Parvovirus- The Latest

GSDowner

I asked the vet when I was there last week about titres. The vet I was dealing with didn't know much so she had the senior vet ring me. He said I'd pay for a consult and for taking blood and the bloods would be sent to WA. He said it would cost me about $350 for the titre He then banged on for 10 minutes pushing the benefit of vaccinations and told me I was uneducated because I don't want my dogs to have annual vaccinations :laugh:

I explained that one of my Cavaliers reacted badly to the last C5 he had. Vet tried to convince me it was unlikely to be the vaccination itself but the carrying agent. So what if it was? The dog still had a bad reaction and I don't want to go down that path again.

This not the vet I usually take my dogs to but go there if there is an emergency or something happens on a Sunday when my vet isn't open. Of course if anything is going to happen it will be on a Sunday.

I have a 12.5 yr. old mini schnauzer and also a 2.5 yr. old. My older boy hasn't been vaccinate for several years, because he had bad reactions to them as a young dog, and at one point we almost lost him. Mt younger boy had all his puppy shots and was due for his annual last February. I enquired with my usual vet who hadn't heard of titres. I also take my older boy to a homeopathetic vet. My usual vet got a price and it came to $250 plus consultation. The homeo vet said the only test we need here in Australia is the parvo, and not to bother with the hepatitus. This came to $90 plus consultation. He still had immunity so no vaccination this year.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Erny was just suggesting that the OP's dog would likely get sick because it had already shown a reaction to the previous vaccine?

Titre test just checks out if the dog still has antibodies in his blood from the last vaccine. If he still has sufficient antibodies, that proves he's still immune, so there's absolutely no point vaccinating him again. Works for parvo, hepatitis, and distemper. You can get it done at the vet.

thanks

so if i noticed my dogs were crook it would be worth getting the titre test done?

Do you know if a killed vaccine will still have the same affect as a live vaccine? (parvac vs c3 or c5)

Too late by then to be any use. A titre is best done a few weeks after vaccinating to prove the vaccine worked. If you got it done now, it may still show that the last vaccine worked.

Killed vaccine is said not to last for as long as a live vaccine. All the modern research on duration of immunity, showing that C3 vaccines tend to last several years, has only be done on live not on killed vaccines.

Killed vaccines also tend to have have nasty chemical adjuvants in them to increase the immune response, so I prefer live for my animals.

I rang Melbourne University last year to try to book a titre test, they hadn't heard of them ...

:laugh: Huh?? What rock are they hiding under?

Try asking for a serum antibody titre test, or an antibody level serology test?

ETA - they're all the same thing, they just may have heard of those phrases!

Edited by Staranais

When I took my pup in for her jabs, about a month ago, I asked if they had been seeing parvo cases. They hadn't had any. That was in Seville. My vet also seemed to think that there was a difference in the different brands of vaccine.

I asked the vet when I was there last week about titres. The vet I was dealing with didn't know much so she had the senior vet ring me. He said I'd pay for a consult and for taking blood and the bloods would be sent to WA. He said it would cost me about $350 for the titre He then banged on for 10 minutes pushing the benefit of vaccinations and told me I was uneducated because I don't want my dogs to have annual vaccinations :rofl:

I explained that one of my Cavaliers reacted badly to the last C5 he had. Vet tried to convince me it was unlikely to be the vaccination itself but the carrying agent. So what if it was? The dog still had a bad reaction and I don't want to go down that path again.

This not the vet I usually take my dogs to but go there if there is an emergency or something happens on a Sunday when my vet isn't open. Of course if anything is going to happen it will be on a Sunday.

I have a 12.5 yr. old mini schnauzer and also a 2.5 yr. old. My older boy hasn't been vaccinate for several years, because he had bad reactions to them as a young dog, and at one point we almost lost him. Mt younger boy had all his puppy shots and was due for his annual last February. I enquired with my usual vet who hadn't heard of titres. I also take my older boy to a homeopathetic vet. My usual vet got a price and it came to $250 plus consultation. The homeo vet said the only test we need here in Australia is the parvo, and not to bother with the hepatitus. This came to $90 plus consultation. He still had immunity so no vaccination this year.

Distemper still shows up around the traps, usually about once a year.

I can confirm the Wimmera Mallee Area is battling with Parvo outbreaks at present and have several reported cases.

Local pounds have been affected as they battle to control the outbreaks. The radio stations are broadcasting the increasing number of reports and advising pet owners.

