Heartworm

AS the title says, I am a bit confused about Heartworm. Vets seem to be telling me different things.

What are you doing with your dog, if it makes a difference we have a goldie, and what age do they start treatment against heartworm.

Thanks heaps

Snowball

AS the title says, I am a bit confused about Heartworm. Vets seem to be telling me different things.

What are you doing with your dog, if it makes a difference we have a goldie, and what age do they start treatment against heartworm.

Thanks heaps

Snowball

Ideally before 4 months of age but certainly by 6 months if you are in a Heartworm risk area.

There are quite a few options for Heartworm prevention, daily tabs, monthly tabs, monthly spot on, and yearly injection (not something I would use)

As Crisover said, lots of different options. Should be started by 16ish weeks. Options include;

Sentinel - monthly chew that covers adult fleas, intestinal worms and heartworm

Interceptor - monthly chew that covers intestinal worms and heartworm

Monthly Spot ons (Revolution (i think) advocate)

SR12/proheart injection, once a year, alot of people have differing views on the use of it

Daily tablets (not sure of brand names)

You just need to work out what will suit you the best and go for that :)

Also, I think if your dog hasn't been treated in the last 6 months (depending if a young puppy or not of course) then they should be tested for heartworm before starting treatment (we did this with our girl a couple of years ago). It's a simple test your vet can do. :)

I've been told 4 mo by vets I respect. Also been told that the monthly treatments can be given bi-monthly. You'll find lots of chatter saying that the annual vaccination may be dangerous. But it's also expensive. Daily is cheap, but a pain. Personally, I go with monthly, skip winter when we have no mozzies, and don't worry if it ends up every two months rather than every month. My mob think Heart Guard is a treat, so there's no problem administering it.

Heart worm is a horrid parasite, but its lifecycle is pretty easy to disrupt. If I understand correctly, for it to go to the heart, your dog has to be infected by both a male and a female worm, they have to mate, and their larvae need to migrate to the organs. Available toxins seem to be effective in keeping this from happening.

Edited by sandgrubber

Thanks.

I had better get a move on.... our goldie is nearly 7 months, for some reason I thought I rememered the vet saying 12months :laugh: , lucky I asked....

thanks ;)

Snowball

Just make sure you get your dog checked for heartworm before you start treatment, because we have just had the mozzie season. Starting the preventative treatment if a dog has heartworm is very dangerous for the dog. And I think 7 month might be a little late at the end of the Summer season. Just check with your vet.

Hi Snowball,

I have Simba on Sentinel as it cover's pretty much everything. Except it only kills adult fleas, so you may need to use something else

for that ONLY if your dog has a major problem with them.

Simba is pretty much fine, he doesn't really have fleas :laugh:

I started Simba on Heartworm prevention at 6mths of age. I got him a blood test first so I was sure he didn't already have heartworm as stated

on here your vet will do it if he is over 12mths of age I think?

Could be 6mths, not sure?

Cheers,

XXtoughgirlXxxx

I work with one vet who loves sentinel and one vet who hates it. Apparently, the negative is that monthly treatment for worms may contribute to the evolution of intestinal parasites with resistence to vermicides. I have found cheaper ways to deal with various parasites . . . but I have several dogs, so costs mount up. Convenience makes Sentinel a good deal.

Hi Snowball,

I have Simba on Sentinel as it cover's pretty much everything. Except it only kills adult fleas, so you may need to use something else

for that ONLY if your dog has a major problem with them.

Simba is pretty much fine, he doesn't really have fleas :laugh:

I started Simba on Heartworm prevention at 6mths of age. I got him a blood test first so I was sure he didn't already have heartworm as stated

on here your vet will do it if he is over 12mths of age I think?

Could be 6mths, not sure?

Cheers,

XXtoughgirlXxxx

Edited by sandgrubber