Car Harness Question

Jodi1981

Just checked my car and looked in the user manual. It seems that the anchor points are at the rear of the hatchback, right up close to the hatch door. The manual also says something about an ISOFIX bar........

Just went out again and looked between the rear seat bit and rear backrest and there are four sort of u-shaped thick/heavy bars right there [didn't know they were there hiding under the seat covers]. Would I be able to use the bars and not the tether bit at the rear of the hatch. If so, what sort of clip would be best? Perhaps just a short lead attached to the harness or is there a special clip/tether that would attach to both harness and bar? Hope I'm explaining what I mean properly lol....

ETA My car is an '06 Mazda 2 hatch.

Like this?? http://waggle.com.au/petbuckle-b18/kwik-connect-tether-p272

It is supposed to connect to the LATCH bar. I think that is what you are describing?

Yeah, that looks almost right. Does the tether hook attach to the latch bar and if so how does the other end of the tether attach to the dog's harness? Doesn't look like any type of catch is on the other end of the tether....

Edited by iggy mum

Just checked my car and looked in the user manual. It seems that the anchor points are at the rear of the hatchback, right up close to the hatch door. The manual also says something about an ISOFIX bar........

Just went out again and looked between the rear seat bit and rear backrest and there are four sort of u-shaped thick/heavy bars right there [didn't know they were there hiding under the seat covers]. Would I be able to use the bars and not the tether bit at the rear of the hatch. If so, what sort of clip would be best? Perhaps just a short lead attached to the harness or is there a special clip/tether that would attach to both harness and bar? Hope I'm explaining what I mean properly lol....

It is supposed to connect to the LATCH bar. I think that is what you are describing?

Yeah, that looks almost right. Does the tether hook attach to the latch bar and if so how does the other end of the tether attach to the dog's harness? Doesn't look like any type of catch is on the other end of the tether....

Okay, it's a little hard to explain but the thing at the bottom of the part that looks like a seatbelt catch is the part that attaches to the bar.

Rather than have a clip that pushes into the top of it (which it looks like it does) the catch is one whole piece. When you press it against the bar the catch at the bottom springs back and attaches. To release it you press down on the red part at the top of the catch.

The hook at the top of the tether is the part that clips to the dogs harness.

You can use the loop bit with the ring at the end to attach to your seatbelt (loop it through and then the tether clips on to that) if you dont have a LATCH bar.

Does that make sense at all??

Okay, it's a little hard to explain but the thing at the bottom of the part that looks like a seatbelt catch is the part that attaches to the bar.

Rather than have a clip that pushes into the top of it (which it looks like it does) the catch is one whole piece. When you press it against the bar the catch at the bottom springs back and attaches. To release it you press down on the red part at the top of the catch.

The hook at the top of the tether is the part that clips to the dogs harness.

You can use the loop bit with the ring at the end to attach to your seatbelt (loop it through and then the tether clips on to that) if you dont have a LATCH bar.

Does that make sense at all??

Yes that does make sense!! Thanks heaps. It must just be that the picture wasn't all that clear on the Petbuckle website and I couldn't see that there was a clip attached to the other end of the tether. Thanks again everyone!!

Just spotted these pet harness seat belt tethers, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=180480093840

I have one in a similar style to that. It was $10 from Big W and I think it might be a Kramer brand?? It's not too bad.

I tend to use it a lot for quick trips around here but on a few occasions my dog has managed to pop it out by accidently stepping on the seatbelt clip, so for that reason I only use the PetBuckle tether for longer drives. I also find that the Petbuckle tether is a lot stronger and being that it doesn't have the snap hook it is also a lot safer (no chance of it comming apart under strain)

The problem I have with the cheaper tethers is that the hardware on them is pretty crappy. It will keep the dog in place in the car but really there is no way it would hold up in an accident or even under heavy braking. (Particularly if you have a big dog)

I did pick up a cheap tether which I would say would be identical to the one in the link. It came from Cheap as Chips and cost me around $2, but it didn't seem to be too strong at all and I ended up giving it away and buying the Kramer one instead.

Personally I think you get what you pay for :eek:

I have one in a similar style to that. It was $10 from Big W and I think it might be a Kramer brand?? It's not too bad.

I tend to use it a lot for quick trips around here but on a few occasions my dog has managed to pop it out by accidently stepping on the seatbelt clip, so for that reason I only use the PetBuckle tether for longer drives. I also find that the Petbuckle tether is a lot stronger and being that it doesn't have the snap hook it is also a lot safer (no chance of it comming apart under strain)

The problem I have with the cheaper tethers is that the hardware on them is pretty crappy. It will keep the dog in place in the car but really there is no way it would hold up in an accident or even under heavy braking. (Particularly if you have a big dog)

I did pick up a cheap tether which I would say would be identical to the one in the link. It came from Cheap as Chips and cost me around $2, but it didn't seem to be too strong at all and I ended up giving it away and buying the Kramer one instead.

Personally I think you get what you pay for :eek:

I tend to agree with you, but seeing as my dogs are little, I've ordered two and will try them out. I only go short distances anyway. I've recently got a crate for longer distances. Under twelve dollars for the two incl postage so not much lost if they are no good. May get one Petbuckle to compare.

Just been trying to find Kramer tether online but nothing. Where did you get yours from and how much?

Having a good quality seat belt is important, and so is having a good quality tether.

A lot of 'seat belts' sold aren't safety tested - they might be ok for keeping your dog in the back seat, but wouldn't work as a seat belt in the same way human seat belts work.

It depends on if you want something to keep your dog in the back seat but not provide protection, or a proper seat belt that should provide protection like a human seat belt.

Edited by Baby Dragon