Can You Sew? If So I Need Your Talents And Help Please!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend an absorbent type cotton to absorb only the excess oil. That way, the oil is still against his coat and he can absord more from the cotton as required (does that make sense :) )

If you use something that isn't absorbent, you will end up with a greasy kind of coat when it does come off him and I guarantee you will end up with oil on the floor if not the furniture.

Have you got lots of old throw covers to put on the furniture? I use cotton quilts because they are comfy for humans but easily washed regularly.

I guess you also need to keep in mind the humidity in Brissie, otherwise I'd suggest wrapping him in Gladwrap! :rofl:

:rofl: That reminds me of Bad Boy Bubby ;)

BF and GR - Ok I now get that it will need some absorbency and I do like the idea of the mens singlets BF under a jacket. Perhaps I should get a jersey like your boy has on with the singlets underneath?!?! :mad

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

I recommend an absorbent type cotton to absorb only the excess oil. That way, the oil is still against his coat and he can absord more from the cotton as required (does that make sense :) )

If you use something that isn't absorbent, you will end up with a greasy kind of coat when it does come off him and I guarantee you will end up with oil on the floor if not the furniture.

Have you got lots of old throw covers to put on the furniture? I use cotton quilts because they are comfy for humans but easily washed regularly.

I guess you also need to keep in mind the humidity in Brissie, otherwise I'd suggest wrapping him in Gladwrap! :rofl:

:rofl: That reminds me of Bad Boy Bubby ;)

BF and GR - Ok I now get that it will need some absorbency and I do like the idea of the mens singlets BF under a jacket. Perhaps I should get a jersey like your boy has on with the singlets underneath?!?! :mad

If thats the way you are leaning to I recommend parashute material...if you dont know what it is remember in the 80's those sexy tracksuit pant and matching jackets everyone use to wear? It is kinda shiny, semi water proof and light weight... And it looked OH SO SEXY in the 80's :rofl:

Not helpful for you at all, but Saxon fits size 00 in babies clothes, heehee.

Here he is in is swim wear:

post-31865-1271741799_thumb.jpg

(he doesn't really wear the boardies, I just wanted the rashie to protect him from sunburn, he goes very pink and pale when wet :))

And in his baby bonds singlet:

post-31865-1271741859_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saxonpup

Oh yeah the MC Hammer Pants stuff!!! Grrrr! ;) .... *shivers from the memories*

Do you think a material like that could be sew into a jacket and you would recommend a line cotten lining or the singlets??? :)

It is quite easy to work with... You will need to put something heavier on the outside to give it a bit of substance... You wouldnt need a singlet underneath it if you are only putting oil on his back and rump. Ill try finish bells coat tonight or take a photo of where im up to so you can see what design I use... It may be completly the opposite to what your thinking.

It basically is a rug that lays on their back with a proper collar that they put their head through and a strap underneath that holds it in place. :mad Confusing I know

Oh yeah the MC Hammer Pants stuff!!! Grrrr! :rofl: .... *shivers from the memories*

Do you think a material like that could be sew into a jacket and you would recommend a line cotten lining or the singlets??? :mad

It is quite easy to work with... You will need to put something heavier on the outside to give it a bit of substance... You wouldnt need a singlet underneath it if you are only putting oil on his back and rump. Ill try finish bells coat tonight or take a photo of where im up to so you can see what design I use... It may be completly the opposite to what your thinking.

It basically is a rug that lays on their back with a proper collar that they put their head through and a strap underneath that holds it in place. ;) Confusing I know

Not at all that's kind of what I was thinking too! :) Looking forward to seeing it! :rofl:

If you can get the parachute material you could line it (which would be the outside) with stretch interlock. I think you need something other than plastic or as that may cause heat problems and would just end up covered in the ointment. Would something like the rubber backed curtain material work as then it would be single thickness, give a waterproof coat but not be too heavy. Spotlight had some lightweight stuff in the curtain dept. that might work. I'll ask me mum-she is an amazing sewer and full of good ideas.

FTPO - Orbits is mostly going to be to protect from pollens and the grass, as when he's wearing coats his itching is much better, so I'm hoping to make something he can wear in the summer too and even when we go to school, as he gets itchy after doing down's in the grass etc.

I put alpha kerri on him occasionally and now that's its cooler I put his Chilly Dog Sweater on to protect the furniture cause he loves to roll all over the place if he has something remotely smelly on him. I don't put much on though, I usually dilute it with water and use it as a final rinse, so he's not overly oily and after a couple of hours its mostly gone.

Ok thinking out loud here.

What about a bonds t-shirt? You could cut a little in the front for his boy bits and then cut out two pieces of elastic and sew it from the back to front around his legs to stop it riding up. That way you only have to wash a light T-shirt instead of a heavier jacket every time it gets too oily. Then I like the idea of using light weight curtain fabric. I have a grooming jacket made out of parachute fabric and it is so noisy so I wouldn't be using that.

