Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Naomi: Hullo! Welcome to the thread :eek: Yes, Elbie's grown up heaps but he is still a puppy and I feel so bad for him sometimes. On the one hand, I think he loves having Hoover around on the other hand, you have no idea how pitiful it is when we're here trying to teach Hoover to shake hands etc and Elbie's sitting a few metres away, pathetically raising HIS paw as if to say: "Look! Look! *I* can do this! Give me the treat!"

Last night, I was trying to teach Hoover to go to his dog bed and Elbie kept jumping back and forth. Elbie is so smart and switched on and he listens so hard even when we're not talking to him. :laugh: Telling Hoover to sit/drop/rollover/shake hands has Elbie In The Distance doing all the moves over and over again and clearly very confused about why Hoover can't get it right! :laugh:

Also, lovely photos of Blossom! Good quality photos do wonders for rescue dogs. They are so much nicer and clearer than the current photos of Blossom. Hope she finds a home soon.

Thank you! She's such a beautiful dog. I really, really hope that we can help her.

wow, im amazed you get that bed in elbies crate :love:

poor elbie, he really wants his bed back :eek: they are very cute together

Those TopBuy crates are amazingly huge! We want to make Elbie's crate as comfy for him as possible. If you could see the expressions he pulls when Hoover's muscling his way in to the bed :eek:

Done :eek:

Thanks dearest! :eek: I know we're all friends here but seeing my HUGE photos reposted back reminds me of all the rules of photo etiquette I have probably breached :(

The blinds! We were due to have timber venetian blinds installed last month :o I could just imagine the havock a puppy could wreak with them so they're gone into storage and we're putting up some roman blinds until this time next year or there abouts.

Hoover is a LOT more destructive than Elbie ever was at the same age. Growing up on a farm I guess he wasn't in the house so his first instinct is to chew on everything. :rofl: He is very sensitive to being reprimanded though so he should be fine. As long as our blinds last :cry: The thing is, there were no white bits on the ground so Hoover must have EATEN that missing bit of the blinds! Elbie normally chews and spits out!

Edited by koalathebear

:o

Naughty Hoover eating the blinds! :eek:

Well.. you know the red & black beds that Elbie & Hoover have?

Maverick & Hector have one each of them too, but in blue.

Hector decided that as a midnight snack last night he would eat Mavericks!

So now one side wall of Maverick's bed has been chewed and all the foam stuffing taken out of it! :o

I swapped the beds over, and was trying to make Hector sleep in the one that he destroyed, but nope, he prefers the uneaten one!

I sometimes wonder if they will ever grow out of the chewing! :o

Can't help but love them.. :laugh:

PS ~ KTB .. You need to update your signature now! :D :rofl:

Labrador: Free 2 Good Home.

Eugh. For the very first time I feel like pawning James off to the next person in off the street. He's made me upset before and mildly angry, but today he has just been completely obnoxious. To the point where I'm refusing to talk to him :laugh: Will drag him outside soon to hopefully train it out of him, but in the meantime I am in "whinge about my irritating puppy" mode :o

Elbie's still hyper around new situations and new people - all we can do is try to get him calm faster. One thing we do do is that we save 'jackpot' treats for obedience so if there is any kind of treat that James likes a LOT?

Oh, I very much wish. He completely lost interest in food yesterday. I had to force a piece of cheese into his mouth when he was sitting quietly (for half a milisecond) in a vague attempt to reinforce the behaviour. I am assuming (hoping, wishing, praying...) that, given what a complete pain in the arse he's been today, that he's just in one of his adolescent, bratty phases and he'll be my boy again in a day or two. Which still won't help much for next Sunday. What's worze is that I'm completely swamped by assginments this week and then exams a couple of weeks after that. Come the November, James and I are going to plonk ourselves down at the park and we will learn (ever so slowly) to be calm around other dogs. Hopefully :o

In the meantime, I shall take your suggestion and go searching for a food that will capture his attention. I'm thinking I might get there quite early next week and let him loose in the off-leash area across the road to burn some energy. His friend from beginner's that he used to bounce around with before and after class goes to a night session now so he has no one to let all his pent-up excitement out on.

