Euthanasia

jackie_a1

So as you guys know on Feb 16 of this year I had to euthanise Lucky my (great dane cross mastiff) he was nine years old, he was suffering from skin cancer and a secondary condition of severe atopic dermatitis. I stayed with him the entire time including while he was passing. I couldn't stand the thought of letting the last thing he see on this earth be an unfamiliar face.

I am a vet nurse student so we have gone over numerous amounts of times euthanasia lethabarb etc and have watched videos and during work placement I witnessed a few euthanasias first hand myself. It's always devastating regardless of what or who's animal is being euthanised.

My question is, how many of you have had to euthanise your pet? And who of you stayed through the entire process?

Rest in Peace my beautiful big boy. I miss you.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm not that keen to push it all behind me either. I'll never forget having to euthanise my pet, but it makes me appreciate my animals a whole lot more. I'm not asking for details and if any one is not comfortable replying than please don't.

I have had to euthanase dogs and other animals and I have always stayed with them.

However! Each person and pet is different.

I have worked in the veterinary industry for 15 years and have seen and held many animals for their final journey. Sometimes people just cannot stay with their beloved pet as they feel they are letting them down. Some do not want that as their last memory of their beloved pet.

I have at times had to hold very well known animals that I had seen born and then at the end. Broke my heart every time, but I helped the owners in one of the most vunerable times of their lives and for that I feel extremely honoured.

Anyway it happens is the right way. The most important thing is that they are guided on their finally journey with love, peace and understanding. The same with how an owner copes and their decisions, they are right for that owner.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I have also worked in a vet hospital (although it seems like another life-time now) and found it very upsetting when someone's much loved pet was pts, but it's a whole other world when it's your own beloved dog/cat that's going through it.

The one thing I have learnt is that when the time comes I make the rules - I will decide where it will happen, and for me that's not in the surgery as I don't want them to spend their last moments in unfamiliar, sometimes scary surroundings.

But those last moments are going to be VERY hard for anyone, no matter who you are, or where you work, it's losing a special friend and we're responsible for them and we're hoping we've made the right decision at the right time.

As a vet nurse, I have assisted in hundreds of euths and never had a problem doing so, and have always been present during those of my own dogs,

but some years ago I assisted the Vet (my employer) in euthing my old boy and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Still to this day I regret not just being there to pat him and whisper in his ear.....

When I had my boy put to sleep, I made the call to the vets and asked them to meet me in their carpark out the back of their surgery and I had it done in the back seat of my car so that he was not distressed at all. I sat there and held him, but as soon as the needle went in I questioned the decision I had made and wished for them to stop but in my heart I knew I had done the right thing. Hardest thing I have ever done in my life and miss him so much, if only I could have done better for him.

I went through this for the first time last winter. There was never any question of not staying with her, and my partner was the same. My mum came down for it as well. My girl died surrounded by people that loved her. If only we could do that for humans.

We went out afterwards and had a small wake for her. It was profoundly right in every way.

Quite a few, well loved and special horses and dogs, and small animals. I believe that I should be there to help them on their journey, and wish them Godspeed, so they are with someone familiar, who they trust.

Some people can't face being there, and whilst I understand that, I do think that it is the last important thing we do for our animal friends' well being, and we owe it to them to be there. To give them comfort and reassurance.

JMHO.

And it doesn't get any easier with time. Maybe you reconcile to it a bit, but it's never easier.

Rastus enough of that nonsense talk. You did more than enough for him. You gave your pup a great life and let him know what it was to be loved, to sleep in a warm bed, to go to bed with a full tummy and wake up in the morning with another full tummy, to run and play and jump, to have a name, to be kissed for no reason and to be hugged for wrong reasons, you gave him love and he gave you reason. You did what was best for him and he will be eternally in your debt.

I was a little angry when I left my vet surgery. I carried Lucky's collar and leash out and walked outside to pay and I had five or six gawking staring eyes at me. Not the staff but people waiting in the waiting room. I was furious. How rude. Obviously I was upset and distraught I was carrying my dogs possessions it does not take a genius to know DON'T STARE! Especially when I was crying my eyes were blood shot and gasping like a mad woman. I don't care what you say. Regardless if you had no idea of the situation didn't your Mother tell you not to stare? Not a nice feeling.

Edited by jackie_a1

My lovely 14 1/2 year old girl was pts last year on black saturday night. We knew the end was coming and I promised her she would not have to go to the vets as she was always such a sooky lala there so I rang the vets and they came to the house 20 minutes later.

The timing was terrible as we had had fires in the area and we had a family of 6 staying with us who had been evacuated from their property but it was suddenly time for Meg and I couldn't let her suffer.

I carried her to my bedroom where she had slept all her life and I lay on my bed with her as the vet gently put her to sleep.

Because I was able to do this for her in the familar surroundings of her own home in her own bed, it gave me a great sense of peace in a time of incredible sorrow. The vet was lovely. He had to kneel down beside the bed and work with pretty shocking lighting but all he did was soothe and talk to my girl and me and then left quickly and quietly.

I shall be forever grateful to the vets for letting me fulfill my final promise to my sweet little mate and it did make her passing that much easier to bear.

When I had my boy put to sleep, I made the call to the vets and asked them to meet me in their carpark out the back of their surgery and I had it done in the back seat of my car so that he was not distressed at all. I sat there and held him, but as soon as the needle went in I questioned the decision I had made and wished for them to stop but in my heart I knew I had done the right thing. Hardest thing I have ever done in my life and miss him so much, if only I could have done better for him.

x2

It will be 12months for my girl on tuesday and I miss her sooo much

Sadly we did this a month ago.

Our dogs hate going to the vet so we knew it would have to be at home. As far as I am concerned it was the least I could do for my best friend. It broke my heart but this experience was not about me, it was about letting my beloved boy go because he couldn't do it himself.

The euthanasia was the easy part, the hardest part is the decision to euthanase & the gaping void they leave.

I have friends that could not do this but I am glad my boy died peacefully in my arms. It was the least I could do for the 11yrs of love & protection I received.

Love & miss you Tully x

x2

It will be 12months for my girl on tuesday and I miss her sooo much

:thumbsup: Sadly I share the same anniversary as you Harley, Holly left me a year ago on Tuesday. We were so lucky our vet made a house call, still something I can recall like yesterday.

Hardest thing in the world to do without doubt (for me anyway) :D

I have been with all of my own dogs when they went for their final sleep - and was privileged to be there with my friend's dog also when he went for his. That boy was very special for me - I had been the first person he "knew" when he was born, and I was there when he passed gently assisted by the vet 13 years later.

The walk out of the vet clinic holding only your baby's collar and lead, eyes bloodshot, and heart heavy, is one of the hardest things I think... I tend to schedule these things for the very last appointment of the day if I can - usually there is no-one else in the waiting room then, and I and the vet can have a good cry together and remember all the great things about the dog in question. I love my vets...

It is never easy - but knowing that it is the right thing at the right time is some small consolation.

T.