Toy Recommendations For Toy Poodle?

lillim

So I normally buy toys for a large boisterous, destruction extraordinaire dog. I have been charged with recommending and buying toys for a young active toy poodle, and have no clue where to start and what type of toys would be suitable or enjoyable? Other than they should be smaller sized...

Help?

Poodles are very smart so you need to keep their mind active. Thats why I've found toys like kongs, buster cubs, kibble nibbles etc where they have to use their mind to figure out how to get the food. I would start here and see how you go.

Poodles are very smart so you need to keep their mind active. Thats why I've found toys like kongs, buster cubs, kibble nibbles etc where they have to use their mind to figure out how to get the food. I would start here and see how you go.

thanks

Ninna Ottoson puzzled from wagsalot.com.au - they are for playing with under supervision though.

Some of the Kyjen toys on teh site are great too - especially Hide-a-Squirrel

is the hide-a-squirrel toy very tough though? I've always thought they look a bit to easy to destroy.

My small miniature poodles favourite toy is small latex squeaky toy and a ball which she is able to squish and squeak - she plays with the ball by herself (not sure what it is made from but quite sturdy as my standard poodle has not been able to destroy it - his favorite past-time)

I just got my dogs a Canine Genius mini Leo from Waggle. They love it, and the smartest / most determined one will keep playing with it for up to 4 hours while trying to get a piece of liver treat out of it.

My miniature boy's favourite toy is a "chimp ball" - a ball (latex I think) in the shape of a chimp from Safeway/Woolworths. You can get them in the shape of a sheep or a hippo as well. Even when he went through a destructive phase when he was younger and destroyed some other toys this one survived. I think it has lasted as it doesn't really have anything sticking out he can chew on and although he can carry it in his mouth it seems a bit too large for him to really chew on it. It also squeaks when he squishes it which he loves. He likes to hold it and squeak it at you or he puts his foot on it and dribbles it like a pro soccer player!

Even though he has lots (and lots and lots!) of toys, this is his favourite. He happily plays with it by himself when we are busy.

The other thing I would recommend would be a toy with rope on it - he loves something to chew and also it makes a good handle to fling the toy through the air with! Its a bit alarming watching a tennis ball on a rope sail past you at bench height! These rope toys are usually not expensive, not really toxic and survive some chewing. Once they are well chewed they can be replaced.

I did get him a couple of Toughie toys but he doesn't really like them at all. One toy he does like is the Cuz ball - this seems to be quite tough although it has legs that stick out and I am not sure how good it would be with a really destructive dog. It is also smaller and he can fit it in his mouth. Because of the feet it has a weird bounce so it keeps his interest when you throw it.

Ninna Ottoson puzzled from wagsalot.com.au - they are for playing with under supervision though.

Some of the Kyjen toys on teh site are great too - especially Hide-a-Squirrel

is the hide-a-squirrel toy very tough though? I've always thought they look a bit to easy to destroy.

It seems to be pretty strong. Echo has taken to trying to chew it in half between the two holes and it is still kicking.

Both mine were playing tug of war with the Squirrels last night with one having hold of the head and the other the tail and it did not break and Echo is not tiny any more so there was a lot of force in the game.

The other thing I would recommend would be a toy with rope on it - he loves something to chew and also it makes a good handle to fling the toy through the air with! Its a bit alarming watching a tennis ball on a rope sail past you at bench height! These rope toys are usually not expensive, not really toxic and survive some chewing. Once they are well chewed they can be replaced.

Mine love toys on a rope but I stay away from tennis balls as the popular opinion is that they wear teeth too quickly.

Maddy in particular will throw, chase and hide (she pushes it under her cushions then digs it out!) hers for ages.

That is when I'm not throwing it.