What a ridiculous owner to keep hitting his dog to prove a point :D James gets a firm poke or tap on the butt if he isn't listening - gets his attention back. And he gets grabbed by his scruff if he's grabbed something he really shouldn't have.

Long-suffering Elbie: “What is this monster doing in my bed yet again?”

staring01.jpg

:eek: I love the way Hoover's just sitting there, almost like he's intentionally in Elbie's face to goad a reaction out of him. They're a hilarious pair. I can just imagine poor Elbie trying to replicate every command. Is Hoover proving to be a fast learner?

:rofl: I think you can only laugh at Hector's cleverness. He had his cake and ate it too.

Clastic: Poor Marsy, once he has recovered he can have another playdate with his girlfriend!! Although SHE will be the one feeling sorry for herself in a few weeks time... I think she's going to need a Cone of Shame as well as she cleans herself like a cat.

Mars will be VERY happy with that I'm sure, his stitches come out on Monday 25th. When is Ava going in for her op? Will have to organise something before then. :o

Would you like some company. :o

Yes please! We'll show up at about 8.45am or so and I'll probably just sit with Hoover for a bit to get him use to the place and then whenever you showed up, we could see if they felt like playing in the off-lead section.

Good luck with the stitching. Hope to see photos of the convalescents. :laugh: I always feel very psychotic when I preemptively remove limbs/ears/tails etc.

Hopefully it won't rain this Sunday!! I'll rock up at 9am so that most of the doggies are in class already.

Stitching went well, Clifford the lion lost its ear, Henry the giraffe lost its antler but got to keep its hoof/hand and Louis the fly isn't nearly headless anymore! :rofl:

We had yet another awful day at obedience. Aside from the food refusal, which he did perfectly, I had absolutely no control over him. I'm really at a loss for what to do. And the day started so well. He should have been food-focussed as he had no breakfast. And when pulling out of the driveway I realised I'd forgotten his treat bag and he snuck out behind me when I got out of the car. He was halfway down the driveway, about to go for a run down the road, when I called him and he diligently came trotting over. Brilliant - I thought we were in for a great morning. So, so wrong. I just don't know what else I can do to make him focus around other dogs.

Sorry to hear about your day... Does he have more interest in toys and are you allowed to take them to class? Mars isn't a very food motivated dog so I really have to make sure he is rather hungry.. normally obedience is at night for us so that morning he gets half his normal amount of brekkie kibble and no dinner..sounds horrible but if I don't he won't find the food I have interesting, he has ignored treats which I have offered him before, I also make sure that I cook up very yummy treats for obedience like sausages/frankfurts and chicken for class now.

When we were in Beginners' there were a couple of times when I was seriously close to tears.. (weak I know..) but it was just like I wasn't there at all, I tried blocking his view to other dogs, calling him, walking around in circles and away from the group, physically holding his head to get him to look at me.. but he was like a little kid that just wouldn't make eye contact no matter what I did. I didn't want to give up but really just wanted to leave I was so frustrated and upset.

Unfortunately Jett isn't good with cats :eek: which is dissapointing as he looks like such a lovely boy! Hopefully he finds a new home soon :D

How unfortunate, hope he finds a home soon.

What age BC are you looking for tigers12? Kylie has a few BCs at the moment, pics are on her FB page here: Border Collie Rescuers but she is in Newcastle..

Don't know if you know of this site: Sophie's Choices (Banjo's Choices) lists all the BCs currently in the pound or RSPCA.

Edited by Clastic

:laugh: At your blinds KTB!!! One of the first things I did when G came home was pull our blinds and curtains up - and tie up the long cord that you are left with!!! I caught her chewing on my timber blanket box this morning, but in the past have caught her trying to chew on the leg of our dining room table - which is wider than her head!!! :D

I've been slack in the photo taking department lately, but I have thoroughly enjoyed scrolling through everyone else's! I love the ones of Ava and Satch playing!

KTB - great video!!! Those dogs are so lucky to have someone like you on their side!

Niques - I am sorry you haven't been having fun at obedience! Sometimes the little buggers just have their own agendas! Genevieve and her friend Bronte, like to dig up the grass. So annoying....

I spent yesterday afternoon on the couch having a nanna nap with G asleep on my lap. It was sooo nice (I was pretty tired... after doing nothing!)! I was out for the count for nearly three hours and when I woke up, she was lying there looking straight at me.... I have no idea if she was awake that whole time or not. But it was nice to snuggle with her and her not moving, scratching, licking, digging or trying to bite me! Back to being feral this morning.

Hi to everyone else!

:laugh: :D :rofl:

I really shouldn't be laughing, but he's just so adorably cute and funny in those 2 pics where his legs are slipping.. and the look on his face!

ETA: Hrm.. I think Mars is having nightmares about his cone..

Edited by Clastic

I really shouldn't be laughing, but he's just so adorably cute and funny in those 2 pics where his legs are slipping.. and the look on his face!

Yes - makes me laugh, too because he has such a silly, bewildered expression on his face. :D

Hopefully it won't rain this Sunday!! I'll rock up at 9am so that most of the doggies are in class already.

See you then! I'll bring my puppy if you bring yours. Am looking forward to photos of the repaired toys :laugh:

Hector decided that as a midnight snack last night he would eat Mavericks! So now one side wall of Maverick's bed has been chewed and all the foam stuffing taken out of it! ;)

;) I was about to say that the beds are great and so durable but perhaps they're not so durable. :rofl: Elbie's chewed a small hole in the cushion case but other than that the first bed is largely intact. Kuma's handmedown is in good condition - he doesn't seem to be a bed chewer. :eek: I have no doubt that Hoover will chew his way to China if possible - he does a very funny little snapping turtle impersonation that makes us laugh.

I've been slack in the photo taking department lately, but I have thoroughly enjoyed scrolling through everyone else's! I love the ones of Ava and Satch playing!

;) More photos! We need to justify our continued existence in the Photos thread. Photos of dogs, photos of dog-created destruction :o

For the very first time I feel like pawning James off to the next person in off the street.

The first time? :o Wow, you have no idea how many times I've joked about sending Elbie to the glue factory, back to Goulburn, to the Pound ... The other night, OH was so irritated with Elbie for being a little snot he walked off on him and said he wanted me to food him dinner (training) because he didn't want to deal with him. Sorry James is being a little snot but it sounds like he's been an angel compared to my little monsters. :o

In the meantime, I shall take your suggestion and go searching for a food that will capture his attention.

I'm sure there must be something out there! Something very smelly ... Elbie would sell his soul for cheese, I think.

Is Hoover proving to be a fast learner?

Pretty good so far - toileting on command, doing a kind of almost shake hands, waiting for food and can sit and drop. We'll see if he has his older brother's smarts, though.

Antlers arrived today. Here is a photo called "Waiting for Antlers"

antlers01.jpg

ETA: The symmetrical wonky ears happened on their own - we did not pose their ears for the photo

Edited by koalathebear

Our class is at 8am now so I will be free at 9am too KTB and Clastic :eek:

Niques: Satch isn't interested in food or toys at training. He's also not particularly bright so he is NOT an easy dog to train... there are those of us out there that feel your pain :D They can be downright brats when they want to but we still love them, right? :rofl: The other night at training when he wouldn't do the recall the trainer asked, "What food do you have?" "Um... steak..." "Oh. Hrmm." :laugh:

Edited by wuffles

Their ears are mirrored! Hee! :eek:

What do your doglets think of the antlers? Someone else on here bought some too....Clastic maybe?

