Pet Dogs To Be Put Down After Killing

Abigail

I have heard on the news the story about three english staffies x pitbull who got out from their property and wandered a fair way from their place (over 500 metres) into the backyard of another pet owner and killed his 4 prized chihuahuas along with his maltese cross pet dog. I was horrified; imagine the anguish that this poor man has had to endure after arriving home and discovering the horror that had taken place. I heard the story in passing therefore am not sure of all the details.

Basically, the dogs responsible for the killings are now at the Lost Dogs Home on a ""stay of execution". The owner of these dogs is fighting against having his beloved dogs put down. Footage was shown of the dogs and they look so affectionate and friendly that I hate the notion that they may end up being destroyed but then when I think of what they have done I feel that they brought it on themselves and that they are too big a risk to be given another chance. What do you think? should they or should they not be put down?

It's THUMBS DOWN FOR ME.

Edited by Abigail

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be put down. Owner should be prosecuted, and should pay compensation to the person whose dogs were killed

The dogs are dog aggressive. They should have been securely contained. They weren't.

No mitigating circumstances.

I agree with the other posts in this thread so far.. dogs that have killed in such an unprovoked manner need to be put down. If it's happened once, it's entirely possible it could happen again and while I am a big believer in second chances.. this is one of the cases where there shouldn't be one given.

I saw this on A Current Affair last night. It was so sad to see the older gentleman who had lost his beloved pets :laugh: I'm pretty sure all of his chi's were show dogs, he said the oldest one was an Aus Ch. The poor man was understandably very emotional.

The owner of the 3 offending dogs, who will now probably be destroyed, came across as real d*ckhead and his poor dogs will pay the price. They showed his new staffy running around with his toddlers, but he still has BROKEN FENCES that the new dog was running straight through. Some people are so incredibly stupid they will just never learn :eek:

Yes the owner was saying how good they were with is young children and how could a dog that good with his small kids kill four dogs? Easily you idiot as dog aggression and human aggression are two completely different things!

He now has another Staffy x! what would happen if he was to get back the two male and one female Staffy x's????? Three males together could be interesting, not to mention his pack - which I believe he has no control over - has now increased in size and will be more of a menace than it already was.

I believe the dogs should be euthanased. Yes under different circumstances and in a different home they may not cause a problem. They have however gone over the line and killed four other dogs. That cannot be taken back and I do not believe that the risk of allowing them out is worth the potential consequences.

The owner is a moron.

The Owner of the Chi's was a registered breeder I believe and all his Chi's were show dogs.

In an ideal world, the dogs would be separated and rehomed with people who demonstrated capacity to contain and manage them responsibly while the owner was banned from owning any more dogs.

But in reality, they will be PTS, and the owner will go on further feats of stupidity with new ones.

RIP little dogs. Their poor owner. :laugh:

Did anyone actually notice the pictures shown of the dogs? One was an outline, obviously no picture available, the other was a picture of two indeterminent crossbred mutts. Staffy crosses, don't make me laugh - that would imply at least one parent was a purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Mutts, what the f*** is so bad about saying the dog is a crossbred dog of no particular breeds at all.

The one at the back of the picture looked more like a heavy-headed lippy Rhodesian Ridgeback than anything else.

GRRR at ACA.

Yes they should be PTS because they have already proven themselves to be liabilities (not their fault at all) and the chances of finding people able and capable of either retraining them or ensuring the same thing doesn't happen again is small - but more importantly the owner should banned from owning another dog and should be made to hold the dogs he has already ruined as they are PTS.

ETA: and I question the use of "pet dogs" in the thread topic - and I assume in the news article? IMO these dogs weren't his pets but an extension of some part of his anatomy.

Edited by Sandra777

What that man is going through I hate to think :laugh::( .

Even if the dogs who killed the others were owned by someone who looked after them and had good fences and was to all intents and purposes a perfect owner, I would still want them pts.

Until you have experienced having a beloved pet killed by another dog, I don't think you can truly comprehend the anguish - and the never ending "what ifs" you go through.

To lose 5 in what must have been a truly shocking sight with the dogs absolutely terrified is unimaginable.

The owner of the dogs who killed should be prosecuted and be barred from owning dogs for a long long time.

Edited by Mother Moocher

What that man is going through I hate to think :laugh::( .

Even if the dogs who killed the others were owned by someone who looked after them and had good fences and was to all intents and purposes a perfect owner, I would still want them pts.

Until you have experienced having a beloved pet killed by another dog, I don't think you can truly comprehend the anguish - and the never ending "what ifs" you go through.

To lose 5 in what must have been a truly shocking sight with the dogs absolutely terrified is unimaginable.

The owner of the dogs who killed should be prosecuted and be barred from owning dogs for a long long time.

Agreed.

Just a question as i didn't see the program...

was the owner of the dogs that killed the chis even a bit sorry for what happened.

If I had a dog that got out due to me not having secure fencing, and then it killed something i would be mortified at what had happened.

was the owner of the dogs that killed the chis even a bit sorry for what happened.

If I had a dog that got out due to me not having secure fencing, and then it killed something i would be mortified at what had happened.

He didn't appear to be but then he never actually even mentioned the little dogs who were killed, he was never asked if his dogs did it. It was a bit strange.

He didn't appear to be sorry at all that his dogs had killed the others.

What struck me was that he said he would fight tooth and nail to stop his dogs from being PTS because it would be like losing a child - really mate? maybe that's how the owner of the chi's felt when he and his wife found their 5 babies ripped apart?

He didn't appear to be but then he never actually even mentioned the little dogs who were killed, he was never asked if his dogs did it. It was a bit strange.

I was strange wasn't it? If he believed his dogs hadn't done it though, wouldn't he be denying it rather than not saying anything at all?

I wonder if ACA didn't let him know they were also interviewing the owner of the killed dogs? Maybe the owner of the 3 cross breeds thought the story was just going to be about himself and how far he will go to save his pets.