Raw Bones + Warm To The Touch

Hello once again! :hug:

Well little miss Shyla has gone off her raw food now and finds raw things unexcitable, mostly bones. Tonite she ignored her chicken frames, so I put them in the microwave on defrost for 10 seconds to make them smell slightly tasty, and she ate them right up.

Is it bad to warm raw bones ever so slightly as to get them interested in eating them?

I have had the exact same thing with bones lately, was actually going to post. Oscar isn't at all excited when given bones, will often take them (with enough prompting) to his bed and leave them there. I am extremely interested in people's opinions. Thanks so much for posting this topic :)

I wouldn't microwave them just in case they do become brittle. Though really, 10 seconds on defrost probaby wouldn't hurt.

Try soaking them in a bit of warm water instead. Or with a meatier bone you could whack it under the grill for a few seconds on high and brown up the skin.

I wouldn't microwave them just in case they do become brittle. Though really, 10 seconds on defrost probaby wouldn't hurt.

Try soaking them in a bit of warm water instead. Or with a meatier bone you could whack it under the grill for a few seconds on high and brown up the skin.

Yeah good idea!! I prefer that better, I forgot a microwave cooks from the inside out :)

Will definitely try the warm water/grill thing!

I do a quick microwave defrost of chicken frames and other bones when I forget to take them out of the freezer the night before, and it's always been fine with my dogs.

Of course you don't want to actually cook the bone, just get the ice off of it :rofl:

I'm a meanie.... I'd just take them away if she's not interested. She won't starve and you don't want her getting fussy about food. The only time I do try to tempt them a bit is if they are unwell.

Ditto, call me mean too! ;) Then again neither of my boys have ever turned their nose up at any food. Maybe as the weather is getting cooler she doesn't like the bones so cold, would make sense :) Some good suggestions in here though :happydance:

Yeah good idea!! I prefer that better, I forgot a microwave cooks from the inside out :hug:

Will definitely try the warm water/grill thing!

I'm pretty sure "microwaves cook from the inside out" is just an urban myth.

Jamie