Niques, our Labs are broken. How can they not be interested in treats???? I've tried BBQ chicken, cabanossi, 4legs, shredded ham, liver treats...all of which work great at home... :)

When we were in Beginners' there were a couple of times when I was seriously close to tears.. (weak I know..) but it was just like I wasn't there at all, I tried blocking his view to other dogs, calling him, walking around in circles and away from the group, physically holding his head to get him to look at me.. but he was like a little kid that just wouldn't make eye contact no matter what I did. I didn't want to give up but really just wanted to leave I was so frustrated and upset.

Hah, that was me to a T :eek: Thanks for the sympathetic training stories, everyone! Particularly the steak refusal.

Dogs are masters of emotional manipulation - the bastard had me loving him again this afternoon :( We did some recall and heeling practice on the driveway, surrounded by distractions, and he was a little gem. Was interested when the neighbour's dog went out for its walk but still sat when asked. Recalled perfectly each time...why does he do this to me?!?! :)

I think James' bed has become a bit of a lost cause. Each night I push all the stuffing back in. Each morning, there's even more out that the night before. I gave up.

Hoover very much resembles a stuffed toy, he is so cute!

My goodness look at the size of Hoover's paws in comparison to Elbie's!!!

That is what I thought!!! Wouldn't want to be bitch slapped by those!!!

He looks so cute in a sit position though!!! How has he been going with learning commands KTB?

PS. Genevieve slides all over our floors too, I can never get her to sit for too long before she slides into the down position!

Was replying and got distracted by the Sophie's choice website..... I love the bc smile! Those poor dogs!

Chin up to those suffering the obedience blues. Don't forget to have some fun too....!

KTB - have you ever heard of fotobuch? Or photobook? Its a craze sweeping Germany, where you make, well, a photobook. (I haven't looked it up myself). I think you'd be able to make a fantastic album!

More photos from everyone! And stories. I love reading about all the dog's antics!

Well. My puppy has showed a side of himself today (and yesterday) that's going to be our 'Next Big Challenge'. Someone has decided he's a car chaser. Not on the way to the park, where he usually plays with the other dogs, but on the way home - and I'm hoping its just because at the moment I'm keeping him quiet and he's not allowed off lead. Cross your fingers this isn't going to be bad.

I posted this one on another thing, but check out my wally of a puppy:

post-35830-1287392998_thumb.jpg

(Having mental images of trying to pose TWO dogs ears for photos....)

See you then! I'll bring my puppy if you bring yours. Am looking forward to photos of the repaired toys :eek:

Pepper & I will be there with bells on, and possibly raincoats. I shall take some pics of the repaired toys, but they aren't too bad..

Love your synchronised ears pic!

Our class is at 8am now so I will be free at 9am too KTB and Clastic ;)

Yaaay! Ava's boyfriend won't be there though unfortunately. :)

What do your doglets think of the antlers? Someone else on here bought some too....Clastic maybe?

Oooh yes that was me. :( Hopefully they will get here in the next couple of days and will let you know. I know that Pepper will love them because she is a garbage can.

Was replying and got distracted by the Sophie's choice website..... I love the bc smile! Those poor dogs!

BCs are gorgeous. (Ok.. a bit biased over here)

Max is a very handsome boy in that pic! OH thinks so too. :(

Well. My puppy has showed a side of himself today (and yesterday) that's going to be our 'Next Big Challenge'. Someone has decided he's a car chaser. Not on the way to the park, where he usually plays with the other dogs, but on the way home - and I'm hoping its just because at the moment I'm keeping him quiet and he's not allowed off lead. Cross your fingers this isn't going to be bad.

Eep! :eek: That's a worry! I hope you're able to get on top of it ASAP.

Wasn't Max just a tiny tyke at the beginning of this thread? He's shot up like a weed! And is turning into a decidedly handsome dog.

Nicques - I know. Don't worry, he was on lead the whole time, but would've been off like a shot if he could've been. I'm going to have to start researching.

Thanks for the 'handsome' (as opposed to 'pretty') votes (as if I have something to do with his handsome-ness - ha!)! He's still quite little - only 15.1 kg at 6 months..... precisely... hehe. He's a fair bit smaller than the other bc's at flyball who are 8 days older than him, which makes me wonder considering his 'breeding' (crossed with lab). I think you can see the lab in his face though. They have such distinctive faces!

