Euthanasia

jackie_a1

Someone from our family has always stayed with the pet for as long as I can remember. It was part of our families philosophy...all the way to the end. I understand and respect other peoples desire not to be there and if you have a trusted vet I think it will always be done with respect and compassion. Being the eldest child and the animal lover, I have been with my pets from a very early age. Not something I like but I feel its part of my duty of care to them. Probably the hardest was my 6 yr old BC, Cody, who had cancer and was referred to Murdoch for further testing and x-rays and I was told it was in-operable. My decision was to not let him wake up but I never got closure on that one as I wasn't there. The vet was wonderful though and he said he would say a special goodbye to him. He had a BC bitch of his own who had the same diagnosis so it must have been emotional for him. He sent me a card which I still have and I appreciated the kindness shown both by my own vet who sent me a card and flowers and the staff at Murdoch.

Both my Mum and I were there for our old Kelpie girl who was 16 and had lived a long and wonderful life. That was emotional but expected and again the vets were wonderful and very supportive. We have never had an animal sedated other than Cody (which was for the x-rays) and we have never had any problems with the actual green dream. I am strong until its over and then I fall apart.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

I vet nursed at a shelter as well as a private clinic, of the thousands of animals pts, both homeless & owned, we never once sedated first, never had one thrash about, never had one problem. It was quick and peaceful.

Jata a shelter is VERY different to a vet clinic with someone who is bringing in a pet in comparison to someone who is putting down an animal from a shelter. Shelter euthanasias wouldn't require a sedation because generally they don't have owners there present to be distressed by the animals thrashing. Shelter animals are usually dumped, abondened, given up etc so the owners would rarely stay with the animal to watch it be euthanised.

I'm talking SPECIFICALLY about PET(s) as in your pet not shelter animals.

If you've had a your pet put down without sedation and it was peaceful then lucky for you I was not so lucky.

Edited by jackie_a1

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pe...e_humane_option

've met so many people who have told me stories of having been traumatized by the euthanasia process," says Dr. Susan Ackermann, a Pennsylvania-based veterinarian specializing in feline care. "Usually a pet passes peacefully, but when something unexpected happens, it can create lasting emotional devastation for the pet owner."

In some instances, the pet may cry out or even try to bite when receiving the intravenous injection of sodium pentobarbital, as recommended by the Humane Society as the preferred method to end the suffering of a sick or aging pet. In a worst-case scenario, the needle can become dislodged, requiring a second injection to complete the procedure.

Sedation - A More Humane Approach

Ackermann says gently sedating the animal prior to administering the euthanasia injection is her preferred method.

"Sedation prior to the IV catheterization allows the patient to be relaxed rather than fearful. The pet can be reassured by their owners' voice without disturbing complications," Ackermann says. "In addition, the sedation allows me, as the doctor, to perform one of my most emotionally challenging duties -- to end suffering -- while preserving dignity for all."

Read more at Suite101: Pet Euthanasia -- A More Humane Option: Vet Best Practice Helps Minimize Trauma to Both Pet and Owner http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pe...n#ixzz0mC74OgHp

+1

I vet nursed at a shelter as well as a private clinic, of the thousands of animals pts, both homeless & owned, we never once sedated first, never had one thrash about, never had one problem. It was quick and peaceful.

Jata a shelter is VERY different to a vet clinic with someone who is bringing in a pet in comparison to someone who is putting down an animal from a shelter. Shelter euthanasias wouldn't require a sedation because generally they don't have owners there present to be distressed by the animals thrashing. Shelter animals are usually dumped, abondened, given up etc so the owners would rarely stay with the animal to watch it be euthanised.

If you've had a your pet put down without sedation and it was peaceful then lucky for you I was not so lucky.

Well, I must have lucked with the Vets I have worked with because very few Euths have gone bad, and no they are as a rule not sedated first.

We have had cause to sedate (tablets in food) some really nasty pound dogs before Euth but pets, nope.

I don't like the inference that it is ok for shelter animals to not have a peaceful passing either, they are treated the same as any other.

+1

I worked at a shelter that had a private vet clinic and I also worked at three other vet clinics. Never once experienced an animal thrashing about and I attended thousands of euthanasias. Whether it is a shelter animal or an owned animal it still deserves a peaceful journey, and that is exactly what they had without being sedated.

+1

Well, I must have lucked with the Vets I have worked with because very few Euths have gone bad, and no they are as a rule not sedated first.

We have had cause to sedate (tablets in food) some really nasty pound dogs before Euth but pets, nope.

I don't like the inference that it is ok for shelter animals to not have a peaceful passing either, they are treated the same as any other.

Exactly

I find the very thought that staff in a shelter would find it acceptable to have an animal pass stressed and thrashing really quite insulting. That is so far from the truth, its absurd- ANY animal who passes from one life into the next should be as peaceful as possible, not just those fortunate enough to have loving owners.

When i took this particular dog to be pts who was sedated, the pure terror in his face as he lost control physically was awful- his mind was still active but his body was giving way- and he was stressed for 20 minutes while they waited for the sedation to take effect, then restrained him a second time for the second needle. I felt sick to my stomach and bawled about it afterwards- especially when the vet said at the end "i assume you've seen that sort of thing before". Thank goodness this dogs poor owners DIDN'T take him to the vet and witness what i had to.

Without exception, every euthanasia without sedation with 6 different vets was peaceful and quick. Thats why i don't see the point of sedation.

