Xrays And Hip Scoring

Tilly

My youngest is almost 12 months old and I was looking at getting him xrayed and hip-scored at about 13 months of age. I was told this is the best age to get it done ... is this right or should I wait until he is 2 years old?

I wasn't overly happy with the last place we used (but I can't remember where that was) ... so I am looking for recommends - where is a good place to take a GSD's for the xrays etc? Basically somewhere where they have all the forms etc so I don't have to chase around for copies etc.

I am the southside of Brisbane but don't mind a bit of a drive :)

You need to apply for the A Z contract through German Shepherd club. Most people are either getting them done out at Toowoomba or Ipswich and then get sent to Vic or WA. If you would like contact details please PM me :(

Has anyone ever sent films to OFA? (I know its in the USA).

Yes i sent Lexi's there. I had hers scored by the AVA and then I sent them to Dr Wyburn in WA and then to the OFA. Interesting that the AVA scored the hips the highest - Dr Wyburn and the OFA were comparable.

Edited by Ptolomy

Yes i sent Lexi's there. I had hers scored by the AVA and then I sent them to Dr Wyburn in WA and then to the OFA. Interesting that the AVA scored the hips the highest - Dr Wyburn and the OFA were comparable.

If you aren't comfortable talking about it publicly can you PM me but was sending them to OFA really expensive/slow?

I like the idea of OFA being a central record where puppy buyers and people researching pedigrees can look up my dogs if they wanted to and find all thier health tests/hip scores in one place publicly available. It was really good for me because Lincoln's from US imports so I was able to verify the health results in his pedigree going back several generations.

If you aren't comfortable talking about it publicly can you PM me but was sending them to OFA really expensive/slow?

I like the idea of OFA being a central record where puppy buyers and people researching pedigrees can look up my dogs if they wanted to and find all thier health tests/hip scores in one place publicly available. It was really good for me because Lincoln's from US imports so I was able to verify the health results in his pedigree going back several generations.

From memory it took 3 weeks from sending the X-rays to the US before the results were posted on the website - this was much quicker than posting the x-rays over east and waiting for the AVA scores to come back. Was it expensive - no it wasn't - postage was expensive - having to send a big x-ray package - but having the x-rays read wasn't. Would I do it again - definitely!