First Ever Reserve Challenge

LizT

I think some of the attitudes expressed here show why newbies give up.

The hohum expressed by longterm winners is pretty apalling. IMHO

I am very encouraging when it comes to newbies and the ring. I go out of my way to during the week to give handling lessons, I help new people out on the weekends, stand ringside and make sure they are in and out when they need to be and explain how it works and what you do.

There are far bigger things to worry about than collecting a 10 cent ribbon or a piece of cardboard

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The certificate itself would be a nice momento for a new exhibitor in a competitive breed. Just like how to a new exhibitor ribbons are exciting, even though there is no real 'point' to them either.

I didn't find them exciting. I've never collected ribbons outside of Group wins or specialty class places. I nearly fell over when I got sent a Class in Group certificate from a Vic show. We don't have them here.

I thought winning RCC in good company was encouragement enough. :rofl:

I am not a long time winner. I don't see why the system as it stands should change. :eek:

I've been showing dogs for 24 years now and I still have some of my first Reserve Challenge certificates, although I stopped collecting them after a couple of years or so.

Once in a while, I'll come across the folders in which they are kept (one for each of my first dogs!) and smile at the memories they bring back to me.

In this day and age of declining numbers, if providing Res CC and even place cards is what it takes to encourage people to hang around for long enough that they are replaced by the next lot of newbies...then it should be done!

Guest CaptainCourageous

I think I vote for making Conformation Shows the spectacle they should be, i.e.

- hand out first, second and third ribbons for each class

- repeal the Victorian rule and go back to CIG/CIS prizes for BIG/RUBIG/BIS/RUBIS being awarded during the lap of honour instead of accompanying the higher award

- onlookers clap when a class of 2 or more is judged

- returned sashes to go back to the show secretary, not the steward

Just a few ideas.

CC

We're all familiar with the idea that different dogs respond to different motivators. Humans also get different things out of showing their dogs and find different things motivating.

I had never even heard of such a thing as a RCC certificate, but we do have ribbons and they are obviously important to some exhibitors. For me from the Secretary's perspective it's about the whole experience of the club's show along with not having a used coffee mug as a prize and making sure the people in the tent are friendly and the catalogue is accurate etc. Looking out for newbies and kids and making sure they get a record of their win to keep them motivated is something I see as part of my role and the role of all committee members. I don't extend that to other exhibitors, they help newies in other ways.

I think I vote for making Conformation Shows the spectacle they should be, i.e.

- hand out first, second and third ribbons for each class

- repeal the Victorian rule and go back to CIG/CIS prizes for BIG/RUBIG/BIS/RUBIS being awarded during the lap of honour instead of accompanying the higher award

- onlookers clap when a class of 2 or more is judged

- returned sashes to go back to the show secretary, not the steward

Just a few ideas.

CC

:eek::rofl::rofl: I think these are great idea's!

am very encouraging when it comes to newbies and the ring. I go out of my way to during the week to give handling lessons, I help new people out on the weekends, stand ringside and make sure they are in and out when they need to be and explain how it works and what you do.

There are far bigger things to worry about than collecting a 10 cent ribbon or a piece of cardboard

I too am very encouraging, passing on my experience and knowledge, but it is the little things that are important to new people! It is something they can be proud of & go home & show their friends and family.

I have been showing for almost 20 years and in this time I have seen exhibitor numbers rise and fall. Samoyeds used to be on way after lunch, but now we could be on by 10.30am (depending on the show). We need to encourage newbies, be excited for them when they win and giving them something as simple as a ribbon or a cards, this keeps our sport we love alive and worth going.

The entry numbers are no where near what they used to be (on a regular basis) so we need these people to stay interested and excited about showing. Yes, it is a 10c Ribbon or piece of card but it is something that encourages them to enter again, (especially in the competitive breeds that get 20+ entries a show). When they start winning Challenges and Best in Group/In Shows that becomes the focus, but until then why not give them a ribbon or card?

I have never seen a RCC certificate either, didn't know they existed. So how did the people who have been showing for a number of years get their jollies back then? Just the thrill of winning was enough for me, still is. How did we get encouraged? How did we learn? Have things changed that much? I still help out the newbies and oldies alike. I still clap and cheer for the newbies and oldies alike. What more do we need to do?

I invest my time in the newbies, so they get get their handling skills to the point where they are competitive and can show off their dog or bitch to its full potential. None have ever been worried about collecting their little ribbon or looking for a card, they've come out of the ring wanting to know what they can improve on. I think that's what they should be focusing on.

Like Ceilidh, I've never seen a Res CC card. I got my first res cc the day my first dog turned 6 months, the reward for me was the judge telling me that the dog was nearly there. The next day he did it and went on to RUBOB and Minor In Group

I invest my time in the newbies, so they get get their handling skills to the point where they are competitive and can show off their dog or bitch to its full potential. None have ever been worried about collecting their little ribbon or looking for a card, they've come out of the ring wanting to know what they can improve on. I think that's what they should be focusing on.

