Family Dog - Move To Us - What Will Happen?

Snowball

I shipped my dog to and from Dubai. We spent 18 months over there. I would do it again. You have to be on top of all the requirements but its not that difficult and she only had to spend a month in quarantine when she came back in to Australia because we kept up her rabies vaccinations whilst away and did titre testing etc.

Your dog will cope with quarantine fine. Even my friend's stress head Weimaraner managed with a month in quarantine. He didn't like it much but he came out none the worse for it. I hated the thought of my dog being locked up for that long and she was over the moon to see us again at the end of it but a month is really not that long.

So all in all I would recommend taking her with you. Its so much nicer to have your dog with you and is an adventure for them too!

My cat and I moved to the US about 6 months ago. She went with Jetpets, total cost from Melbourne to Atlanta was just on $2000. It was really very easy. My advice would be to call as many companies as you can for quotes - I found prices varied quite a bit. It also seemed that as with human airline tickets, cost for pets goes up with the number of connecting flights, so it will be cheaper if you can pick your dog up from a major airport.

My kitty has never liked being in the crate, but handled the trip really well. She was tired, and a bit smelly, but otherwise fine when I picked her up.

The US is very pet friendly, especially if you are renting. I'm sure it varies by location, but I found about 80% of rental properties in my area to be pet friendly, which is WAY more than I would ever find in Melbourne.

Good luck!

To go to the US you need a health check by an aqis accredited vet within 3 days prior to departure.

For those going to the US for only a few years I recommend getting your rabies vaccinations done here along with the RNATT 21 days after it. Then whilst overseas maintain yearly rabies boosters to keep the titre valid. By doing this your dog will only have to spend 30 days in quarantine on return to Australia.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Interesting thread :laugh:

I would really love to live and work in Canada for a year or 18 months, but always put it in the too hard basket because of my Labbies. If I go, they certainly come! If they can't go, then I don't go.

Do the same rules apply for Canada as they do the US?

So basically if I get the dogs a rabies shot either before leaving the country or when I get there (do they then need quarantine if first rabies shot is done over there?), and then yearly rabies shots while overseas should enable us to return to Oz with only 30 days quarantine?

Still overwhelms me with all the paperwork I think you need to do, so I'll probably never do it. That and I would really prefer to do the the extended working holiday with someone else, I'm a bit too scared to do it on my own :laugh: Anyone care to join me? :rofl:

ETA: it's got me thinking again, but this time I'm looking up dog training clubs and CKC regulations and trialling my dogs there :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar

Interesting thread :laugh:

I would really love to live and work in Canada for a year or 18 months, but always put it in the too hard basket because of my Labbies. If I go, they certainly come! If they can't go, then I don't go.

Do the same rules apply for Canada as they do the US?

So basically if I get the dogs a rabies shot either before leaving the country or when I get there (do they then need quarantine if first rabies shot is done over there?), and then yearly rabies shots while overseas should enable us to return to Oz with only 30 days quarantine?

Still overwhelms me with all the paperwork I think you need to do, so I'll probably never do it. That and I would really prefer to do the the extended working holiday with someone else, I'm a bit too scared to do it on my own :laugh: Anyone care to join me? :rofl:

ETA: it's got me thinking again, but this time I'm looking up dog training clubs and CKC regulations and trialling my dogs there :rofl:

Yes the same conditions as the US. I know your dogs are older than 8 months so they don't require a C4 (if under 8 months that is also part of the requirements).

You will need to get a rabies vaccination, wait at least 21 days and then have the RNATT (titre test) and then wait at least 5 months before re-entry into Australia. Then they will only be required to do 30 days quarantine.

I brought my 2 cats over from South AFrica last year, because of rabies they stayed in quarantine a totalof 210 days of which 30 days must be done in Australia, cost me to fly them both over here around $2000, total quarantine costs were around $7000. It worked out to 7 months. I know when my cats were in Byford there were some American people who had brought dogs over and their animals spent 3 months in Quarantine here in Perth.

Tears for the separation time and ouch for the dollars. Pets can cost a bundle . . but if you love 'em it's worth a bundle.

I'm very glad in this respect to be leaving Oz rather than coming back in. I wouldn't be willing to put my friends through quarantine . . . much less pick up the tab for doing so.

I brought my 2 cats over from South AFrica last year, because of rabies they stayed in quarantine a totalof 210 days of which 30 days must be done in Australia, cost me to fly them both over here around $2000, total quarantine costs were around $7000. It worked out to 7 months. I know when my cats were in Byford there were some American people who had brought dogs over and their animals spent 3 months in Quarantine here in Perth.