Dry Elbows (no Fur) Rottweiler Boofhead

Hi Guys,

Recently I had a friends female Rottweiler over and noticed that when she drops she does so in a very gentle like (feminine even!) manner.

My dog, he litearlly hits the deck hard (and being 50kg plus) I imagine this can't be too good for him. I thought this was normal, turns out hes just an idiot.

His elbows are very dry and sometimes get infected....what can I do about this? For some reason he prefers sitting on concrete as opposed to grass. Is it just one of those things where I can't do much?

Thanks!

Agree with the Paw Paw Ointment - very good product.

If it is very infected there is another product called Medi-Honey which I have found works

really well on dry skin infections and lick granulanomas (Spelling Bad - sorry!)

But Paw Paw is awesome - always have a tube & tub somewhere close by :laugh:

Have you got a raised dog bed on the concrete? I know some dogs love to just lie on concrete & then there isn't much you can do.

Good Luck :love:

Thanks for the input. I have some Lucas Paw Paw ointment but that wont be enough.

He has a kennel with soft bedding, which is where he sleeps, but when he is just kicking back, he tends to be sitting on concrete and as I said

before he drops to the ground very hard.

I find the dogs lick Paw Paw off, I use Unvita cream and check for ingrown hairs.

If the dog beds down on hard surfaces on its' own accord then there's not much you can do unless you get elbow protectors if the dog is suffering because of it or the visual aspect is important.

http://www.dogleggs.com/

pendulous_hannah.jpg

Edited by sas

I'd be dabbing it with Calendula Tea (natural anti-bacterial/anti-inflammatory qualities) and then rubbing in some Aloe Vera Gel. I'd do the former each day until I saw signs of infection subside and then continue with the Aloe Vera Gel.

If not the Calendula Tea, then at least a reputable wound spray. If the infection was really bad, then I would consult a professional for advice. But if the infection is superficial, then something like this is likely to do the job.

Not to say Paw Paw Ointment isn't good either - I use that for some things as well, although sometimes I find it is a bit gluggy and when there is infection I like air to be able to get to wounds.

But this is just me with my own experience to the various skin lesions and ailments that my dog has sported over the while. One of those things includes a lesion (which hardened to something akin to a calous) on his hock. It is slowly diminishing.

I'm not a Vet though.

Edited by Erny

Thanks guys, the Paw-Paw cream worked a treat, his elbows are still dry (although some fur is already growing back, must be the cooler weather I've noticed the problem is more of a summer thing...) but they aren't infected as much.

You can sort of see his elbow in this pic, imagine that, but on all legs:

34q3ezc.jpg

Edited by DerRottwelier

Thanks guys, the Paw-Paw cream worked a treat, his elbows are still dry (although some fur is already growing back, must be the cooler weather I've noticed the problem is more of a summer thing...) but they aren't infected as much.

You can sort of see his elbow in this pic, imagine that, but on all legs:

34q3ezc.jpg

Glad the Paw Paw ointment worked. It's amazing stuff, I use it for quite a few things and have never found the dogs to be interested in licking it off. I massage it into any hard or cracked paws and it works a treat every time and it works fast.

Your boy is beautiful :grouphug:

His is a georgous boy
:clap: Handsome lad. He looks in beautiful condition too.

Thanks for the nice comments again guys. :clap:

His elbows are looking good again, I got him new kennel bedding for winter and a new dog-bed for when he is out the front,

so by and large he spends less time on the concrete now and more time on soft stuff. :clap: