Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Oh KTB. The perils of posting outside our comfy corner! I started reading your kibble thread before here, and I was about to PM you within about 5 posts from where I left it last. :laugh: Then I had to giggle as all of a sudden the cavalry came in- Max, Wuffles, Clastic, Niques, Primedogs, Raven... :) Bless.

I deleted some stuff from the post I eventually left- nothing 'flameworthy', just a nod to Primedogs about how Deakin wouldn't work for all the treats under the sun (been there) yet would work for kibble, and then something I chickened out of saying. If a dog will work in a high distraction environment for "low value" treats, then isn't that a good thing?

oh poor Ava being called spethal when she was just trying to upgrade her look with a new colour,

here is my preatied up Watson from friday after all the rain after I had picked him up from the other side of the fence :) and dried him off a bit

DSC_6254-1.jpg

Hoover and his ears are so cute, who would want normal ears when they looked like that. Oh your poor ground at least they look like they're fairly small holes

Kuma's face just screams I've been caught, but who could be mad at a face like that

Oh Primedogs! You definitely win the most beautiful dog competition. I hope getting in that state was a hell of a lot of fun! You have to laugh!

RE - holes. Hoover seems to have a sense of adventure with digging. Max doesn't dig in yard, but likes yard edges. I'm always one step behind him with some poo, which seems to do the trick. I'm thinking of getting one of those blue shell pools and some sand on the weekend - am just trying to convince the OH its a good idea! Its just Max looks so darn happy when he's digging! (I mean he's not going to be in anguish is he?).

Wuffles - you win most dog-friendly garden, that's for sure! How did Ava get such a dirty nose? And what do you do about their feet if they've been digging and then want to come inside? I used to pick Max up, tuck him under my arm and wash his feet in our handbasin (when the OH wasn't looking of course).

Maybe we could all pitch in to buy KTB a shovel to fix those holes!

I have been busy at work so haven't checked out the other thread you are referring too, except a quick glance...

For the record, my dog is now on Nutro Puppy. He possibly would eat anything so can't make it a recommendation for those fussy eaters. But his poo is firmer on that than it was on Advance...

KA, love the pics of Kuma on the couch. I love the fact dogs try to be sly but once they are caught out they tend to stop! My dog just tried to bring one of his roo tails (dried, disgusting things) inside as the door was open. He thought he was 'sneaking in' but as soon as I saw him and told him off he turned 180 and walked back out the door. He knows!

I'm not sure who was mentioning clicker training cats, but I can't believe you would even try! I have one very spoilt Burmese here and she would not be impressed at all if I tried that one on!

The only other mildly interesting thing that has happened is that I took Ziggy out for a walk yesterday after work. There were some dogs playing off lead and I approached the owners and asked if it would be ok to let my dog off (Given my DOL education...). They were fine, but explained the BC may get cranky. I also explained it was possible my dog may try to hump (thought I would be up-front about his habit!). Lo and behold he did try to hump the BC and was told off by the BC. He then behaved very appropriately and backed off and was very cautious and well behaved with the other dogs! It turns out the lady with the BC is a flyball instructor at the obedience club I go to, so we have already tentatively booked him in for next year! I am hoping from that interaction that 1. she doesn't think I'm a totally irresponsible dog owner, 2. Ziggy's "habit" perhaps is a bit curbed and 3. We can do flyball next year!

my "princess"

zcat1.jpgzcat2.jpg

How do you think Hoover will react to all the other dogs? It will be interesting! And when does he get to meet Satch? ;)

Let's see how he goes with Kuma ;) Hoover's quite a bit bolder than Elbie so I suspect he might be much more chilled about playing with big dogs. I can't believe I haven't met Satch yet - if it wasn't for all the photos, I'd think he was like Snuffleupagus!!!

I'm a big internet shopper as well. Particularly for DVDs - Amazon (.com and .co.uk) are both great for that.

I think it's funny that in the old days people were so paranoid about internet shopping and it was such a Big Deal but these days it's so common.

Try the Advance and the RC as suggested - and even some others if needed (heaven forbid, you could try supermarket brands) because at the end of the day, if your boys are eating, lookin' good - and most importantly, feeling good - what's the big deal?

;) I'm not sure why some people assume that there's only one way to do things and they have to jump in and judge. It would be different if I said: "I kick my dogs in the head every day when we're out for a walk, do you think 45 minute is too long to walk a puppy?"

I'm glad you found your clicker - I'm pretty certain we have a spare one that OH never uses that I could have given you. It's about time I gave you something. :)

Kuma's face in that first photo is a total hoot. He does look a little bit spethal there but he has puppy dog eyes in the second photo. He looks so comfortable up on that sofa that I'm sure he must have gone up there before.

wuffles: That photo of Ava is beautiful. How unfair that the mud only makes her lovely fur look even whiter! :eek:

primedogs: I really hope I get to meet Watson soon - he looks so lovely and wee.

Oh KTB. The perils of posting outside our comfy corner! I started reading your kibble thread before here, and I was about to PM you within about 5 posts from where I left it last. :) Then I had to giggle as all of a sudden the cavalry came in- Max, Wuffles, Clastic, Niques, Primedogs, Raven... :laugh: Bless. I deleted some stuff from the post I eventually left- nothing 'flameworthy', just a nod to Primedogs about how Deakin wouldn't work for all the treats under the sun (been there) yet would work for kibble, and then something I chickened out of saying. If a dog will work in a high distraction environment for "low value" treats, then isn't that a good thing?

It's ok, I'm all right. I was a bit irritated but JUST as the not so nice posts started coming in, I got a message from wuffles saying: "Don't bite, don't bite, don't bite.... LOL" which made me give a really LOUD shout of laughter in my office. I'm sure my neighbours thought that I was bonkers. :o I know it's an internet forum and I'm fair game but I just wish that the advice had just been confined to the question I'd asked. I genuinely wanted advice - that's why I posted. I just had a very specific question. I actually thought I had anticipated all possible pitfalls by flagging that: (1) though we were not feeding raw, we were giving some bones: (2) revised diet was ok with the breeder. It never occurred to me that I'd left myself open to criticism about hand feeding, mistreating my dogs at mealtimes ... although there was one dig about the raw/dry thing despite my efforts.

RE - holes. Hoover seems to have a sense of adventure with digging. Max doesn't dig in yard, but likes yard edges. I'm always one step behind him with some poo, which seems to do the trick. I'm thinking of getting one of those blue shell pools and some sand on the weekend - am just trying to convince the OH its a good idea! Its just Max looks so darn happy when he's digging! (I mean he's not going to be in anguish is he?)

Elbie dug a lot when he was younger but poo in the holes mostly deterred him from digging in the wrong spots and he has a designated section of the garden. I'm not convinced about the clam shells because all Elbie seems to want to do with that is chew on it and spit out little plastic bits on the ground. :laugh: I think the clam shells could work for you so long as Max doesn't just want to eat the shells.

Maybe we could all pitch in to buy KTB a shovel to fix those holes!

Ha! They're filled already. OH was so funny, he left them there so that I could take photos and then we started filling them in. Your Princess is beautiful - such a lovely lady!

In other news, Elbie knows that he gets fed after us so he watches us like a hawk when we eat and as soon as we put our plates down, he's up like a shot and giving us piteous: "Feed me" looks. So funny ...

meh, diet is one of those things that people get evangelical about. I use a high quality kibble too (I rotate between Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, and Nutro) and supplement with bones, and throw in yoghurt, eggs, sardines, and vegetables on a regular basis (more vegies at the moment, as Shandy could really stand to drop a little weight. Providing your dog looks healthy and gets a balanced diet, I don't see any problem.

I'm also not keen on Hills - I think it's too high in filler. I have Nutro at the moment, and am happy to bring a sample if you'd like to try Hoover on some. I like it because it has the joint support formula, which is handy for a dwarf breed, but in all honesty, I think she generally looks best on the RC. BUt Shandy is a typical corgi, and the only food I've ever seen her refuse is mushrooms!

I got leaned on by Satchmo tonight - he's such a gentle giant!

Wuffles - you win most dog-friendly garden, that's for sure! How did Ava get such a dirty nose? And what do you do about their feet if they've been digging and then want to come inside? I used to pick Max up, tuck him under my arm and wash his feet in our handbasin (when the OH wasn't looking of course).

She got a dirty nose from pushing a treat ball around :laugh: I never see them digging and they usually have clean feet when I get home from work. Ava's fur is really self-cleaning, it's awesome. Sometimes they get caked on dirt on their nails but that's about it... if it's been a wet and muddy day so they are wet and dirty in general, they both come inside one by one, sit on the mat and I dry their feet with a towel :) Only once was Ava so dirty that she had to go straight in the bathtub, that was when she still had fluffy puppy fur!

