Another What Breed For Me...

Freshstart16

Hi, I have been researching breeds for about 6 months now and am stumped as to what dog breed would suit me. I have alot of favourites but when I do eventually get my own dog (the ones we have are my OH and my SIL) I want to pick the best possible breed for me and I want to be the best dog owner I can.

I would consider myself inexperienced, I have owned one dog on my own and that was quite a challenge (he was Kelpie X) and I was young and had no idea what I was getting myself into.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;hl=confession

Theres the link with my issues of last dog.

Anyhow, Im looking for preferably a medium to large dog,I had decided on a Boston Terrier but the wait is SOOOO long.

I have researched about Great Danes (I feel I should be more experienced to own one due to bloat etc, its very scary)

Bullmastiff(would love one but wondering if maybe I am not experienced enough with maybe dominance or asserting pack leadership)

Rottweiler (sp?) again they seem quite dominant for a novice and I am worried about the dog getting out of hand.

There is other large breeds I like as well and alot of medium ones, I just about love every single breed, but when I get my next dog I do want a big one :laugh:

I guess what I am trying to get at is what kind of large dog is good for a first time owner, I know I have had a dog before but this feels like the first proper go at it, I just want the perfect fit for me and of course the dog.

The qualities I would like is very human orientated (loves to be with you and likes snuggles and cuddles etc), laid back and not too energectic (im scared of a dog being go,go,go like my kelpie x) The dog would be walked every day for 20 mins or so, but wouldnt mind if I missed a day or two, I would make up for it by playing in the yard. I prefer short haired dogs, I feel as though they look better but I dont mind the shedding, I would bath once a week if I had to, dont mind brushing etc, I find it alot of fun :rofl:

I would like the dog to be inside when Im home and sleep inside at night. I am currently not working but will eventually work full time.

I feel as though im not writing this very well today so i apologise for the ramble, I hope It makes sense.

Here is a official list of dogs, I would like to own, one at a time though :laugh:

Alaskan Malamute

American Staffordshire Terrier (I worry about BSL though seeing as the supreme court in QLD thinks that this breed is same at a APBT) Who knows?

Beagle (i worry about there scent drive, is that what you call it? eg escaping)

Boston Terrier

Boxer

Bullmastiff

Dobermann

Great Dane

White GSD

Mastiff

Rhodesian Ridgeback

Rottweiler

Siberian Husky

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Ok so lots to choose from.....So i guess my question is which one would be suited to a novice???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want a dog who has a fairly reliable recall and can be let off lead or does this not worry you?

Would you shy away from a rough coated breed?

How secure is your yard?

Alot of the breeds on your list aren't what are generally seen as easy or good for first timers, but I personally can't comment on any of them as I don't own any you have listed.

I am amazed that you do not have a greyhound on your list... it sounds as though they would be the perfect breed for you :laugh:

I was going to say the same thing! Grey could definately work.

You could consider pointers, maybe meet a few! Very loving dogs big with out being huge and fun and entertaining without being too lazy or too energetic!

The qualities I would like is very human orientated (loves to be with you and likes snuggles and cuddles etc), laid back and not too energectic (im scared of a dog being go,go,go like my kelpie x) The dog would be walked every day for 20 mins or so, but wouldnt mind if I missed a day or two, I would make up for it by playing in the yard. I prefer short haired dogs, I feel as though they look better but I dont mind the shedding, I would bath once a week if I had to, dont mind brushing etc, I find it alot of fun :laugh:

Cross off Siberians and most of the Spitz breeds off your list (if you were considering any others). They are energetic, active dogs that require a dog savvy owner who is prepared to have a dog who can be aloof and not necessarily interested in being with you all the time and having lots of cuddles.

Beagles again can be quite active dogs, and both breeds must go to homes with good fencing as they can be escape artists. Both Sibes and Beags can be stubborn and strong willed and can require a fair bit of mental and physical exercise.

