Euthanasia

jackie_a1

So as you guys know on Feb 16 of this year I had to euthanise Lucky my (great dane cross mastiff) he was nine years old, he was suffering from skin cancer and a secondary condition of severe atopic dermatitis. I stayed with him the entire time including while he was passing. I couldn't stand the thought of letting the last thing he see on this earth be an unfamiliar face.

I am a vet nurse student so we have gone over numerous amounts of times euthanasia lethabarb etc and have watched videos and during work placement I witnessed a few euthanasias first hand myself. It's always devastating regardless of what or who's animal is being euthanised.

My question is, how many of you have had to euthanise your pet? And who of you stayed through the entire process?

Rest in Peace my beautiful big boy. I miss you.

I have stayed with all mine.

Our last beautiful girl was riddled with Ca, had gone blind overnite. I took a month off work to spend with her and then it was time for us to say goodbye. It was so hard for us but I believe much nicer for her -ie. we had the vet come to the house and we were all with her and patting her whilst she lay in her own bed as she went to sleep for the last time.

We miss her so much even tho we now have another two rascals to love. She came to us as a puppy and grew up with my 3 boys.

I think its important to try and know when enough is enough (not that easy a task). I did hang on too long once to our darling feline waiting for the boys to return from hols with their Dad as they were ringing every day desperate for him to get better. i waited too long and he was eventually in agony in spite of the morphine. I feel sick just remembering it. I will NEVER wait too long again!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the most upsetting thing deciding it is time, but it is the best decision once every resource has been explored, but of course this doesn't make it any easier. I was 9 years old the first Samoyed we had to put to sleep, I stayed in the room as did my whole family, and I can't say it was the best experience but I wanted to be there to pat my girl and say goodbye, she was faithful and I wanted her to know I was there. Since then we have had so say goodbye to our 16 1/2 year old boy "Mosco" & 15 1/2 year girl "Tika", my dad and sister could never be in the room as they were too upset, so Mum and I were the strong ones for them, crying but pating and telling them how much we loved them as they past.

It is never easy saying goodbye especially when you decide, but I cherish the memories