Clastic - hope Mars is getting along okay. Max is back to his normal self, which is a bit worrying, in case he hurts himself. But stitches seem to be forgotten (thank goodness, and I hope I don't speak too soon....!).

Clastic - hope Mars is getting along okay. Max is back to his normal self, which is a bit worrying, in case he hurts himself. But stitches seem to be forgotten (thank goodness, and I hope I don't speak too soon....!).

Yay! Fantastic if he has forgotten about the stitches! :eek:

Unfortunately for my boy he is still trying to lick at it and has started to try and scratch at it too.. so the cone is staying on. 7 more days!!

lilli_star: Both of our feral monsters loved the antlers - crunched and gnawed away on them like there was no tomorrow. Hoover of course decided that Elbie's antler was more interesting so we kept having to move him away.

aussielover: yes ... Hoover's paws resemble a kangaroo or a lion. He is a very roly poly little thing and he bounds out of his crate like an excited, chubby little wombat in the morning and sometimes he looks so little - but sometimes he is such a chunky monkey.

Hah, that was me to a T :D Thanks for the sympathetic training stories, everyone! Particularly the steak refusal.

I think the most illuminating thing is when you are at obedience and you hear other handlers completely losing their nut at their poor dog and then you realise that your stubborn little dog isn't so bad after all :laugh:

I think James' bed has become a bit of a lost cause. Each night I push all the stuffing back in. Each morning, there's even more out that the night before. I gave up.

The cushion cover wasn't too hard to stitch up but from memory, the hole in James' bed is in the bed frame bit which would be very hard to stitch up ...

Hoover very much resembles a stuffed toy, he is so cute!

A stuffed toy with runny poo, alas. He was on a mostly raw diet on the farm and we switched him to kibble over here and he seemed fine until today - when his poo became very runny. He doesn't seem sick but we'll keep an eye on him.

He looks so cute in a sit position though!!! How has he been going with learning commands KTB?

Not bad. He could do shake hands today and now paws at the door to be let out for toileting. We're mostly concentrating on "look at me" and "wait" right now to get him into the right frame of mind. His eye contact has improved a lot. He also has perfect car behaviour, ignoring Elbie when he is noisy in the car. He also ignores Elbie when Elbie's making a ghastly racket to be let out of his crate because we have a visitor. I'm relieved that he isn't being influenced by Elbie's nervousness - hopefully his placidity will rub off on Elbie and hopefully Elbie's swiftness at learning will rub off on Hoover. :thumbsup:

KTB - have you ever heard of fotobuch? Or photobook? Its a craze sweeping Germany, where you make, well, a photobook. (I haven't looked it up myself). I think you'd be able to make a fantastic album!

Ha! Not likely. My photos are usually silly rather than artistic :laugh:

My puppy has showed a side of himself today (and yesterday) that's going to be our 'Next Big Challenge'. Someone has decided he's a car chaser. Not on the way to the park, where he usually plays with the other dogs, but on the way home - and I'm hoping its just because at the moment I'm keeping him quiet and he's not allowed off lead. Cross your fingers this isn't going to be bad.

:eek: Maybe it's the border collie in him ... I'm very conscious of Elbie's breeding and how he lunges around some cars ... just too scared to get him off lead anywhere there might be cars around. I'm glad you're being careful - Max is such a precious, precious little thing. I love that photo of Max - OH saw it and said it was a "fluffy Elbie". :) The photo of "smiling Max" is also very adorable. He seems very soft and fluffy still - does he still have his soft puppy fur or is it trick of the light? :scold:

I got some footage of my monsters playing in the yard. Video is

. Yesterday, they were spinning and twirling like crazy - at one point, Elbie did three twirls and they were moving so fast it was like I was watching a sped up video. Anyway, today they were a bit more sedate but you can see that both of them are still pretty quick and they have the same high energy levels. :eek: