New Puppy

Maddi1146

I have just bought a new great dane puppy and I am a bit confused as to what to do.

I have three other dogs at home and they all get along great. They new girl is fine with them.

When I brought her home last night she sat in the door way and stayed there till dinner time.

All the other three ate. She sat there looking at the wall.

I eventually coaxed her into eating by putting piece by piece in her mouth. We then moved onto eating out of my hand to finally eating out of the bowl.

This morning was a similar thing she did eat out of the bowl with out doing the whole hand to bowl thing.

But it was like she was scared to eat out of the bowl. She did but with her head out stretched not wanting to move close to the bowl.

Any ideas on what I should do. There was no aggression so should I just put the bowl down and wait for her to go to it?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Do you know anything about how she was raised? Maybe she has been fed in a "free for all" type arrangement and is not sure of her place in her "new pack?"

Perhaps like Gretel said you could feed her well away from the other dogs until she is more sure of herself.

Congrats on your new pup :thumbsup:

I wouldn't panic unless it goes on for a few days without her eating. We'll never know what is going on in a puppy's head . . . but in my experiences, hunger does eventually take control. Admitted, I have Labs, and hunger seems to be in control always, even after just eating a large meal ;) :thumbsup: ;)

I wouldn't panic unless it goes on for a few days without her eating. We'll never know what is going on in a puppy's head . . . but in my experiences, hunger does eventually take control. Admitted, I have Labs, and hunger seems to be in control always, even after just eating a large meal :rofl: ;) :D

:thumbsup: ;)

My dog won't eat out of metal/steel bowls at all. When we put her into boarding kennel, we've been asked to bring our own. Maybe your dog is worried about the sound of the bowl...?

I have Labs, so may have biased opinion. But, dogs don't often starve themselves when food is on offer. They can pick up on attempts to help in a way that makes the situation worse. I'd say that unless the pup is looking really starved, let it float for a few days. My guess is that the pup will come around and work into some sort of dog-logic pack.

She did eat last night and this morning. Would just like to do it with the other dogs aswell.

Also she is 5months old so I don't want it to become a problem with food.

I think she is people shy.

Where is she from?

How did you find her?

What's been her life up to now?

Edited by poodlefan