Yet Another What Breed Thread...

It's silly but I feel like if I get one, put all the hard work in and end up with a wonderful dog, I would just be furthering the misconception that GR and labs are automatically perfect for all families.

You silly duffer...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it hard to find miniature poodle breeders that aim more towards energetic family dog than lapdog? Also are they dominant? Most of the toy poodles I know have been (but I think they were from a byb) and none of them were treated like dogs. The same family vs lapdog question applies in regards to papillons as their seems to be a huge range in the size of papillons.

How old are your kids? A Toy Poodle wouldnt cope with my 18 month old daughters "love fatctor" and I would worry since we have lots of kids here about it getting hurt. My Miniature Poodles are great - good size, go mad for a game of ball down the park but require grooming. I (with lots of help from here) learnt myself and they are a wonderful dog that I would recommend to anyone will to do/pay for the grooming

Is it hard to find miniature poodle breeders that aim more towards energetic family dog than lapdog? Also are they dominant? Most of the toy poodles I know have been (but I think they were from a byb) and none of them were treated like dogs. The same family vs lapdog question applies in regards to papillons as their seems to be a huge range in the size of papillons.

How old are your kids? A Toy Poodle wouldnt cope with my 18 month old daughters "love fatctor" and I would worry since we have lots of kids here about it getting hurt. My Miniature Poodles are great - good size, go mad for a game of ball down the park but require grooming. I (with lots of help from here) learnt myself and they are a wonderful dog that I would recommend to anyone will to do/pay for the grooming

And when you load up your family sedan to go on holiday, the mini poodle fits better in the back seat with the kids than the Golden or the Lab would ;)

If you treat them like real dogs, they tend to act like that too.

Out of interest, how big are finnish lapphunds? Are they bigger than a border collie? And how well do they cope with hot weather?

About the same size as a BC, but a little heavier in build. Mine is a monster at 25kg. They cope pretty well with hot temperatures as long as they are out of the sun. My boy didn't enjoy Sydney's insanely humid summer just gone. The humidity was up in the high 80s right up to the high 90s for weeks on end. Kivi Tarro found that to be a bit tough, but trips to the river in the afternoon to dunk his feet in the water seemed to perk him up. And he seemed to feel better lying in front of the fan.

It's silly but I feel like if I get one, put all the hard work in and end up with a wonderful dog, I would just be furthering the misconception that GR and labs are automatically perfect for all families.

You silly duffer...

lol this is true. I just know it would be a constant irritation.

I have a 2.5yo and an 11mo. I'm not interested in a toy poodle only in a miniature. I only brought them up because I know a couple of toy poodles where I have only met miniature poodles in passing.

Corvus - thanks for the info on the Lappies. I'll have to show the Swedish Vallhund to my OH, I'm not sure if his issues with corgi's is the body shape or the fact that the queen owns one ;)

Did I mention mini poodle?? :rofl::rofl: still think this is a great match for your family. :mad I'm sure they are more intelligent than BCs :D :mad (I have a BC so I can say that!1)

If you were thinking about terriers, I'd suggest Lakelands ;) , but IMO terriers, although incredibly clever and marvellous dogs :rock: are not what I'd call 'easy' to train. Poodles are just so smart! Honestly wonderful dogs.

I"d also suggest Italian Spinone, but they are big and love the mud! apart from that, the best temperament ever!! thoroughly trustworthy, and I'm pretty sure they are the only breed to have never recorded a bite etc.

and not anywhere near as boisterous as other gundogs.

Slow and steady :rofl:

My kids learnt to walk by hanging onto our wolfhounds fur.!! :whee: and they were incredibly gentle doggies. But not in your size range.

IMO a 'good' poodle would be fantastic and meet all your requirements, plus, they are soooooooooooo pretty/handsome!! :) PS. I don't think poodles are 'lap dogs', they have energy to burn.

Gee this thread took off pretty quickly lol.

My vote is for a Miniature Poodle ;)

eta: VA - do you know how to add a poll to your thread? It might help you to decide when you have narrowed it down to a few breeds :)

Edited by SecretKei

VA - do you know how to add a poll to your thread? It might help you to decide when you have narrowed it down to a few breeds :mad

lol I'll get the OH to look at a few of the breeds tonight then put up the ones we're most interested in - for interests sake. Then we'll have to go and meet a couple of the different breeds to really make up our minds.

Hi there,

I was in the same boat as you looking for dogs a while ago before i decided on a CKCS, I have a now 4 yo a 2 yr old and a 1yr old, they were really good with the dog.

Its worth going to a show an checking out all the different breeds, as i have said in other threads, also allows you the chance to meet breeders and see how they treat their dogs..also some breeders dont sell pups to families with small children..but its worth a look if your really that unsure on what breed to go for :mad

Hi there,

I was in the same boat as you looking for dogs a while ago before i decided on a CKCS, I have a now 4 yo a 2 yr old and a 1yr old, they were really good with the dog.

Its worth going to a show an checking out all the different breeds, as i have said in other threads, also allows you the chance to meet breeders and see how they treat their dogs..also some breeders dont sell pups to families with small children..but its worth a look if your really that unsure on what breed to go for :mad

You're unlikely to get hands on with a Mini Poodle or get a breeder's full attention at a show - show coats need careful handling. Better to visit poodles in their breeders homes!

Hi there,

You're unlikely to get hands on with a Mini Poodle or get a breeder's full attention at a show - show coats need careful handling. Better to visit poodles in their breeders homes!

Well ofcourse, but she can see all the different type of dog breeds she is interested in there :laugh: and if she speaks to breeders before she goes (like i did) atleast she will know who they are etc etc.

i

Thanks for all the input :)

Japanese Spitz and Schipperke might be a little too independent for me.

Well I didn't know that Schipperkes were independent little buggars and we have 3 of them.... Guess you learn something new every day :mad:laugh::love:

Bummer about the GR, but I think I know what you mean. Shame, one like mine would be perfect :) .

What happened to the Keeshond???

They are beautiful, wash and wear (despite the fur), great watchdogs and I have a very funny picture of my cousin as a toddler sharing an ice cream with our one. She loved kids. :love:

Big thumbs up for Lappies too! Before I got my GR, I was going to get a lappie pup! I met Corvus' Kivi and TerraNik's Ahsoka and they both were divine! :mad Truly stunning dogs both looking and in nature.

Along the same lines how about Norwegian Elkhounds- similar look but less fur than a Lappie or Keeshond. One day I'd love to own one- so beautiful. :laugh:

As for SBTs, they wouldnt be any less OTT boisterous than a Wei pup! I have yet to meet a SBT that doesnt get insanely excited at the prospect of a pat- as for being around a crawling baby?! Yikes.

There are quite a few obedience-titled Tibetan Terriers considering they are not a common breed - also good at Agility, doggy dancing and we even now have a dog with an Endurance title! :love:

They are highly intelligent but like all Tibetan Breeds, they are independent thinkers which *can* sometimes be challenging when it comes to Obedience - they get bored with constant repetition and need a bit of variety.

GREAT with children and no problem with cats or other animals *if they are introduced properly at a young age* :mad

Not yappy but will certainly alert you to a problem - a good inside/outside dog who are happy to romp around outdoors but like cuddles with their family. An extremely loyal breed - their family is their world.

Non-shedding but a clip 3 - 4 times a year will keep the coat manageable for a family situation.

Very good family dogs! :laugh:

Well I didn't know that Schipperkes were independent little buggars and we have 3 of them.... Guess you learn something new every day :mad:laugh::love:

Damn now I'll have to put them back on the list :) Stupid wikipedia

Keeshonds are still on the long list that I'll show the OH. But I saw the Finnish Lapphunds and just thought they sounded wonderful

Okay my list now stands thus. My OH, I hope, will shorten it further. There have been so many wonderful dogs mentioned that would be great, some have been pruned from the list because there are other wonderful dogs that have higher obedience intelligence others for no reason other than I don’t like them quite as much as another breed (not always for a discernible reason)

Sheltie

Miniature Poodle

Finish Lapphund

Schipperke

Keeshond

Japanese Spitz

Cocker Spaniel.

Good with children, soft mouth, and no inclined to bite kids anyhow. Love to be with you, bred to stride over fields all day, so happy to go for a walk, but bred to be with people, so happy to hang out if there is no walk. They need exercise, but not inordinate amounts, and if you can't walk it today, doesn't matter.

Not hugely boisterous, and easily trained not to knock the kids over. Happy to sit on the floor and be dressed in frilly dresses and angel wings. Also happy to wear lipstick, as my toddler demonstrated!! Very trustworthy with children.

They love to please, and are smart enough for obedience - once they were hugely popular for obedience, every second dog was a cocker, but flavours have changed, although the dogs havent. There's a rumour out there that they are dumb, but I've never had a dumb one, and I have one who is one of the smartest dogs anyone has ever seen.

Small and obedient enough for little kids to walk.

Come in a range of colours and shades.

They were bred to be with people, so if you go camping, it's unlikely the dog will nick off, his instincts will keep him close to you (most of them, anyhow). He might stray a little, fossicking around, but he wont be far away.

Groom every day. Ensure teeth and any folds in the lower lips are clean. Easiest would be to spend $200 on a pair of clippers and learn how to clip - every 6 to 8 weeks, about 1/2 to 1 hour, and a little grooming every week then.

Will woof at strangers at the door.

Merry engaging personality. Like to please. Soft, outgoing personality.

Buy with confidence from a GOOD breeder, from good lines. Parents should be PRA and FN tested, and breeder should be prepared to state whether there is HD in the lines. Not common, but can occur.

post-438-1272358545_thumb.jpg