To People With Long-lived Dogs

Abigail

DeepImpact that is umm quite a diet your dad’s dog is on! :grouphug:

Sounds like she has a lovely life though!

like i said dont condone it but it has worked for her :grouphug: soilt more then us kids were when we were at home we even came second on some occasions

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't where Zoe was from, although Hildaydane Great Danes recently had 2 White bitches go to 20 and they were in pet homes. Hilde from Hilydane Great Danes has been breeding for about 40 odd years and she believes longevity is in the lines.

These days we're lucky to dodge Bloat and Cancer and have our Danes make it to double digits.

My first Dane was a retired breeder from Hildydane and lived to 11years 9 months and I was so proud of her. She succumbed to complications after surgery for the dreaded cancer, a great dog who introduced me to a wonderful breed. Before the cancer she bloated twice the second time she had a gastropexy. I cannot imagine a Dane living to 20 years, that is wonderful if they had quality of life to go with the longevity.

Also, every time a dog has to have an operation, or recover from some sort of trauma, their immune system takes a dive and you rarely see a dog that has had a lot of serious health problems along the way go on to be an old dog.

The dogs that are kept healthy along the way, and particularly keep the dental health good, you have got a better chance of seeing your dog through to old age.

Out of curiosity, what do you define as a lot of serious health problems?

Kuges has had two knee ops (luxating patellas), an op to sew up a bad cut on his leg, an op to sew up a bad cut on his tail, an op to remove a lump on his tail, front dewclaws removed during one of those procedures seeing as he kept fracturing them. (BTW, by 'op' I mean under anaesthetic) He's had arthritis since about 7 or 8 (managed with cartrophen injections, Jointguard daily and a Rimadyl on the really cold days) and a heart condition for approx 4 years, he's had 10 or 12 teeth removed due to a tendency to bad teeth regardless of bones and regular cleaning by me and professional cleaning by the vet during all those other ops. We also suspect he has testicular cancer but at his age and with his heart condition more than likely wouldn't make it through an op so nothing has been done re that.

I'd consider all that to constitute fairly serious health problems and yet he's still with me and nearing 15 1/2.

Edited by hortfurball

My old working dog Bob is around 14, he is just showing his age now, he was zooming yesterday with Gilly.

He has been on raw food for most of his life, I dont know really how old he is for sure.

Gilly who was 10 yesterday, is full of life and energy, he is a JRT/AussieX

He has been on raw food all his life.

They get a small hand full of dry food when I leave the house, once or twice a week.

Dry food is like lollies to them.

Their teeth are perfect.

Gilly has had one op to remove a lump.

Thats all the problems I have had with them.

Bob was crook when he first came to me, but I think that was caused through drinking water with blue/green algae in it.

The have always had good exercise and space in the yard to run.

And LOVE, I think love is the main thing that dogs need to keep them healthy.

Edited by gillybob

OH's GSD lived till 16yrs. She lived on Pal and only had puppy vaccinations but nothing else. She had basic care and minimal exercise.

My Rott who had the very best of everything died just after her 10th birthday.

Our cats lived to 19 and 17yrs and were only ever fed Whiskas. Never had any treatment for anything.

Sounds like there is something to be said in not revaccinating a pet every 12 mths. I just wish vets would soon take hold of this and stop sending yearly reminders for boosters but hey, the almighty dollar is all that matters in the end.

Dalmatian, lived till nearly 19 and then was still going strong and only passed away due to choking on something. She ate raw meat and veggies, some eggs and cottage cheese, glucosamine and flax with occassionally some EP holistic - for the last 9 years of her life.

WOW That is some achievement, 19 years and still going strong if not for a tragic incident :thumbsup:

She was on a healthy diet, that's for sure. I must say that I am surprised in reading so many posts which stipulate that

they fed dogs on supermarket stuff and yet still lived a long life. Wonder will never cease! Luck of the drawer and genes? and no annual vaccinations ??

Edited by Abigail

Also, every time a dog has to have an operation, or recover from some sort of trauma, their immune system takes a dive and you rarely see a dog that has had a lot of serious health problems along the way go on to be an old dog.

The dogs that are kept healthy along the way, and particularly keep the dental health good, you have got a better chance of seeing your dog through to old age.

Kuges has had two knee ops (luxating patellas), an op to sew up a bad cut on his leg, an op to sew up a bad cut on his tail, an op to remove a lump on his tail, front dewclaws removed during one of those procedures seeing as he kept fracturing them. (BTW, by 'op' I mean under anaesthetic) He's had arthritis since about 7 or 8 (managed with cartrophen injections, Jointguard daily and a Rimadyl on the really cold days) and a heart condition for approx 4 years, he's had 10 or 12 teeth removed due to a tendency to bad teeth regardless of bones and regular cleaning by me and professional cleaning by the vet during all those other ops. We also suspect he has testicular cancer but at his age and with his heart condition more than likely wouldn't make it through an op so nothing has been done re that.

I'd consider all that to constitute fairly serious health problems and yet he's still with me and nearing 15 1/2.

Kudos to you, hotfurball for sticking by Kuges and Kudos to Kuges for having been thru so much and yet he is still

with you. Give him a big hug for me :thumbsup:

Bertie is 15?16?

He was a working dog in his earlier life & would've been fed scraps mainly, he lived outside til I got him at about 12?

Since then he has been indoor/outdoor & mainly supermarket food (mainly My Dog), a mixture of cat or dog food, with some scraps.

I wanted to try BARF but got confused so he only really gained sardines from that experiment, he's not keen on chicken necks.

I feed both my furbabies on Hills Science as that was what was recommended to me by both the breeder and our vet.

That being said, mum still has dogs at the family home and she cooks home brand pasta, tuna, vege scraps and tomato paste up for them in a big batch about once a week and they all love it! They very occasionally get bones.

GSD x Kelpie rescued from the pound when he was a pup is still going strong at 15yrs being fed on this all his life! No major health problems up until now (he has cancer :thumbsup: ) but all his teeth are still beautiful, to the point where the vet the last visit, asked mum what she feds them cos their teeth all look so good. I think the vet nearly died when mum said she fed them mainly pasta lol.

Kinda makes me wonder if I'm wasting my money on the Hills..

Kudos to you, hotfurball for sticking by Kuges and Kudos to Kuges for having been thru so much and yet he is still

with you. Give him a big hug for me :thumbsup:

Awww, thanks. I just realised I forgot to mention he's been on medication for the four years of the heart condition or he wouldn't be here.

He had annual vaccinations up until a few years ago when the vet said at his age, they really wouldn't benefit as his immunity's pretty much a given.

I think Gillybob hit the nail on the head - dogs need love to live a long life (I doubt an unloved dog would want to hang around for a long time) but unfortunately it isn't the only answer and can't save them from unfortunate accidents, disease or inherited conditions.

Most of ours live past 15. I cant remember the last one which died [other than a snake bite] before then. In the last few years Eddy[corgi] died at 22 and Matilda [beagle] at 21.

Ours have always had a base of raw meaty bones but lots of variety via table scraps and anything else that comes along. None of ours have ever had vaccinations past the puppy ones and no heartworm meds.