1080 Bait In Wa, Sa, And Vic

DeltaCharlie

We are in Perth at the moment for the agility nationals and are planning on taking the scenic route back to Canberra via Margaret River, Albany, Esperance, then down through SA (Elliston area, Adelaide and surrounds), then taking the Great Ocean Road and back up through Victoria (Torquay, Anglesea, etc).

We have heard that there is alot of baiting happening along this route, particularly the Eyre Peninsula and would like to know where some safe places to run our dogs are. They are on tight leads across the nullabor due to the ariel baiting but we dont exactly want them on tight leads for 4 weeks... this is their holiday too :o

Are there safe places (beaches etc) in south WA that we can take them for a run and a swim? What about through SA and southern Victoria?

Thanks

Its a serious concern and the WA trialling community can tell you of a tragedy that befell 2 agility dogs travelling to the Goldfields for a trial a few years ago. We are all particularly vigilant traveling through country areas as the baits don't always stay in the drop zone as crows can pick it up and drop it miles away. The signs can be pretty small and you have to look out for them. Friends who have traveled in suspect areas have used working dog basket muzzles to prevent them eating baits. One place I know they are available is the Swan Vet in Midvale (East of Midland)

I know there is baiting on the way to Esperance as I've recently traveled there to visit family (with the dogs :o )....I don't know about the other areas but I would check out local knowledge and look out for the signs. If you are careful it shouldn't be a problem and you can have a terrific holiday with the fur kids.

We are in Perth at the moment for the agility nationals and are planning on taking the scenic route back to Canberra via Margaret River, Albany, Esperance, then down through SA (Elliston area, Adelaide and surrounds), then taking the Great Ocean Road and back up through Victoria (Torquay, Anglesea, etc).

We have heard that there is alot of baiting happening along this route, particularly the Eyre Peninsula and would like to know where some safe places to run our dogs are. They are on tight leads across the nullabor due to the ariel baiting but we dont exactly want them on tight leads for 4 weeks... this is their holiday too :)

Are there safe places (beaches etc) in south WA that we can take them for a run and a swim? What about through SA and southern Victoria?

Thanks

Can't help with the country SA stuff but will just pass on in case you weren't aware that all metropolitan Adelaide beaches are off-lead and under effective control at any time of the day at this time of year.

In QLD, local governments coordinate baiting programs, so they could possibly tell you where baits have been put, or at least who coordinates baiting programs in their area.

Be aware that baits can be picked up by crows and carried and dropped again, meaning that they can lie outside the bait area. Baits can also last a long time if they do not get wet. Baits that end up under a log or a cow turd can last for a year or more if not destroyed by ants etc.

Also, dogs can be poisoned from dead crows etc that have the 1080 poison on them.

If travelling with two dogs, and one g ets a bait, seperate the dogs as the poison can be passed from one dog to another.

A vet told me once that a dog who gets a 1080 bait can be saved by being placed in a coma.

ggod luck

Your dogs would be a lot better off and safer in a boarding kennel.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of competing in the agility nationals if we didn't have the dogs?????

We did a pretty quick trip over (6 days) and the dogs were on tight leads from about Eucla until we got to Perth. I know there is somewhere at Eucla that we can run them from talking to a local lady who worked at the SA/WA checkpoint and across the nullabor they will be toileted 1 at a time and under close supervision like they were to travel over.

We had heard that there were some dog friendly beaches along the coast of south WA that were pretty safe but not sure whereabouts they are.

With 7 dogs, it is not something we want to risk unless we know that the area is bait free as you simply cannot keep an eye on that many at once. At least at a beach our guys generally don't leave the water, especially when something is being thrown into it (ie ball).

Delta Charlie "Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of competing in the agility nationals if we didn't have the dogs?????"

"

lol sorry to laugh!! but yes how true on both your counts! lol

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

you have to check local council websites about where they are using 1080

Remember too councils and farmers will use Pindone oats to kill off rabbits. You dont need a license or signage for this so if you're close to a farm with rabbits keep them on lead.

Guest Pandii

there is baiting in the koriot area but after the 1st of may, the main warrnambool beach is right for dogs and no baiting

I think most beaches in WA are pretty safe unless they are very remote, many are designated as dog beaches. Might pay to check with the Department of Agriculture and the Tourist Department on Tuesday. I would think that pastoral and National parks areas would have a poisoning regime in place but most places reasonable close to towns would be pretty safe.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of competing in the agility nationals if we didn't have the dogs?????

We did a pretty quick trip over (6 days) and the dogs were on tight leads from about Eucla until we got to Perth. I know there is somewhere at Eucla that we can run them from talking to a local lady who worked at the SA/WA checkpoint and across the nullabor they will be toileted 1 at a time and under close supervision like they were to travel over.

We had heard that there were some dog friendly beaches along the coast of south WA that were pretty safe but not sure whereabouts they are.

With 7 dogs, it is not something we want to risk unless we know that the area is bait free as you simply cannot keep an eye on that many at once. At least at a beach our guys generally don't leave the water, especially when something is being thrown into it (ie ball).

DeltaCharlie the National Parks around Ceduna (Far West Coast region) and down the Eyre Peninsula coast line often have 1080 baits; you could check with the Department of Environment and Heritage in Adelaide for definate dates.

But the local town beaches are beautiful, more often than not empty of other dogs and people and no baiting :thumbsup:

If you would like some info on our part of the world the tourism website is www.cedunatourism.com.au

Hope you have a great trip.