What Flea/tick Prevention Do You Use?

Flea/Tick Preventions - What do you use?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Flea & Tick Preventions

• Advantage
    • Advantix
    • Advocate
    • Capstar Regular use (atleast once per month)
    • Comfortis
    • Frontline Plus Spot-On
    • Frontline Plus Spray
    • Interceptor Spectrum
    • Revolution
    • Sentinel Spectrum
    • Proban
    • Tick Collars
    • I don't use anything for flea prevention
    • I don't use anything for Tick prevention
    • I use a natural home remedy

I'm just curious on what people use for tick and flea prevention, and just wondering if some products are more popular than others. It depends on which dog I'm treating, one of ours gets hotspots with spot-on's so he's on Sentinel Spectrum, the others are on frontline plus at the moment with either heartguard or the yearly injection.

Voted. I'm in the fortunate position of not having to use anything most of the time. When I go to a tick area I use Advantix and Proban.

Lucky you :laugh: Would save a lot in pet care with us, with the price of preventions!

Voted. I'm in the fortunate position of not having to use anything most of the time. When I go to a tick area I use Advantix and Proban.

Lucky you :laugh: Would save a lot in pet care with us, with the price of preventions!

Yes, here in the nation's capital, that gives us more money to spend on buying brown cardigans and funding roundabouts. :laugh:

Yes, here in the nation's capital, that gives us more money to spend on buying brown cardigans and funding roundabouts. :laugh:

lol, yes you seem to love your HUGE roundabouts! I shouldn't laugh, I was born there!

Both mine are wormed with sentinel spectrum every month. I don’t use a tick prevention because I don’t think we are in a high tick area.

During the summer months I sometimes bomb them with a capstar once a week.

I have just ordered a pack of Comfitis though to try and see whether it’s any good.

I use Advocate for the dog and cat.

After trying many other products I found this works for us. Also we flea-bombed at the beginning of summer and I think that has helped enormously.

We live in a low risk tick area but when we went on holidays I used Pro ban tablets.

I use sentinel spectrum for fleas and worm prevention.

I will use frontline if there is plans on going camping, but seriously considering getting Comfitis. people has told me that it's better than frontline.

Me and the vet nurse worked out that a 6 month pack of revolution that comes with a bonus 6 month supply of worming tablets is cheaper per month or per year than Frontline plus heart worm plus intestinal wormer (eg Drontil).

But I will probably change brands each year, just to make sure there is no resistance build up in the local parasites.

I'd never heard of some of the things on the list. We get ticks here, sort of, but not usually the paralysis ones. Haven't actually seen any on the flat but I know they're in the rural areas. Roo ticks mostly.

I don't use anything for fleas, don't seem to have any, only the odd hitchiker maybe. A Permoxin rinse is done every 2 weeks or so, so that might have something to do with it.

And a tick collar for ticks as well as an eyeball check over.

Yes, here in the nation's capital, that gives us more money to spend on buying brown cardigans and funding roundabouts. :D

Unfortunately we live in Canberra and have just battled a flea infestation. We were told by the vet that once the weather got cooler we didn't need to use a prevention treatment, but lo and behold, apparently it hasn't been cold enough yet to kill off Canberra's fleas! The warmer weather and rain has apparently contributed.

Unfortunately we live in Canberra and have just battled a flea infestation. We were told by the vet that once the weather got cooler we didn't need to use a prevention treatment, but lo and behold, apparently it hasn't been cold enough yet to kill off Canberra's fleas! The warmer weather and rain has apparently contributed.

Clearly you need more brown cardigans on your dogs and roundabouts in your suburb. :D

I use Permoxin rinse every couple of weeks and have some mixed in a spray bottle. I do a daily check for fleas but if I see them scratching and can't see a flea I give them a quick spray. The Permoxin also keeps the flies at bay.

i use Revolution monthly because it does fleas, worms and heartworm. We don't have a tick problem here

This month though i'm changing Tilly over to Sentinal Spectrum - i worried that she rubs herself on her back after putting the spot on that it wouldnt' be that effective so i'll try the SS with her. it came with some free capstar.

Nothing.

I've never seen a tick where I live and only treat for fleas when they get them which is very rare. :D

You've listed Interceptor in your poll but this doesn't have flea or tick prevention in it. I use it.

Edited by moosepup

Nothing.

I've never seen a tick where I live and only treat for fleas when they get them which is very rare. :provoke:

You've listed Interceptor in your poll but this doesn't have flea or tick prevention in it. I use it.

Oppps, added that in because I was going to have heartworm treatments in as well but ran out of options.