Showing My New Chow?

spirrall

Hi,

I've had a look at the Show ring at the Easter Show and I think I would really enjoy showing my dog. I just got a new chow and confirmed that it was ok to show her. I've also attached a pic my breeder sent to me. Let me know what you guys think.

I've read the dogsnsw site on showing but can anyone give me a bit more personal advice with their experience. What should I do for starters?

It's a shame that my Samoyed boy is neutered and I don't have a certificate and my Samoyed girl I think is too old (she's 1 years old). But at least i can start new and fresh.

Also why do the judge need to open their mouths? and are the dogs on a proper leash? It seems they are on this really thin rope.

post-33941-1270803778_thumb.jpg

Cute Chow :)

The first thing you will need to do it become a member of Dogs NSW and get the pup on full papers. I assume that your breeder has told you that however.

The best thing you could do to get a feel for showing is take your Chow to show training classes, that way you and he will know what you are doing and believe me there is a lot more to showing them just running around a ring (I found that out the hard way :laugh: )

if you let us know what area you are in someone might be able to suggest a class near you.

If there arnt any classes near by are you close enough to your breeder that you and the pup could go around and maybe get a few tips.

Of and with your Samoyed girl I believe you can still get her changed to full registration if she still entire and is under two (you might want to double check that one but I think i am right, someone else might be able to give you a better idea) and the breeder agrees to sign the correct forms in order to get it done.

As for looking in the mouths the judge does this to make sure the dog has a correct bite.

Edited by Wolfsong

The first thing you will need to do it become a member of Dogs NSW and get the pup on full papers. I assume that your breeder has told you that however.

The best thing you could do to get a feel for showing is take your Chow to show training classes, that way you and he will know what you are doing and believe me there is a lot more to showing them just running around a ring (I found that out the hard way :laugh: )

if you let us know what area you are in someone might be able to suggest a class near you.

If there arnt any classes near by are you close enough to your breeder that you and the pup could go around and maybe get a few tips.

Of and with your Samoyed girl I believe you can still get her changed to full registration if she still entire and is under two (you might want to double check that one but I think i am right, someone else might be able to give you a better idea) and the breeder agrees to sign the correct forms in order to get it done.

As for looking in the mouths the judge does this to make sure the dog has a correct bite.

Thanks very much! I live in Epping, if anyone wants to suggest a show training place. Is Brush one in Eastwood a training class? I might ask and see if I can get my little sammy into it. Unfortunately, for my sammy, I got her in Perth. My chow is from NZ. I hope I can make some show friends....

Edited by spirrall

Thanks very much! I live in Epping, if anyone wants to suggest a show training place. Is Brush one in Eastwood a training class? I might ask and see if I can get my little sammy into it. Unfortunately, for my sammy, I got her in Perth. My chow is from NZ. I hope I can make some show friends....

You should come and join us in the spitz thread, many of us are showies and there are quite a few in Sydney who I am sure would be more then happy to have you come and say hi.

Everyone there is very nice and extremely helpful

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=137956

Brush Farm training at Eastwood is obedience training rather than show training.

There is show training at Castle Hill Showground at 7.30pm on Tuesday nights.

Brush Farm training at Eastwood is obedience training rather than show training.

There is show training at Castle Hill Showground at 7.30pm on Tuesday nights.

And also Wednesday nights (different people running the Wednesday night one).