If you find a design you like let me know and I will sew it up for you if you like? Maybe go to Spotlight and have a look if you can find some fabric you think might work. Also a cheap place to get old curtain fabric is at charity shops. I found a great set which I made into pillow covers for 50c :thumbsup:

Why not look at PUL (Polyurethane Laminate) - the stuff they make nappy covers out of.

You could buy a plain white batch of PUL from www.gbau.com.au (probably need 2m). If you don't like the white, you could use a light fabric over the top, or dye it funky (or buy a different colour to start with). Have it sewn up in the pjs pattern that someone creates, and bobs yer uncle.

PUL is a laminated fabric - you'd probably want a poly (the white), because it would be lighter and less likely to wick the oil. It's waterproof and has *some* limited ability to breath. It's got stretch, but not too much, so is easy and good for movement.

I think it would be your best bet for what you want it to do. And it's a premade and ready to go fabric, so you don't need to do extra layers.

It can be a little tricky to sew, so you would want someone experienced in sewing. Though seams are not that hard, just when the Foot touches the laminate..

This coat is made of full water proof product ,

I brought it in Melbourne for my showdogs in the rain.

But like all others have said the fabric needs to be pro active & not create issues.

As for oiling it shouldnt be so heavy it leaves marks,our showdogs in the pat where oiled & lived in the house & never covered

post-219-1271753373_thumb.jpg

post-219-1271753379_thumb.jpg

Hi All You Talented Sewing Type Peoples :eek:

I am hoping someone here could possible make a dog coat/jacket for a specific purpose. I will of course pay for this creation.

So the purpose and background story is that my boy Benson has allergies and I need to put an oil through his coat and onto his skin but it does not immediately soak in, thus I need a coat made from a plastic type material that will protect my furniture from the oil while it's on him, essentially a raincoat with the reverse purpose.

Someone suggested a plastic bag to me and I could do this but I was thinking if I had a proper jacket it wouldn't move around as much hence not further irritate his skin.

The oil is going to rubbed into his back and rump - not the stomach, should you need to know this?!?! :(

Thank you in advance from a person incapable of sewing to save her life :rofl:

FTPO

Why not look at PUL (Polyurethane Laminate) - the stuff they make nappy covers out of.

You could buy a plain white batch of PUL from www.gbau.com.au (probably need 2m). If you don't like the white, you could use a light fabric over the top, or dye it funky (or buy a different colour to start with). Have it sewn up in the pjs pattern that someone creates, and bobs yer uncle.

PUL is a laminated fabric - you'd probably want a poly (the white), because it would be lighter and less likely to wick the oil. It's waterproof and has *some* limited ability to breath. It's got stretch, but not too much, so is easy and good for movement.

I think it would be your best bet for what you want it to do. And it's a premade and ready to go fabric, so you don't need to do extra layers.

It can be a little tricky to sew, so you would want someone experienced in sewing. Though seams are not that hard, just when the Foot touches the laminate..

If you use a walking foot (used for quitling) it may be easier to sew PUL. I have had a hunt and found some parachute material in a variety of colours (see you never throw fabric out-you just never know!) so if you don't mind a coat of many colours I could post that to ...where ever. I think if you use a ball point needle the fabric would be less likely to tear and slip.

OMG! Who did that to his tail? :rofl::eek:

He NEEDS a jacket! :)

OK, thinking cap on for fabrics .... I'm thinking lined on the inside with a natural cotton fabric and the ouside ......

:rofl: I told him it's the latest trend and all the cool hounds around town are sport this look! :eek::rofl:

No seriously he had bad mats and I couldn't bear to get him shaved as I believe it hurt him the time before so I got OBG to help me find a breeder/show person who kindly git rid of all the problems for us! ;)

I was kind of thinking maybe something along the lines of tent material/canvas - what do you all think?

He is going to get the shock of his life when he meets the other pooches at the park! even Lexi has better feathers than he does LMAO

OMG! Who did that to his tail? :D :eek:

He NEEDS a jacket! :)

OK, thinking cap on for fabrics .... I'm thinking lined on the inside with a natural cotton fabric and the ouside ......

:rofl: I told him it's the latest trend and all the cool hounds around town are sport this look! ;) :rofl:

No seriously he had bad mats and I couldn't bear to get him shaved as I believe it hurt him the time before so I got OBG to help me find a breeder/show person who kindly git rid of all the problems for us! ;)

I was kind of thinking maybe something along the lines of tent material/canvas - what do you all think?

He is going to get the shock of his life when he meets the other pooches at the park! even Lexi has better feathers than he does LMAO

:rofl::eek: :eek: Tail feather envy!!! :eek::o :o