To All You Fellow Dog Owners - Do You Also Own A Cat?

Abigail

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a 9 yr old Black cat Mocha which took to our little aussie bulldog Rambo from day 1 and as you can see in the pics they love each other, but they do have their moments as Rambo can be a little rough in playtime, but when Mocha has had enough he show him who's the boss. They are very funny to watch.

RambowithMocha21-5-094.jpg

P1040655.jpg

P1040629.jpg

Edited by Brindlebull

our cats are ragdolls this time round

have had moggies in the past

the ragdolls are extremely relaxed...not skittish so they just hold their ground with the dogs

some of our dogs are very respectful of the cats

but the youngest will chase if the cat moves quickly...eg if the cat is going to be fed in another part of the yard and is eagerly trotting to that area this youngest dog will give chase

but thats it

inside they all ignore each other

sometimes

the older ragdoll will initiate play with out lowest in the hierarchy dog

but thats not happening as frequently nowadays

there is never anything but rough play with that younger dog i mentioned earlier...just goes for the tail ...he is the one dog that will pay attention to random cats on our walks though..so i dont know how the neighbourhood cats would fare if they ran

our other dogs pay no mind to cats we meet on the street

id hesitate to mind a strange cat...for the sake of the dogs' eyes

My dog Sparkles has a pet cat! One day I foolshly said to the vet I would try to rehome a hard to home kitten, within 2 weeks cat care rang with a 6 month old Abyssinian cross and we took him for a few days to see if Sparkles would like him. I took Sparkles into the Vets to collect the kitten and drove home with barking from her and crys from this new kitten got home and after about 10 minutes let the kitten out. After a short chase it was evident they were going to be best friends and have been ever since.

Sparkles is the big protector who cries and lets me know if anything is wrong with her cat. Cointreau cat (yes my DOL name) often behaves more like a dog than a cat. They both sleep on the bed with me and both like rides in the car I draw the line at taking Cointreau for walks with Sparkles because of the risks of attack by other dogs. Cointreau will be off the the vet tomorrow for his annual check up I will be chauffeaur and Sparkles will come too making sure nothing happens to her cat.

A couple of photos of the two together.

B00006372.jpg

B00002373.jpg

One birman and one burmese kitten we just got, plus two ridges. The Ridges are not so sure of the burmese kitten and vice versa, but the Birman and Ridges are quite happy to go exist together and share space.

We currently have three indoor cats, one is a birman the other two are moggies. But we are currently dogless, but not for much longer, we pick up our sheltie puppy tomorrow. Then the fun begins. The cats have lived with a dog in the past so I don't forsee too many issues. And the breeder has cats too, so as long as we take our time I feel confident integrating them all.