Neither my Beagle nor my Siberian escape out of my yard but that's only because I have excellent fencing and make sure I don't give them opportunities to escape like leaving gates open (they are all padlocked) or leaving the front door open.

Daisy - I have never thought of them, but I hear they arn't great with cats...I have 2

Lyndsay - wouldnt everyone love good recall hahaha kidding, the offlead thing doesnt bother me, If I was out of the yard they would be always be on the lead. only off lead at home.

Im open to rough coated breed :laugh:

Yard has secure and approx 1.7 m fences.

The qualities I would like is very human orientated (loves to be with you and likes snuggles and cuddles etc), laid back and not too energectic (im scared of a dog being go,go,go like my kelpie x) The dog would be walked every day for 20 mins or so, but wouldnt mind if I missed a day or two, I would make up for it by playing in the yard. I prefer short haired dogs, I feel as though they look better but I dont mind the shedding, I would bath once a week if I had to, dont mind brushing etc, I find it alot of fun

These qualities all say Golden Retriever to me...except for the short hair, but I think their coat would me much more manageable than say...a Husky? But then Im biast towards my favourite breed lol

Are you interested in doing obedience or any dog sports with the dog?

Daisy - I have never thought of them, but I hear they arn't great with cats...I have 2

as long as you go through a reputable greyhound adoption group they can find you one that is safe with cats :laugh: There is usually a waiting list for cat-safe greys though.

A greyhound through a good adoption program should be able to match you with a grey that is good with cats, others with more greyhound experience should be able to fill you in more.

Greys, Spitz breeds and Beagles don't have the best recall (generally of course).

Would you be interested in going through a rescue org? They may be able to match you up with a pup or adult that suits your criteria, but I understand the desire of going through a reg breeder.

Im not terribly experienced with any of the breeds on your list, but taking a second look none of them really say 'novice' to me, you have picked a lot of what I call the bully dogs, who can be quite pig headed and difficult to train, I mean there is always the exception, but given that you have already had a dog who was out of your depth I think you should go for a more laid back dog who is still very willing, that is why Im suggesting a Golden

The qualities I would like is very human orientated (loves to be with you and likes snuggles and cuddles etc), laid back and not too energectic (im scared of a dog being go,go,go like my kelpie x) The dog would be walked every day for 20 mins or so, but wouldnt mind if I missed a day or two, I would make up for it by playing in the yard. I prefer short haired dogs, I feel as though they look better but I dont mind the shedding, I would bath once a week if I had to, dont mind brushing etc, I find it alot of fun :laugh:

Cross off Siberians and most of the Spitz breeds off your list (if you were considering any others). They are energetic, active dogs that require a dog savvy owner who is prepared to have a dog who can be aloof and not necessarily interested in being with you all the time and having lots of cuddles.

Beagles again can be quite active dogs, and both breeds must go to homes with good fencing as they can be escape artists. Both Sibes and Beags can be stubborn and strong willed and can require a fair bit of mental and physical exercise.

Neither my Beagle nor my Siberian escape out of my yard but that's only because I have excellent fencing and make sure I don't give them opportunities to escape like leaving gates open (they are all padlocked) or leaving the front door open.

I agree with this! My siberian isn't an escape from your yard kind of dog but sibes are a special needs breed - they're not a border collie in a wolf's body like a lot of people think! Also, they shed a whole lot more than a lot of people expect. This is less than 2 minutes off Zero towards the end of his coat blow - not even in the middle of it which it about 10 times worse! You can't see the rest of it which is to the right of camera. :laugh:

4345980998_1fe3369c69.jpg

If you're not into high energy dogs, I would research very carefully before getting a dobe too. My girl Danika was a bundle of black and tan energy! She was a lovely dog but definitely not the kind you could only walk for 20 minutes a day and expect her to be fine around the house. She tore up the grass doing zoomies around our pool when we were away for a week - it was the perfect running track. Our neighbour didn't have the energy to take her for a run like my family did! That being said, siberians can be the same. Zero came and demanded a walk today - he's a very low energy sibe but last night we had a big game of chase/zoomies after he'd done an hour of obedience and tonight he went and got his leash and stood at the door barking. Not low energy when it comes to winter, right when you want to stay indoors too!