Like Ceilidh, I've never seen a Res CC card. I got my first res cc the day my first dog turned 6 months, the reward for me was the judge telling me that the dog was nearly there. The next day he did it and went on to RUBOB and Minor In Group

My first big RCC was when there were 23 of my breed entered, he was 9 months old and went RUBOB to the dog that ended up getting RUBIG.

While i had gotten RCC at previous smaller entry shows i was particularly proud of this one - i only started showing when he was 6 months old so i was also working on my handling skills. Everything fell into place that day and I was just as proud as i was when he had gotten Minor Puppy in Show two weeks earlier (that day he beat no others of his breed!) I had nothing to show for his big win within his breed though... so i went to the secretary's office where they had bank RCC cards, they wrote one up for me and it is now kept with all other big wins that he has had since.

Everyone is different and for that very reason I do think that it is encouraging to have something like this available for newbies... If you can go home and say that you have had a particularly good win it is nice to have a momento to look back on.

As a Sec I've run into a number of newbies who are thrilled with a ribbon to show their Mum and Dad or friends or whatever. Yes people need to focus on improving their handling, understanding their breed etc but the ribbons are there for a reason as well. If I am forewarned that a newbie is there we'll make a fuss. Last October our steward and the show manager teed up with the judge to hand out ribbons to a new exhibitor at our club at her first show. Sure, we don't usually because it would be a waste, but for this exhibitor it meant something and more importantly, she is still showing. If a ribbon or an RCC card is part of keeping people coming back I'm happy to supply one.

Having said that, personally speaking my third show and first challenge certificate was a 7 pointer, and I was just thrilled. I had no idea at that stage about the derision heaped on 6 point certificates, had no idea I could collect a ribbon if I wanted one, and no idea I should collect the certificate either. Fortunately an experienced exhibitor had me under her wing that day and told me to go to the office to collect it. If I hadn't had that mentor tho', I can see that someone spotting the newb and offering me a challenge ribbon would have meant a lot to me. SBT123, perhaps your newbies don't need a ribbon because they have you - not everyone has someone experienced behind them the first few times.

Big thrill for me today when my young girl won her first ever Reserve Challenge! She's usually places well in her classes and has won many blue ribbons which I cherish and always have to go and ask for (I even ask for the third place ribbons). I found this concept very surprising when I first started showing dogs as with horses the Steward always hand the judge the ribbons and you are given them in the ring. I noticed this at a few shows when I first started showing a couple of years back but thought it quite sad that so many of the winners were just putting them back into the tubs. Personally I thought it looked rude but that's just me.

A friend suggested I ask for a Blank Challenge certificate to fill out as a memento of the day but the Secretary said"No", don't have any. :rofl: Oh well. Oh has taken my word for it LOL. Can't fake that sort of smile :rofl:

So basically, what is the point of a Reserve Challege. I notice that in the UK they give out Reserve Challenge Certificates and Ribbons, as they do at horse Shows.

Oh well, both my daughters came along with me to watch today so at least I was able to share the moment.

Can't imagine how excited I'd be if I ever get to win a Challenge! :laugh::rofl:

At the irish specialty they award Res Challenge certificates and a perpetual trophy- i have only been showing around 16 months and i was absolutley so excited to win this!!

Apart from that i have never seen them before..

If you want a really worthwhile momento, take a camera and get a pic of you stacking your dog at every show. It's something I wish I'd done, I just have a few pics of badly stacked dogs and bitches, to remind me how hopeless I was. LOL

Check my post in the horrendous handling moments thread. I was the queen of the shocking stack :laugh:

The thing I value more than anything else (well, maybe except points) is positive feedback on my dog and my handling (when I get it right)

No ribbon, no certificate compares with those. :laugh:

Given the choice, I'd pick a 25 point challenge certificate over positive feedback. I know my dogs' good points and bad points already. I know my own foibles and strong points as well.

The point I am trying to make is that what is rewarding to me may not be rewarding to someone else, and vice versa. If ribbons and certificates are all it takes to keep people coming back and entering shows I'll buy them and write them even if I don't give a fat rodents rear myself.

Edited for grammar

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

The point I am trying to make is that what is rewarding to me may not be rewarding to someone else, and vice versa. If ribbons and certificates are all it takes to keep people coming back and entering shows I'll buy them and write them even if I don't give a fat rodents rear myself.

Thanks, I certainly appreciated it!

:laugh:

I have never seen a RCC certificate either, didn't know they existed. So how did the people who have been showing for a number of years get their jollies back then? Just the thrill of winning was enough for me, still is. How did we get encouraged? How did we learn? Have things changed that much? I still help out the newbies and oldies alike. I still clap and cheer for the newbies and oldies alike. What more do we need to do?

Well as NSW does not even have CIG certificates I am not suprised that you have never seen a RCC.

+1

As for NSW not offering Res CC certificates.......when my Stafford was Res CC at the SBT Society Easter Show 1999 (following up on his SBIS the prior Easter), he came home with the Res rosette and a Res CC certificate. :)