Exercise With A Small Yard

Verdant Amphibian

I have been mostly lurking on here for months, eagerly anticipating the time when OH's casual work would turn to full time and I could get a dog. We're pretty set on which breeds we like and have decided we'd ideally like to get an adult which would make the problem void but it's made me curious as to how others have coped. So...

If you have a small yard, and a large breed puppy (particularly gundogs), how to you exercise them sufficiently without structured on-lead exercise?

I have two working line GSD's.

We do lure coursing, swimming, agility, obedience, walking about an hour morning and night, off-leash time at park, bushwalking and play time in the back yard.

We have a 5yo large mixed breed and a 4 month old Australian Shepherd pup.

At the moment, OH is taking our 5yo for a walk in the morning for about 30 minutes (this is all he needs). I spend this 30 minutes in the backyard with the puppy, usually about 4 x 5 minute blocks of training with play in between (some fetch, tug, toys, running). This seems to be enough to calm her down while we're gone during the day.

I take her for quick on leash walks around the block some afternoons, or out to meet our friend's dogs, or for a run around the dog park.

I won't lie, it would be much easier to slap a leash on her and just take her with our older dog, but at least her training is coming along in leaps and bounds :(

Dogs don't self exercise so your yard size is irrelevant. If you research the breed before you get it you'll find out how much exercise is generally required.

There is nothing wrong with structured on lead activity, it's a great time to work with the dog.

If you're looking ay a Gun dog breed then be prepared to do 2 walks a day and mental stimulation as well but a Breeder of your choosen Gun Dog would best assist you as some breeds shouldn't recieve forced exercise as pups.

Edited by sas

depends what gundog breeds your interested in,most are actually more sedate under 12 months & its the 12 months & over that people fall short of giving them the right amount of mental stimulation.

I have large breed gundogs & fined all mine under 12 months are easy to deal with & whilst we live on an acre they dont use alot of it.

We lived in the burbs & also found the same but after 12 months was when they needed to be mentally challeneged & given the time to have fun so it really comes down to the chosen breeds & how keen you are to do the full routine for the next 10 yrs

I've got a 9 month old golden retriever in a small backyard, and I very rarely take her for 'walks' because of her age (and if we do, it's a very slow meandering sniff around the block on the grass not the pavement and only in the last month or so). We go to the beach once a week, go down to the local oval (leash free area but never any other dogs around) and she runs around and plays on-leash (12m tracking lead) and we do some training - recall, heeling, other things. She goes to obedience classes twice a week normally - one is pretty structured and boring, the other is more social.

She's also left at home by herself for probably 4 full days a week 7am-7pm and half days most other days. She copes fine. She can be pretty hyperactive but it's only in short bursts. She sleeps most of the day whether we're home or not.

She doesn't get taken out for exercise every day at all, maybe 3 times a week lately, if that. But we spend at least 2 hours playing with her each day, probably more. She also comes with me when I go out (where possible)

She certainly doesn't exercise herself - she needs someone to bounce off when playing and a backyard, no matter how large loses it's excitement for new smells pretty quickly, so while 'outside walks' are exciting, being at home isn't so much.

Thanks for the advice. I'm mostly looking at Weimaraners. I know they take lots of exercise and are slow to mature, my father is a hunter so when I lived at home we pretty much always had a gundog. But this issue has never come up because my parents have a big yard and have never had a only dog, so their puppy's have always had an older dog to play in the yard with which did much to contribute to keeping them fit and healthy.

Having thought on the responces I think I could manage to keep a pup happy. There is a large park further up my street that I we could play in using one of the tracking leads (once immunisations were all finished of course). I'd still prefer an adult, I'd love a dog to take on all of my walks, but it's nice to know that if I can't find a suitable adult I might be able to look into getting a pup.

Dogs don't self exercise so your yard size is irrelevant. If you research the breed before you get it you'll find out how much exercise is generally required.

There is nothing wrong with structured on lead activity, it's a great time to work with the dog.

If you're looking ay a Gun dog breed then be prepared to do 2 walks a day and mental stimulation as well but a Breeder of your choosen Gun Dog would best assist you as some breeds shouldn't recieve forced exercise as pups.

Dogs don't self exercise ???? You've got to be kidding me ! My pointers self exercise all day long ( they are on one acre) everyday in addition to the exercise I give them. I don't think you can make such black and white statements about dogs, depends on the breed and the individual dog. I have also lived on a very small house block with one pointer and he managed quite well with hunting about the garden all day and 2 one hour walks each day with a trip twice a week to a big park for off leash flat out running. It was a lot more work with the small block but certainly do-able. Just depends what sort of commitment you are prepared to make to the dog. Good luck with whatever dog you end up with.

If you are looking at a Weim, you would need to be committed to alot of exercise and mental stimulation in the early stages where physical exercise is limited.

Make sure you do plenty of research with regards to the breeder you get a pup from as Weims can be prone to anxiety- if you're aware of this you can tailor your training to suit but it helps to start out with a pup from bold parents with good nerves.

I would think that a large breed dog between 6-9months could easily cope with a 10min daily walk? Whilst its true you don't want to damage joints, you do need to strengthen muscles etc. Its also good to get them out around their neighborhood, smelling different smells, hearing different sounds etc. Over 9-10months you could, IMO, be doing atleast 15mins walks and longer still over 12months.

I was taking Orbit out on leashed walks from 4months old! We started out just going a couple of houses down and back, but we incorporated sits and other things whilst we were out. As he got older, we just slowly went further, until he hit 12months or so when I could take him out for 20min walks. The walks I talk of aren't 'proper' walks like we do now, just literally quietly walking down the street and back.

darling dog - I think the meaning was more that a single dog doesn't 'self-exercise' although if you have more than one dog and they enjoy playing together, then yes, they would.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Still would depend on the breed and individual dog though IMO, as 2 of mine even on their own, run about all day, the third one is more inclined not to unless he has a play mate.

Mental exercise is the most tiring of all so if short periods (gradually building up as your dog gets older) of training - just minutes a few times a day, puzzle toys and changes in their environment like things (even their food) hidden for them to find and then getting out for walks and even just sitting and taking in the world should all help. You can also teach them tricks and games like fetch and tug with rules and put them into your routine. You can put scent trails around the yard. You can use stuff around the house and yard for puppy agility and mazes. The only end to how you can exercise their mind is your creativity (with a touch of common sense).

Don't worry - if you challenge his (or her) brain and give them enough exercise to stay healthy they'll thrive.

But beware - really stimulate a puppy and get them out and about and learning new things then expect trouble if you suddenly stop because they've gotten older and you think they can cope without you, or your work takes over or whatever. Once they get hooked on learning and getting out into the world they don't appreciate it all stopping - and tell you so in ways you might not appreciate.

So figure out a balance that will help your pup through its puppyhood, prepare it for adolescence and be sustainable through life. Not saying you have to keep doing all the same things - infact just the opposite - mix it up. But don't set your pup up for frustration by giving it the world because it's cute and easy to handle and you love spending time with it and then expect it to accept 'just being a dog' if you get what I mean.

Oh and we expect cute photos and updates along the way :rofl:

Edited by Addicted to Dogs