Liver Probs And Low Protein Diets

becks

After 2 months of vet visits, blood tests, urine tests etc etc the conclusion seems to be my 6 year old has a possible liver tumour. Vets have suggested a low protein diet and have ordered in a sample for her to try.

has anyone any experience of a dog needing a low protein diet? Aside from vegies what other things could she eat?

i would be interested to know of what she could have for main meals.

After 2 months of vet visits, blood tests, urine tests etc etc the conclusion seems to be my 6 year old has a possible liver tumour. Vets have suggested a low protein diet and have ordered in a sample for her to try.

has anyone any experience of a dog needing a low protein diet? Aside from vegies what other things could she eat?

i would be interested to know of what she could have for main meals.

[/quote

Because I was scared I'd get it wrong and give her too much fat/protein I mostly fed kibble that the vet recommended

For variety I still gave her very small amounts of chicken and beef mince that was boiled and then drained and squeezed on lots of paper towels, you get a lot of fat out doing that.

It was easy for me because Callie would eat anything and didnt seem to mind the kibbles. It was me that felt bad because

I thought it was too boring :D

If the issue is keeping protein (rather than fat) down, it may be worth having a look at the kinds of diets that Schnauzer folk feed those of your breed that are susceptible to bladder stones.

I think from memory that protein is the issue there too.

Hills U/D is low protein.

Edited by poodlefan

My dally's a stone-former and is on a low protein diet to keep his purine levels low. He gets a range of foods including cottage/ricotta cheese, eggs (soft boiled), yoghurt or kefir, brown rice, quinoa, whole raw oats, veggies, fruit and some chicken plus chicken frames/necks. He is also getting some hemp granules, flax oil, fish oil and a mixed "immunity" supplement from VANs that doesnt contain yeast. For treats he's getting natural dried fish (not very often and only a tiny bit), bananas, cheddar and other cheeses and ryvita.

To help alkilise his system he also gets ACV in his food and lots of water mixed in.

ETA I also cook the rice with miso as a stock and I should add that occassionally he gets Cheerios as a treat LOL He loves em :thumbsup:

Edited by spottychick

My dally's a stone-former and is on a low protein diet to keep his purine levels low. He gets a range of foods including cottage/ricotta cheese, eggs (soft boiled), yoghurt or kefir, brown rice, quinoa, whole raw oats, veggies, fruit and some chicken plus chicken frames/necks. He is also getting some hemp granules, flax oil, fish oil and a mixed "immunity" supplement from VANs that doesnt contain yeast. For treats he's getting natural dried fish (not very often and only a tiny bit), bananas, cheddar and other cheeses and ryvita.

To help alkilise his system he also gets ACV in his food and lots of water mixed in.

ETA I also cook the rice with miso as a stock and I should add that occassionally he gets Cheerios as a treat LOL He loves em :thumbsup:

When Benson, mini schnauzer was diagnosed with a porto systemic shunt at 6 months old, (he is now 12.5yrs) he was fed a very similar diet to your dally. The need for low protein in this situation is essential, but the protein should be a good quality protein. I had the choice of feeding a commercially produced low protein diet or a natural low protein one. I chose the latter.

With mini and bladder stones, it is the pH level of the urine that needs to be controlled.

The problem is with a Giant Schnauzer, she is constantly thirsty and can drink a full bowl without coming up for air and will go back for more as soon as the bowl is refilled. The urine, while very water like in colour is not what they class as dilute - it still has the same of whatever values they compare to blood (I'm getting this info 2nd hand as she now lives with my dad)

Until I see the package of the food sample, I don't know what sort of protein % we are looking at, but will hopefully have more info on that soon. However, as we know vet prescription diets are very pricey, especially for a large breed dog

SAS what level protein are Dane pups fed?

OK, hope I don't get flamed for this... but when my 15 yr old mini poodle needed to go on a low protein (and low fat) diet, I was told to stop giving her the "good, healthy" foods, and move to the cheap canned stuff - which when you look at it is only 5-6% crude protein. I felt pretty bad about it, so also got her the Hills special kibble, but she hated the kibble and was quite happy to eat the canned stuff. She was stable on this stuff for about a year, until one day she got into one of the other dog's food (unnoticed by me), which triggered a massive seizure that night.

When Benson, mini schnauzer was diagnosed with a porto systemic shunt at 6 months old, (he is now 12.5yrs) he was fed a very similar diet to your dally. The need for low protein in this situation is essential, but the protein should be a good quality protein. I had the choice of feeding a commercially produced low protein diet or a natural low protein one. I chose the latter.

Cool. I am making mine up as I go along based on charts showing food purine levels and acid vs alkaline levels.

I should add I also give him some tinned food but only Nature's Gift chicken and rice or oats which is very good quality, natural and doesn't include organ meat or any additives etc. The price isn't too bad either compared to Hills etc