Cost Of Showing

Hi,

I am wanting to purchase a GSD for showing.

I have many years experience showing horses but none with dogs. I have a registered GSD who I regularly attend obedience with, but she is not show ring quality and purely an obedience dog.

Could someone please advise the costs of purchasing a show quality puppy and the equipment needed.

Also is there any place we can go to learn how to present and show the puppy prior to purchasing.

Thanks in advance.

Prices can vary so it comes down to what your willing pay & which breeder you like.

Cost of showing again depends on where you live,how keen you wish to be.whether you want to show All Breeds or only speciality.

Enty fees vary but between $9 $20 odd(speciality)

catalogues $3/4 (varies on states again)

Basic gear can be as cheap or as expensive as wish,very hard to say what you will spend.

Handling classes again will depend on all breed or speciality.GSD club offers speciality classes & in most states there are handling classes or private lessons available

Thanks for your reply.

I wasnt worried about the cost of entry classes (perhaps should have been more specific). LOL

We are more after the costs of a quality puppy and all the gear required for showing.

I know there are many variables but just after an idea of what a puppy of show quality costs to purchase, so that when we contact people about puppies we know we are paying what is expected of a puppy of show qaulity.

And I suppose what gear/equipment do you really need to show a dog.

Hi,

I am wanting to purchase a GSD for showing.

I have many years experience showing horses but none with dogs. I have a registered GSD who I regularly attend obedience with, but she is not show ring quality and purely an obedience dog.

Could someone please advise the costs of purchasing a show quality puppy and the equipment needed.

Also is there any place we can go to learn how to present and show the puppy prior to purchasing.

Thanks in advance.

This thread a while ago has some prices of dogs not sure if a GSD breeder is in there, I would contact breed specific clubs and go from there, work out what you are after and you have the breed experts all on hand. Try some chat lists for the breed as well they are very informative with info on the breed and lines etc!

Good luck

:laugh:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;hl=cost++dogs

A show dog would be a lot cheaper than a show horse I would imagine :laugh:

You won't find a show quality dog for under $1000 some breeders charge a lot more depending on what lines have been used or the general demand for a dog from that kennel.

Cost of setting up for a GSD wouldn't bee to much I would imagine... Just brushes combs, conditioners and other grooming products, maybe say $200 for the grooming products you need to start with.

thanks for all that.

Definately seem cheaper then show horses.

We did pay $800 for our current GSD (not show quality but a registered dog), so I was expecting to pay more, but wasnt sure what sort of dollars.

So I'd probably be willing to spend up to $1500 ...

Will look at the link posted ... thanks so much :laugh:

A show dog would be a lot cheaper than a show horse I would imagine :laugh:

You won't find a show quality dog for under $1000 some breeders charge a lot more depending on what lines have been used or the general demand for a dog from that kennel.

Definately cheaper than a show horse, But just to show how different breeders can be, my show quality Australian Shepherd bitch was less than $1000. Depends on the kennels.

I'd expect to pay $1200 to $2000 for a show potential GSD puppy depending on where you are and which breeder your get a pup from.

Specialty show entries can be quite dear - entries for the upcoming National were $42 and often $30-$40 if a German judge is involved.

Hi Orchard,

As previously stated expect to pay between $1000.00 to $1500.00 for a quality pup, if you go to Dogzonline puppy listings, scroll down to German Shepherds you will find listings from breeders with puppies for sale (Approx 60) the Sires and Dams are also listed, these you can check further by taking their names and going to the GSD database for a full history of your puppies bloodlines.

Also as previously stated the cost of entries varies - Allbreeds $8 to $10, Catalogue $3 - $4. Specialty usually between $30 - $40 catalogue included.

As for equiptment, a good quality 1.5 metre leather lead ,around $50.00, a good specialty type collar $50 - $70, choker chains from $15 - $25, brushes and combs overall $100 - $150 depending on quality, and that's about it.

There is a GSD site you may be interested in its called GSD World and or google up GSD Clubs which will bring up the state club and other clubs around Australia.

Good hunting and or if I can help any further please feel free to PM me any time.

Reg

I'll get my head bitten off by some one - but what the hey...

When you purchase a "show" pup from a respectable breeder , you should be purchasing a pup whose markings and colorings meet breed standard. Form changes as the pup grows - not much is guaranteed past markings at pup. Sometimes very experienced breeders can see potential at 7 to 8 weeks but show potential includes attitude. Shy pups don't do well - they draw back from judges, aggression is shunned... I've seen animals withdraw from smoking judges, hat wearers, "flouncy" blouses, loud noises. I've even seen animals withdraw from "apprehensive" judges. You need a "bomb" proof show dog these days. Perhaps that's not so silly...most households need "bomb proof dogs" - for a dogs sake!

Exactly AmandaJ, there is no 100% guarantee with a show dog unless you buy an adult.

Breeders usually have a good idea about how a puppy will turn out, especially ones who have been in the breed a very long time and know how a particular line grows, but sometimes things can grow a little differently or just not turn out like they expected.

Oh and depending on the breed coat color and marking can also change :) My pup is already changing color at 5 months.

Shaar - I agree on the change of coat TOTALLY :) - I was once told that the white gets wider...yeah right...in most cases on our breed the head blaze recedes with age .. on other parts the length of coat covers any minor "non conformance" :) ...each breed to it's own..and it depends on the "plucking"....as some do.. :)

There is nothing better than a breeder who can answer the hard questions about the litter they have.

I am a newb to showing but I have seen an exhibitor colouring in thier dog with an artliner pen! :)

:laugh: hmmmmmmm

AmandaJ - Mine seems to be the opposite to yours, mine had a jet black mane and now it has started breaking through with white/silver! Not complaining, should look lovely when it's done changing ;)