A Good News Pit Bull Story...

Kelly_Louise

http://www.peoplepets.com/news/heart-warmi...service-award/1

Why don't we see these kinds of stories splashed all over the news?

Two years ago, life wasn't looking so good for Hector. A former Michael Vick pit bull, the then-4-year-old was safe from the footballer's vicious dogfighting ring, but still in need of a forever home. Luckily for Hector, pit bull lover Roo Yori was in the market for a new pup, and ended up taking the gentle giant home from the BAD RAP shelter in San Francisco.

"I fell in love with him as a dog," Yori tells PEOPLEPets.com. "It was so obvious that he had scars that show what he's been through, but they were completely external. Inside, he was just like any other dog — he impressed me."

We first introduced you to Hector in December, telling the story of his new life with Yori as a certified therapy dog in Minnesota. Now, the perky pup (who just turned 6!) has been recognized for his efforts in his new home of New York, and received a Community Service in Humane Education Award from the Brooklyn Law School Student Animal Legal Defense Fund on Wednesday.

Yori, currently director of care and enrichment for the Animal Farm Foundation, takes Hector around to organizations in the northeast to educate children about pet care. "We use Hector's story to teach children what he went through," Yori says. "It hurt him, he didn't need to go through it, and it was wrong."

He feels their visits have made quite an impact — particularly because of Hector. "He speaks through his actions," Yori shares. "Once people meet him, they see what a good dog he is, and it says more than I ever could." Yori says he intends to continue humane education programs with Hector for as long as he can — awards or no awards.

The Animal Farm Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to restoring the image of the pit bull terrier, and protecting all dogs from discrimination and cruelty. In addition to their on-site shelter in upstate New York, they provide spay/neuter services, educational programs and more.

Such a lovely story, I love the pic of hector with the little kids in the introduced to hector link, just love the big dopey smile on his face. If there is a god I really do hope when Vick's time comes to meet his maker he his put through the hell that these poor dogs endured

this will sound stupid to some and normal to those who understand the breed, but i would take a dog from a dogfighter anyday over any backyard bred apbt. history has shown and proved thet they are more stable around people than some druggy round the corner with "pitties" bred for looking after the locals plants.

a pretty high % of the vick dogs who were in decent health have been rehomed with no troubles at all and there are plenty that are allready therapy dogs or on their way there.

depending on which humainiac group helps in these raids will depend on wheather all dogs found in raids are kept alive or none are.

there are hundreds and hundreds of great hero pitbull stories out there but they are warm and fuzzy stories and warm and fuzzy wont sell papers. such a shame.

I saw a positive pitbull story, recently. It was in a book about how special the older dogs are. Award winning journalist & photographer combined to find examples that were people's pets. There was a lovely pic of each....accompanied by a little story of the pet's life.

First pic & story in the book was carefully chosen, because this dog had every loveable quality. Her name was Honey & she was.....a pitbull.

The owner's son had found this dog, lost & in awful condition, on the streets many years back. The mum took one look at the dog & said, in hushed tones...'That's a pitbull!'. And was worried the family might all get eaten.

But no matter what was done, this lovely dog just reacted with the sweetest temperament & good nature. When they decided to keep her, the choice of name was a no-brainer....HONEY!

Honey by name & Honey by nature.

I saw a positive pitbull story, recently. It was in a book about how special the older dogs are. Award winning journalist & photographer combined to find examples that were people's pets. There was a lovely pic of each....accompanied by a little story of the pet's life.

First pic & story in the book was carefully chosen, because this dog had every loveable quality. Her name was Honey & she was.....a pitbull.

The owner's son had found this dog, lost & in awful condition, on the streets many years back. The mum took one look at the dog & said, in hushed tones...'That's a pitbull!'. And was worried the family might all get eaten.

But no matter what was done, this lovely dog just reacted with the sweetest temperament & good nature. When they decided to keep her, the choice of name was a no-brainer....HONEY!

Honey by name & Honey by nature.

And I'm sure there is many, many more that we don't hear about... but should. The general community only hear one side of the story - and not generally the good side. :laugh:

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Oooooh.....I found Honey the Pitbull's pic. This was the first pic & story in the Old Dogs book!

A reporter with the Washington Post newspaper wrote that book....& Honey lived near him. His dog, Chuck,& Honey, the pitbull, used to take walks with him. Right into their old age....where Honey never lost her good looks. Here she is.....beautiful dog with a beautiful nature:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveo...ten/eeHoney.jpg