We are considering re-turfing the yard over Xmas when we are on holidays, and getting a friend to water it, that way it will have 2-3 weeks to establish itself before we let the monsters loose on it. Not sure how we'll discourage the digging though. I'm with KTB, we had a clam shell and Ava ate it. I'm thinking of getting another one for water this summer as it gets ridiculously hot sometimes and Satch LOVES water.

I got leaned on by Satchmo tonight - he's such a gentle giant!

Lucky you, Lord Satchmo has deemed you fit to give him pats :bolt:

humm im reading all these posts on what people are feeding there puppies/dogs... and i dont tink im doing it right.

when i got ike he was only being fed Advanced puppy kibble and the breeders said just to keep feeding him that untill his about 5 months old, but then when we went to the vet and he asked what we were feeding ike he seemed shocked so for the last 2 months ive been feeding him a mixture of mince, kibble and veggies ( i did that with my samoyed and he is healthy)... am i doing it all wrong???

I have a clam shell here that hasn't been chewed but it was here before the dogs and Deakin doesn't use the sand clam for digging, for him its his afternoon siesta spot. Watson occasionally digs a bit in it but most the time his digging around deakin and there isn't a lot of sand in it as over the years most of it has eventually ended up outside the sandpit. The other side gets used in summer and filled with water if its a hot day, its great as it means you know the dogs have a bit of water to cool off in and you know that there will be water for them the whole day.

princess is so pretty

Foxyboi, if he is doing good on it then you are probably doing it right

I really hope I get to meet Watson soon - he looks so lovely and wee.

we will mosst likley be at the dogs day out in november, so if your around you might be able to see him there, but it depends on if i can convince someone to come along.

Ava looks so very proud of her muddy face - "I did good??"

Kuma's face looks decidedly bearish in that first photo. Normally it's the size that makes the comparison apt, but he's actually starting to really look like one :rofl: What priceless expressions on the couch photos. It looks like the adventure was very much worth it for him.

Primedogs, now there's a face that I'd love to have around the house. Once dried off :eek: He's such a cutie!

I'm still bewildered as to why not feeding out of a bowl is so evil. James gets his tossed around the house most mornings, interspersed with commands. Hell, I'm feeling completely out of it this morning with a bad cold (have I mentioned I hate summer?) so simply threw it around the backyard. However did my poor boy cope :eek: But then, the school of thought I read pre-puppy also said to take bones off him as a wee tyke so he spent a good many weeks first being hand-fed chicken wings and then having said chicken wings temporarily taken off him - naughty me :laugh: Lo and behold, I now have a dog quite happy for me to stick my hand in his mouth (when necessary) to retrieve a bone :eek:

Do people think we interrupt dog's meals for our own pleasure or to spite them?

Foxyboi - Kyojin would already be bigger than Ike!

Said it before Minxy - but hubba hubba... I showed the OH your photos the other day and he said "geeze... big boy, eh?". Kyojin is bigger than Kuma was at that age, but when we got him home he had been sick from a tummy bug and been on a drip/meds. Once home with us, his condition improved dramatically. Just be prepared for the 1-2Kg growth per week!

Edited by KumaAkita

I struggle to carry him!! I think I'll only be able to lift him for another week or two :rofl: I haven't weighed him yet, but our breeder says he is going to be a very big boy. I enrolled him into puppy school last night, so I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the other people there when we rock up. :eek: I already know one of the other pups that will be there is an 8 week old BC who is currently smaller than our cats!

I struggle to carry him!! I think I'll only be able to lift him for another week or two :rofl: I haven't weighed him yet, but our breeder says he is going to be a very big boy. I enrolled him into puppy school last night, so I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the other people there when we rock up. :eek: I already know one of the other pups that will be there is an 8 week old BC who is currently smaller than our cats!

That is quite fun I must admit - there were many shocked faces and a lot of explaining what an Akita was! Our puppy preschool with Kuma at 12 weeks of age he was 12-13Kg, there was a mini JRT x (crossed with a sesame seed?) that weighed 1.8Kg on the first night it fell asleep before class ended! We had a good instructor who let the litte dogs and big dogs play separately. There was a Shar Pei in the class who was used to rumbling with its older Amstaff sibling so she and Kuma had great fun!

Enjoy!

Edited by KumaAkita