Pet Dogs To Be Put Down After Killing

Abigail

Jed, the dogs should be made to pay the consequences and I dont feel sorry for them; they took it upon themselves to kill irrespective of the owner which happens to be a tosser and a loser. To say that I am appalled and disgusted that this pr'ck of a human being has been allowed to obtain another dog and then have those killers returned, what f%ckw't allowed for this deserves a taste of the pudding!

Abigail your use of this language suggests that you may be anthropomorphising these dogs, they are dogs acting on instinct they aren't making a concious decision to murder much loved pets, it's important to recognise the difference because protracted consequences mean nothing to dogs they don't think the same way humans do.

I agree WnH, total anthropomorphising going on here!

My dog has killed possums and bats that have come into our yard over the years, some of the possums are probably bigger than a little chi, it does not make him a "murderer" or mean that he has consciously decided to murder another creature and should "pay the consequences". It's prey drive, simple instinct, it does not make him a bad dog.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't answer my question about trialling Staffords. What's your opinion on them?

I do believe in trialling staffords. Does that imply individuals doing this in a park or when a group of staffy owners get together and carrying out trials?

Jed, the dogs should be made to pay the consequences and I dont feel sorry for them; they took it upon themselves to kill irrespective of the owner which happens to be a tosser and a loser. To say that I am appalled and disgusted that this pr'ck of a human being has been allowed to obtain another dog and then have those killers returned, what f%ckw't allowed for this deserves a taste of the pudding!

Abigail your use of this language suggests that you may be anthropomorphising these dogs, they are dogs acting on instinct they aren't making a concious decision to murder much loved pets, it's important to recognise the difference because protracted consequences mean nothing to dogs they don't think the same way humans do.

My dog has killed possums and bats that have come into our yard over the years, some of the possums are probably bigger than a little chi, it does not make him a "murderer" or mean that he has consciously decided to murder another creature and should "pay the consequences". It's prey drive, simple instinct, it does not make him a bad dog.

You really should not be taking me literally. I am not stipulating that dogs actually plan a rampage; of course they act on instinct but to have the innate instinct to want to kill does indeed make them a bad dog and when that entails someone else's beloved pet - well that's a no no. And I understand that they are fueled by their prey drive and that is what presents a problem in the very 1st place.

You really should not be taking me literally. I am not stipulating that dogs actually plan a rampage; of course they act on instinct but to have the innate instinct to want to kill does indeed make them a bad dog and when that entails someone else's beloved pet - well that's a no no. And I understand that they are fueled by their prey drive and that is what presents a problem in the very 1st place.

So, my girl is not a bad girl if she kills feral mice, or bunnies, or feral cats. But she is a bad dog if she kills someone's "beloved" pet mouse or rabbit or cat? I'm afraid she is unable to tell the difference. If she killed pets rather than feral animals, then that would be me being a bad owner, not her being a bad dog.

Prey drive isn't actually a "problem", either. Many working dogs like search and rescue dogs, police dogs, hunting dogs, and most customs dogs all need very high prey drives as this is how they are motivated to do their jobs. If we breed dogs for low prey drives, we will have very few working dogs left.

The problem with high prey drive dogs is if the owner mismanages the dog. It's not the dog themselves.

Wow I haven't been on her for a while and I'm completely surprised that this thread is still alive.

I am equally surprised that people are replying to such utter rubbish.

So, my girl is not a bad girl if she kills feral mice, or bunnies, or feral cats. But she is a bad dog if she kills someone's "beloved" pet mouse or rabbit or cat? I'm afraid she is unable to tell the difference. If she killed pets rather than feral animals, then that would be me being a bad owner, not her being a bad dog.

Prey drive isn't actually a "problem", either. Many working dogs like search and rescue dogs, police dogs, hunting dogs, and most customs dogs all need very high prey drives as this is how they are motivated to do their jobs. If we breed dogs for low prey drives, we will have very few working dogs left.

The problem with high prey drive dogs is if the owner mismanages the dog. It's not the dog themselves.

What SN said :confused:

Wow I haven't been on her for a while and I'm completely surprised that this thread is still alive.

The only reason people are still replying is in the hope of providing some education, and maybe countering the very pro BSL sentiments expressed here, for the sake of those reading who do not post - and for the sake of the dogs, of course.

Abigail, i hope you're actually reading these posts and learning something from them? There is nothing wrong with prey drive or DA just ownership and management

Staranis put it plain and simple and IMO exactly how it is.

Yes ILk, some people write utter rubbish.

The only reason people are still replying is in the hope of providing some education, and maybe countering the very pro BSL sentiments expressed here, for the sake of those reading who do not post - and for the sake of the dogs, of course.

Jed I understand completely that many are fighting for the breed and rightly so, but to reply to some of those comments is giving those ridiculous comments substance and that poster clearly has no substance, knowledge or understanding.

You didn't answer my question about trialling Staffords. What's your opinion on them?

I do believe in trialling staffords. Does that imply individuals doing this in a park or when a group of staffy owners get together and carrying out trials?

This implies nothing. My friends with Staffords trial their dogs at dog trials. Hundreds of dogs competing, and god help us, some of them are small. They do long stays right next to Griffons or Maltese. There has never been blood shed.

Edited by Earthdog

Jed I understand completely that many are fighting for the breed and rightly so, but to reply to some of those comments is giving those ridiculous comments substance and that poster clearly has no substance, knowledge or understanding.

You know that and we know that but Joe Public that comes across the comments may well not.

You know that and we know that but Joe Public that comes across the comments may well not.

Yes we do know that, but instead of replying to this garbage why not start a positive new thread showing how fantastic the breed can be and let this ridiculous thread die.

Abigail, you cannot say that you know the damage inflicted by a staffy would be worse than any other breed, actually I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue with you. :thumbsup: That is a ridiculous statement, so many factors come into play in an attack.

Staffys should never be allowed off lead? What are you, the dog god?? If I had a staffy that was friendly to other dogs I wouldn't be letting you tell me it could never be off lead.

You do support BSL.

No, Aussie3, I don't consider myself a dog god, just a mere mortal. Just wondering how your staffy would react if it approached a swf dog that growled at him and does not want to be bothered? this is a genuine question as I tend to fear the worst in these situations and this does not apply only to staffies but to certain other breeds too.

MIne would quite likely yawn and act bored, however in his younger days he may have got excited and bounced around on his toes doing the Stafford Chortle.

He would never have launched an attack and if he did it think about it, it would have been stopped very quickly. As in he had an extremely good "leave it" and I would physically remove him if required, but it never was. The leave it sufficed.

I have no substance, hey? well, I and those who know me know differently. Jed has been very patient and educational and for that I am thankful and, in fact, I have absorbed quite a bit of what has been said here. Just because my opinion differed to yours does not make me unsubstantial, lack understanding, etc etc. The way I look at it - well, it is a free world and you are more than entitled to your opinion, no skin off my nose.

I understand what you are saying, ILK, but over the years, people on the forum have always refuted rubbish, in the interests of truth, and will continue to do so. If you leave it, people might believe it is so. :thumbsup: