Pet Dogs To Be Put Down After Killing

Abigail

He didn't appear to be sorry at all that his dogs had killed the others.

What struck me was that he said he would fight tooth and nail to stop his dogs from being PTS because it would be like losing a child - really mate? maybe that's how the owner of the chi's felt when he and his wife found their 5 babies ripped apart?

Yes, it is extraordinary isn't it? They don't seem to have the mental capacity to put the two things together. His dogs would go being held and probably wagging their tails.

The other poor little things went in fear, horror and pain.

And that is what their owner, poor poor man :laugh::(, will be living with for the rest of his life.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What struck me was that he said he would fight tooth and nail to stop his dogs from being PTS because it would be like losing a child - really mate? maybe that's how the owner of the chi's felt when he and his wife found their 5 babies ripped apart?

I made a mistake, just watched the story again and he said it would be like losing 3 members of the family, not a child as I said in my other post :laugh:

If I had a dog that got out due to me not having secure fencing, and then it killed something i would be mortified at what had happened.

As would I.

But, devils advocate ............. why are people not so horrified when cats roam and kill our birds and other of our wildlife - animals that may well have been encouraged to other people's gardens through the (eg) bird specific friendly trees, flowers and shrubs and so on that we might plant?

I do not condone dogs killing swf's, cats and so forth, so please do not think that is what I am about.

But I am puzzled that it never hits the news nor even here on DOL do I not here the voices of alarm and horror when it is about a cat's doing.

To the contrary, I'm inclined to hear more the "it's what cat's do", yet when it is a dog to (say) a swf or cat (or other animal that might be seen as prey) it is exclamations of :eek: . Why is it seen as so much worse/dramatic/shocking? Why aren't people calling for those offending cats to be pts?

Edited by Erny

The reason is people humanize dogs, they do not do it to other animals as much. People project human morality onto dogs, alot of people think that dogs should know better.

For example, from the OP

I hate the notion that they may end up being destroyed but then when I think of what they have done I feel that they brought it on themselves

The dogs brought it on themselves *nods*

Because they are evil dogs and all

He didn't appear to be sorry at all that his dogs had killed the others.

Yes, it is extraordinary isn't it? They don't seem to have the mental capacity to put the two things together. His dogs would go being held and probably wagging their tails.

The other poor little things went in fear, horror and pain.

And that is what their owner, poor poor man :eek::rofl:, will be living with for the rest of his life.

Yes - and you don't leave a fence unrepaired so your kids can go roaming.

The story was awful :rofl: I was very upset. Esp as the owner of the attacking dogs did not who any remorse for his actions. 5 dear little dogs :rofl: the owner of them was trembling and still upset and he will never get over it (he said).

Erny, I understand the cat thing, I guess they do not get in the media that much as it is not sensationall although I have seen plenty of stories of 'neighbours' complaining about cats. As an owner of 4 strictly indoor cats and a birdlover/wildlife carer I can say I do get lots of very negative and horrible things said about cats (to me). And as a cat lover (and dog lover) i get tired of so much negativity about cats and the damage they do (and I admit a roaming cat is damaging) when so many dogs do worse incl stock kills etc., penguin colonys, possums, koalas and so on. These kills are rarely in the media either. So in that way it works both ways. I'm sure if a cat killed or harmed someones dogs, children, chooks, rabbits etc. they would be on the front page.(so to speak)

I guess little dogs can look like prey to other dogs, and I can see how a tiny dog could be attacked at off lead places as 'prey' by another dog. I don't understand what drove these dogs half a kilometer to kill 5 little dogs in their own garden. Awful.

Cant believe this f wit STILL has broken fencing :eek: ;) :cry::mad:mad

I didn't see the story. What made the owner of the chi's think that it was the 3 cross breeds that killed his? Were they found in the yard or was he just presuming it was them as they were known to wander? And how did they get into his yard :eek:

As far as the dogs 'bringing it on themselves' They're DOG'S for Christs sake. The dogs didn't bring this on, the owner did by allowing them to wander. I dont think they should be PTS. I think that they should be rehomed to responsible owners who know how to deal with DA dogs - but of course that wont happen.

I dont agree with dogs paying the price for an owners stupidity.

If I had a dog that got out due to me not having secure fencing, and then it killed something i would be mortified at what had happened.

As would I.