In the last month, there have been 8 reported cases in Warrnambool, 4 in Melton West, and 10 in surrounding Melb suburbs. I don't have access to specific case details so the 8 in Warrnambool could be a litter in one vet.

Will keep an eye on it though and see if the reports increase.

I should add, these are only from clinics/pounds etc that have signed up to the disease watchdog database, there could be plenty more cases that aren't on this database.

eta parvo outbreaks in aus over the past month...

post-16998-1271292906_thumb.jpg

Edited by stormie

Something is missing of that map....

WHERE"S TASSIE????? :rofl:

In the last month, there have been 8 reported cases in Warrnambool, 4 in Melton West, and 10 in surrounding Melb suburbs. I don't have access to specific case details so the 8 in Warrnambool could be a litter in one vet.

Will keep an eye on it though and see if the reports increase.

I should add, these are only from clinics/pounds etc that have signed up to the disease watchdog database, there could be plenty more cases that aren't on this database.

eta parvo outbreaks in aus over the past month...

post-16998-1271292906_thumb.jpg

eeek i saw this too..I ahve to take my litter down there for shunt testing tomoorrow....ekkk

i just rang them and enquired as to thier cross infection protocol, use of disinfectants and iso wards etc before I would even THINK about taking bubs down there...

All good.

"Disease Watchdog Database" .... good idea. Is that just new?

I personally do not believe in vaccinating a dog for the remainder of its life. I believe, and have proof of this, that should a pup receive its puppy shots and a booster 12 months later it is protected for life. I would never subject my dog to autoimmune problems no matter what a vet/s says. We human beings don't get vaccinated every 12 mths and neither should our pets. I do wish that vets here in ozland didn't make a habit of sending yearly reminders to vaccinate a dog. I shudder when I see an elderly pet at the vet's for yet another shot. :confused:

BUt if you believe that to protect other dog owners (since you think your dog is fine) you should get the titre testing. Wihtout that you may be right you may be wrong and what if your dog happens to be one that doesnt hold the immunity and infects others and the environment after picking up a deadly disease.

"Disease Watchdog Database" .... good idea. Is that just new?

Yeah came about a couple of months ago. Actually though, was started by a company who wants to use the information to prove that vaccines should be done annually :)

Just a question, but the news about the parvo outbreak (headlined and/or implied 'parvo on the increase' ) ..... could it be because of this "Disease Watchdog" that the stats are now able to be collected?

What I mean is, perhaps parvo is not particularly more than what it might have been in the past (not to suggest that makes it no less alarming) but it appears to be more due to the gathering of the stats via Disease Watchdog?

Yeah came about a couple of months ago. Actually though, was started by a company who wants to use the information to prove that vaccines should be done annually :)

Yes - I noticed that 3AW was talking about the "parvo outbreak" yesterday. Don't exactly know what they said, only that Neil Mitchell kept saying the topic was "coming up". I arrived at an appointment just before it was about to come on. But my (cynical) thoughts did drift to it being a marketing opportunity being made the most of.

Just a question, but the news about the parvo outbreak (headlined and/or implied 'parvo on the increase' ) ..... could it be because of this "Disease Watchdog" that the stats are now able to be collected?

What I mean is, perhaps parvo is not particularly more than what it might have been in the past (not to suggest that makes it no less alarming) but it appears to be more due to the gathering of the stats via Disease Watchdog?

Sounds to me like the only "outbreak" has been in awareness amongst formerly uninformed dog owners. No wonder so many people fail to take the risk of this disease seriously and buy unvaccinated pups and/or fail to ensure their dogs immunity.

And its the dogs and the remainder of dogs owners that pay the price for that. :)

Maybe not entirely :( we generally hear of it every 1-2 years and this usually originates from the western suburbs.....perhaps it is the Disease Watchdog or perhaps it is a slow news week.

I was under the impression the Disease Watchdog had something to do with border protection stats as well, but I will go to work and read the info thoroughly.

Maybe not entirely :( we generally hear of it every 1-2 years and this usually originates from the western suburbs.....perhaps it is the Disease Watchdog or perhaps it is a slow news week.

I was under the impression the Disease Watchdog had something to do with border protection stats as well, but I will go to work and read the info thoroughly.

quite possibly. I just remember our Rep coming by and talking about it in relation to the vaccine protocol issue... from memory I think she said they were hoping a uni student would use the information for one of their studies? so not sure whether they themselves are making any commitments to process the data and determine anything from it - will probably depend what the results say I would think!