When i took this particular dog to be pts who was sedated, the pure terror in his face as he lost control physically was awful- his mind was still active but his body was giving way- and he was stressed for 20 minutes while they waited for the sedation to take effect, then restrained him a second time for the second needle. I felt sick to my stomach and bawled about it afterwards- especially when the vet said at the end "i assume you've seen that sort of thing before". Thank goodness this dogs poor owners DIDN'T take him to the vet and witness what i had to.

Without exception, every euthanasia without sedation with 6 different vets was peaceful and quick. Thats why i don't see the point of sedation.

Oh god, thats like what happened with Evie- she was so distressed, struggling against the sedation, it was devastating. :thumbsup:

Fortunately once she was fully sedated she was completely still but I could still see her eyes twitching and then she had the lethal injection.

I assumed it was completely normal :cry: but if I ever have to do it again I will request no sedation.

I had been told over and over that it would be peaceful but it was not, because of the sedation.

Over a lot of years with dogs unfortunately I've had to put many to sleep without being sedated. Never had a problem until Ben, he was given the needle then started howling. It was heart breaking, he would always give a howl when I left him at home or in the car. Since then I have had to lose two oldies and I've had them sedated first. They don't worry about it and then go peacefully in my arms.

deelee- i am so truly sorry. I was not this dogs owner and it still had the most profound effect on me, and i am someone who unfortunately has witnessed, assisted many euthanasias. This one made me sick. :thumbsup:

Over a lot of years with dogs unfortunately I've had to put many to sleep without being sedated. Never had a problem until Ben, he was given the needle then started howling. It was heart breaking, he would always give a howl when I left him at home or in the car. Since then I have had to lose two oldies and I've had them sedated first. They don't worry about it and then go peacefully in my arms.

How awful for you pebbles, it sounds like Ben new that you were being separated for the last time. These stories have got me in tears :thumbsup: . Thankfully I personally have not yet had to endure this process.

I wonder if the really know?

So what is it that you are trying to debate? That vets do not sedate or that they shouldn't? I know vets who sedate. My own dog was sedated. And as I stated it made everything go much much more smoother. You have to take into account the condition of the dog also. If your dog was in palliative care, terminally ill, weak etc obviously the animal would not have strength or health to make a fuss thrash etc. If you are euthanising a dog who is relatively healthy or even a completely healthy dog would it not seem feasible that the dog (or animal) would have the strength and piece of mind to be frightened and thrash around? Take into account the size of the animal too. Lucky was 65 kilos holding Lucky to the ground whilst waiting for lethabarb to take affect would have been distressing as well as dangerous.

Edit to say:

Anyway back on topic....

Edited by jackie_a1

If you are euthanising a dog who is relatively healthy or even a completely healthy dog would it not seem feasible that the dog (or animal) would have the strength and piece of mind to be frightened and thrash around?

Uhm they generally don't, no.

Edited by Crisovar

I have seen two cats fight euthanasia, but never a dog.

When animals are elderly they do sometimes take longer as their circulatory systems does not function as well and it takes longer for the solution to travel around the body. A younger healthy animal will literally fall of the needle.

I will however ALWAYS sedate my horse prior to euthing.

None of my dogs or cats have ever fought. I have had both my Dobes give big sighs and breathes which happened for a little bit after the needle, but they both had end stage dilated Cardiomyopathy and I fully expected it.

Generally speaking right Crisovar? So wouldn't it be better as a precautionary method to prevent the potential distress and fight of lethabarb to sedate? Then to say well many dogs I've euthanised haven't fought so we wont sedate and then that one animal who fights euthanasia comes along and the owners are in shock. So tell me what is it you're trying to say? Because you haven't seen or experienced an animal fighting euthanasia that you prefer it without sedation? That's fine that's your decision however what I am saying is I prefer sedation. Period.

I am suggesting they shouldn't, not that they don't- i just recalled my experience of having a vet do so.

100's of euthanasias, no thrashing of any kind and at least 3/4 of those were physically healthy dogs capable of fighting. I am also debating your assertion that how a shelter dog passes doesn't matter as much.

We didn't need to hold dogs down while the lethabarb took effect- we held onto them to hold up the vein and held them for the remaining seconds after they passed so that they didn't hit the floor, not to stop any thrashing- there never was any.

I don't doubt that your experience was different and i am pleased that for your dog the sedation was the right thing. But i don't believe it is for most.

I know this is a little OT but i think its important to bring up so that owners know they have options to discuss with the vet beforehand. People usually aren't informed about euthanasia until they are in a highly distressed, emotional state- better for them to be aware of different procedures beforehand.

Generally speaking right Crisovar? So wouldn't it be better as a precautionary method to prevent the potential distress and fight of lethabarb to sedate? Then to say well many dogs I've euthanised haven't fought so we wont sedate and then that one animal who fights euthanasia comes along and the owners are in shock. So tell me what is it you're trying to say? Because you haven't seen or experienced an animal fighting euthanasia that you prefer it without sedation? That's fine that's your decision however what I am saying is I prefer sedation. Period.

Good for you, but the hundreds I have dealt with tell me that it is unnecessary and prolongs the procedure for the owner and the animal.

So we shall just have to disagree.

No it would not be better as a precaution to sedate when the sedation itself creates further problems for many and leads to the dog being unbelievably stressed for a further 20 minutes. It makes it a longer process!! Pet owners have the right to know that there are different ways to euthanase and to discuss with the vet what they think is best for their dog and how the procedure will be done.

ETA Jackie, didn't you say your dog did fight the sedation as well?

ETA2 """Lucky was sedated and he still thrashed and fought the sedation"""

Edited by Cosmolo