Edited by ~*Shell*~

as long as you go through a reputable greyhound adoption group they can find you one that is safe with cats :laugh: There is usually a waiting list for cat-safe greys though.

I should have quoted this before but I have met several (absolutely gorgeous) very cat-friendly greys. They're massive counch potatoes too and definitely don't have to be walked every day (at least the ones I know).

Actually, there are many spitz breeds that have been working closely with people for thousands of years and make very good companion dogs. I have two spitzy herders - a medium one and a small one - and neither are particularly independent, difficult to train, or aloof. The Lapphund doesn't need much exercise at all as he's a lazy sod, and the Vallhund gets by on one 20 minute walk/run a day and lots of free play with the Lappie. Mental stimulation is more important than exercise for him. He can cope with just a short walk as long as I'm prepared to give him lots of things to do later. He can miss a day without going mad. He's also outrageously cuddly. It's thoroughly ridiculous how snuggly that dog is. I've never seen anything like it. My first dog was a corgi, which is also a spitz breed, and she was not too much dog for a kid to raise and train.

Anyway, you haven't really picked many breeds I think of when I think "easy". :laugh: Aren't they all a bit more active than a 20 minute walk a day and some play in the yard? Except maybe Mastiffs and Danes. Have you thought about some of the giant breeds like Leonbergers? They are big and relatively quiet and laid back and don't need loads of exercise. Leos have a lot of hair, though.

Sounds to me like the Boston would have been pretty good for you.

Staffies are nice and fun and seem adaptable. We see a lot at the dog park and they are usually friendly dogs, although rarely do what they are told. :laugh: Then again, most dogs at the dog park rarely do what they are told. :rofl: I've met some nice Boxers as well, that don't seem too hard, but I've also met some Boxers that have a lot of energy.

In short, I dunno! I think you need to narrow it down a bit more. Really think about what activities you want to do together and what would be deal breakers. Maybe we can narrow it down by thinking about what you don't want?

I will some research on the greyhound and a golden retriever, yeah the hair isnt an issue, I will get a furminator and a new vacuum cleaner hehehe

I love male dogs as opposed to females, I dont know why, I just feel I bond with them better, I would actually prefer to go through a rescue, I would love to give a shelter/pound dog/pup a home, I look at pet rescue almost every day :laugh:

I have looked at pugs as a possible breed but would prefer something bigger :laugh:

I think when working full time, I wouldnt have the time for dog sports or anything, Ill have my hands full with walking and obedience class etc etc

Just a little FYI about the Furminator, its great, I love mine, but apparently for thicker coats like Goldens the Mars Coat King works better, at the moment Im using my JRT's furminator on my Golden, but she is only 4 months old and doesnt have the thick long coat yet

What about a Bernese Mountain Dog. The few I have met at dog shows are truly beautiful. Laid back personality and very people orientated. Not sure about their exercise requirements but being a heavy build, I would say they'd be moderate.

Have you ever seen a Boston? They are really tiny. Not sure how you got from that to a large sized breed, but then I went from wanting a Boston or French Bulldog to an Aussie Shepherd, then two Aussie Shepherds! Amazing how these breeds can morph so drastically. :laugh:

Naomi there is a greyhound thread in breed sub-forums, feel free to pop in and ask questions :laugh: There are also some very experienced greyhound rescuers on DOL - greytmate, anniek and layka spring to mind and I am sure they wouldn't mind answering any questions you might have :laugh:

I think when working full time, I wouldnt have the time for dog sports or anything, Ill have my hands full with walking and obedience class etc etc

Obedience is a dog sport! If you join a club that has a trialling class, you can actually compete in it and earn titles for your dog!