But, devils advocate ............. why are people not so horrified when cats roam and kill our birds and other of our wildlife - animals that may well have been encouraged to other people's gardens through the (eg) bird specific friendly trees, flowers and shrubs and so on that we might plant?

I do not condone dogs killing swf's, cats and so forth, so please do not think that is what I am about.

But I am puzzled that it never hits the news nor even here on DOL do I not here the voices of alarm and horror when it is about a cat's doing.

To the contrary, I'm inclined to hear more the "it's what cat's do", yet when it is a dog to (say) a swf or cat (or other animal that might be seen as prey) it is exclamations of :eek: . Why is it seen as so much worse/dramatic/shocking? Why aren't people calling for those offending cats to be pts?

Well said Erny, it is obvious "birds" and wildlife don't yet have a VOICE.

I didn't see the story. What made the owner of the chi's think that it was the 3 cross breeds that killed his? Were they found in the yard or was he just presuming it was them as they were known to wander? And how did they get into his yard :eek:

As far as the dogs 'bringing it on themselves' They're DOG'S for Christs sake. The dogs didn't bring this on, the owner did by allowing them to wander. I dont think they should be PTS. I think that they should be rehomed to responsible owners who know how to deal with DA dogs - but of course that wont happen.

I dont agree with dogs paying the price for an owners stupidity.

I understand your peception of this SK but at the end of the day such dogs are "dog aggressive" and given that they have more than proven this goes to say that there will be more victims. I thought I would watch the story on ACA online and the pain that is so etched on the face of the owner of the victims tells me that such dogs simply have to go. I know that such pain, no matter how much time passes, never goes away. You feel so helpless, what is one to do? leave one's dog's in the house just in case? man, I am still trying to come to terms with the past.

I understand your peception of this SK but at the end of the day such dogs are "dog aggressive" ...

I don't know these dogs nor do I know whether they are dog aggressive or whether they were triggered to prey drive.

Prey drive is not aggression. It is an instinct that drives the dog, just the same as the instinct for cats to chase and kill other animals. Do we regard cats who kill other animals such as rodents "aggressive"? I don't think so.

I am really sad for the owners of the dogs who were killed and of course for the fear and trauma those other dogs would have gone through and who have now lost their lives. I also feel for the owner of the 'offending dogs', even though secure fencing could have prevented this tragedy (and yes, couldn't you just kick the owner for not having ensured this so the event didn't happen at the expense of his dogs lives?). I feel mostly for the dogs, especially (but not only) if they are to be killed for an instinct that doesn't necessarily render them DA.

I'll not ever judge a dog to be PTS without knowing the dogs or more details of the incident.

Edited by Erny

I understand your peception of this SK but at the end of the day such dogs are "dog aggressive" ...

I don't know these dogs nor do I know whether they are dog aggressive or whether they were triggered to prey drive.

Prey drive is not aggression. It is an instinct that drives the dog, just the same as the instinct for cats to chase and kill other animals. Do we regard cats who kill other animals such as rodents "aggressive"? I don't think so.

I am really sad for the owners of the dogs who were killed and of course for the fear and trauma those other dogs would have gone through and who have now lost their lives. I also feel for the owner of the 'offending dogs', even though secure fencing could have prevented this tragedy (and yes, couldn't you just kick the owner for not having ensured this so the event didn't happen at the expense of his dogs lives?). I feel mostly for the dogs, especially (but not only) if they are to be killed for an instinct that doesn't necessarily render them DA.

I'll not ever judge a dog to be PTS without knowing the dogs or more details of the incident.

Exactly Erny. The owner is the one who is responsible. How can we preach about upbringing being the most important part of a dogs temperament and then blame the dogs when something goes wrong?

These dogs will be put to sleep, I would rather, however, that they were rehomed and managed by someone experienced enough to keep them safe.

And to the OP, yes this is possible. If the dogs are securely contained there is no reason for them to ever hurt another dog.

There were a number of show chihuahua's killed in Melbourne - I think last May or June. Is this the same story, or is this another, different attack? Just seems a bit coincidental.

People who do not adequate fence their animals usually have no concept of the damage they can do, nor do they have any empathy for others.

I don't think I would want one of these dogs, if they were separated and rehomed. I would prefer to take a dog without a black past, because I would always worry that he would kill another dog.

