He's Gotten Fat Again Help!

Miley doesn't eat everyday, but I offer her food.. I bet he has been eating her share.

That's going to be difficult.. she won't eat unless he is out there because she likes the guarding her food game. She has gone days without food when I have tried to separate them..

any ideas?

Why are you not supervising all food times? I bet you have your answer there. He is eating two meals as well as getting food from other members of your household. If other people in your house must feed your dogs make it clear to them that it can only be fruit and vegtables. Cut up some carrot etc that they can reach for as a treat instead of high calorie junk treats.

If you, for some reason, can not supervise your dogs when they are eating. Get some puppy pens. Put one dog in one pen with it's food and another dog in the other pen with its food.

My guess is that Ollie should weigh less then 9kg. So if he is sitting on over 11kg he is obese!

When I first adopted Cordelia (Lab) she weighed in at about 48kg... She lost 28kg in 3mths.. if she didn't lose weight, she was going to die... simple.

:laugh:

Fantastic work.

Low calorie diets will not kill them. If they stay obese it will.

Sadly it seems that 90% of the pugs that have come into rescue in the last 6 months are obese. There previous owners say that they have had them on a diet but could only get a bit of weight off or they don't even recognise thier pugs are fatter then pigs. On average an obese pug spends at least 2 months with us getting their excess weight off.

Also sadly so many pugs owned by people are obese. We had a stall at a local pet expo a few weekends back. There would have been 20 or so pugs come buy with their owners and 90% to 95% of them were obese.

Pugs are only little dogs. They don't need alot of food!

Edited by puggy_puggy

I have crates I can feed them in.

They eat outside and the kids don't feed them.. only me.

The reason I feed them outside is because they stuff around when I am watching and don't eat. I give them 20 minutes outside to eat and then go out and take their bowls.

Miley won't allow Ollie near her food unless she doesn't want it.. but I wonder if she doesn't want it often.. like every second day.

I will see if they eat in their crates.

I have crates I can feed them in.

They eat outside and the kids don't feed them.. only me.

The reason I feed them outside is because they stuff around when I am watching and don't eat. I give them 20 minutes outside to eat and then go out and take their bowls.

Miley won't allow Ollie near her food unless she doesn't want it.. but I wonder if she doesn't want it often.. like every second day.

I will see if they eat in their crates.

Yep feed them in their crates. If they don't eat they will be hungry and then they will eat next time or the time after.....

Put them in their crates, give them their food and after a set amount of time if they haven't eat it remove it. Rinse and repeat daily!

If you are mean like me, they get 20 minutes to eat their food then it is gone. All my dogs eat when it is given, do not get given the choice of grazing or picking.

You MUST ALWAYS fully umpire their eating, or the piggy pants will steal food every time. I know exactly what goes into my dogs tummies because they are fed seperately with no chance of stealing. The other things is if you do not know exactly who is eating what you may have an unwell dog that is it off it's food and not know until they are very underweight.

Why are you not supervising all food times? I bet you have your answer there. He is eating two meals as well as getting food from other members of your household. If other people in your house must feed your dogs make it clear to them that it can only be fruit and vegtables. Cut up some carrot etc that they can reach for as a treat instead of high calorie junk treats.

If you, for some reason, can not supervise your dogs when they are eating. Get some puppy pens. Put one dog in one pen with it's food and another dog in the other pen with its food.

:laugh:

Also - walk Ollie every day- but maybe only ten minutes . Do this twice a day. It is far better for him to be comfortably active for ten minutes twice a day, than to be wheezing and in trouble walking a half hour once a day :)