweden etc...

We did from Germany via Belgium.

Dogs need to be a certain age for tests to start,we brought ours out early which meant she had to serve 63 days instead of 30 .

During that time you either need the breeder to run on the pup or find a puppy raiser who will plus do the running around.

If its an adult more easier as its just going through the test phase.

We used a brilliant shipping agent which also makes or breaks the whole process.

Not the easiest process but very doable but comes at a price & alot of patience

this is of interest to me as well, and I will be reading the previous link throughly, but does anyone know the process and cost for the same with semen. it seems very hard to learn the ropes, I am dedicated to my dogs, but have not been involved since a child and I constantly feel disadvantaged.

I am a sponge and am trying to soak up as much as possible :thumbsup:

We took our dogs with us from the Netherlands and they had to go through a lot more then I had to for my visa :thumbsup: The link Ellz posted is the only one you can use and follow to meet all vaccinations etc. Most important thing to have the 30 day quarantine time is if you start on time with the rabies vaccination.

this is of interest to me as well, and I will be reading the previous link throughly, but does anyone know the process and cost for the same with semen. it seems very hard to learn the ropes, I am dedicated to my dogs, but have not been involved since a child and I constantly feel disadvantaged.

I am a sponge and am trying to soak up as much as possible :)

The process is a little different for semen, but still requires, lots of money, patience, a good shipping agent and a vet in the dogs country that can understand the process despite language barriers in some cases!

The dog being collected must have been Rabies vaccinated in the last 12 mths. They need to have blood tests done for Brucellosis and Leptospira viruses within a 30 day period of the semen collection. ( so you can blood test, get results and collect all in the same week if you can, but the collection can't be done any later than 30days post bloods or the bloods have to be run again).

Then a health certificate check must be carried out no less than 21days post semen collection. The tank then must be sealed and paperwork signed off by an official state vet before being despatched.

The costs can run into the many thousands depending on the veterinary costs in the local country and the stud fee agreements with the dogs owner. Some stud owners expect stud fees straight up for all the breedings from the collection, others are happy with a single stud fee upfront and remaining stud fees paid as you use the breedings etc. Really depends on your relationship with the stud owner. Some might even ask for travel costs to transport the dog to and from the vets, although both times I have imported semen ( USA & Europe) I offered travel money and both owners refused ;) despite they both had fair distances to travel to find a good repo vet.

I would still say importing semen is cheaper than importing a dog however that all comes down to what is expected of stud fees etc. Obviously, the shipping costs are a lot less, but the paperwork and timing is even more tedious.