Some dogs would never attack a dog, some need some early training so they don't, and if that early training is missing, they can be a big problem.

:eek: Re wildlife and birds, Erny. I think it is because wildlife and birlds are not owned and our perceptions are different. Whilst we are talking about cats killing wildlife, the carnage of wildlife on the roads would equal, or exceed those killed by cats.

I think cats are wrongly blamed for a lot of things. Before that loony in WA was running around with the cat skin for hair, and blaming cats for everything, including lunar eclipses, it was acknowledged that cats killed mammals, and the odd bird.

I used to have 6 cats, and a lot of wildlilfe. Hundreds of finches came to the bird feeder, superb blue wrens and their wives caught insects on the lawn, wagtails gave the cats the finger, parrots ate the fruit and the seed. The cats busily caught rats and mice and the odd baby snake. Every couple of years, they caught a little bird - and I wondered whether it was sick or old.

It's also possible to have feeders and waterers which are "cat proof", and I really do think most of the birds cats get were destined for bird heaven. A peewee fell out of the sky, missing me by centimetres, and fell dead on the lawn. I guess birds have heart attacks too!!

But, just in case, the 2 I have now live inside. And I do believe cats are better inside. Some are hunters, some are bird hunters, some are not. I guess the ones I had weren't bird hunters.

I saw this on A Current Affair last night. It was so sad to see the older gentleman who had lost his beloved pets :rofl: I'm pretty sure all of his chi's were show dogs, he said the oldest one was an Aus Ch. The poor man was understandably very emotional.

The owner of the 3 offending dogs, who will now probably be destroyed, came across as real d*ckhead and his poor dogs will pay the price. They showed his new staffy running around with his toddlers, but he still has BROKEN FENCES that the new dog was running straight through. Some people are so incredibly stupid they will just never learn :laugh:

Yes, I found this interview very disturbing and distressing. The interviewer didn't pose any tricky questions to the moronic owner of the killer dogs. He just sat there saying the dogs were wonderful with his kids and they were very important to him blah blah. How about some empathy for the poor man who lost his beloved dogs in such a vile manner?? No sign of any empathy, remorse etc.

These dogs should all be euthanased and their owner fined so massively and banned from having further dogs.

The local authorities are not doing their job either - they should ensure that he does not have defective fencing and if he does, he can bring home as many new dogs as he likes but they all get impounded as they can all escape and do the same as the dogs that have gone before.

I don't give a rats ---e if they are pitty crosses, I didn't really see it personally in the dogs they showed although there was plenty of staffy in them - which is not a plus either as far as I'm concerned. Whatever breed(s) they are, they all need euthanasing right now. The owner needs to be severely punished - something that he gets because he isn't getting anything right now. No sense of responsibility for the evil his dogs have done.

Having had a dog killed in a dog attack by a dog who was not secured on its owners property is something you never ever get over, It is going to keep happening until the laws are made tougher and owners fined a hell of a lot more than what they are now. IMO Even if a dog hasn't attacked if its caught off the owners property regardless of who or how the dog got out the owners should be given a hefty fine that way they might just be a bit more vigilant in securing their property.

And IMO if a dog attacks once it should be automatically pts no if's butts or next times, if it does it once it will do it again!.

I put in my 2 bobs worth after my former little dog had been killed as the Bureau of Animal Welfare were conducting an info night and wanted suggestions on how to change the laws etc, (fat lot of good that did)!

These dogs will be put to sleep, I would rather, however, that they were rehomed and managed by someone experienced enough to keep them safe.

They are staff x's - dozens of these are put down every day, and they haven't attacked and killed other dogs. It is all very well to say that these dogs don't deserve to die, but what can realistically happen to them? No rescue group would ever take them on - the liability would be too much. The owner is a moron and couldn't be trusted to look after them.

I am in tears of disbelief & anger watching that clip,

I remember Keith telling me about that when it happened, both he & his wife were way beyond devastated at what had happened to their beloved pets,

The owner of the offended dogs makes me sick at his flippant response, Of course the dogs should be destroyed, it is not normal behaviour.

RIP little Chi's

sorry don't agree .......................

If say 3 dogs of a different breeding were to get loose, I doubt they would go hunting to kill other dogs, I know plenty of breed types that wouldn't do this,

or are you saying it is normal behaviour for the breed type portrayed in this story.