Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

I got some footage of my monsters playing in the yard. Video is
. Yesterday, they were spinning and twirling like crazy - at one point, Elbie did three twirls and they were moving so fast it was like I was watching a sped up video. Anyway, today they were a bit more sedate but you can see that both of them are still pretty quick and they have the same high energy levels. :thumbsup:

Watching that vid just put a massive smile on my face, its great to see Elbie having so much fun with Hoover! :D

KTB: what a video. I'm going to have sweet dreams tonight. I don't know why its so mesmerizing to watch them play? You've got the two dogs with the wonkiest ears in the country! :thumbsup: Elbie looks very happy! I love Hoover's run to the camera with ears back and the body wag. So sweet.

Max is getting fluffier as he gets older. He's getting the collar, and feathering on the back of his rear legs and tail. He also has along his spine longish hair. I hope he doesn't lose it!!! But I doubt he'll get more. He used to have like a shorter undercoat that was oh-so-soft, but that's gone now, perhaps that was his puppy fur?

Thanks guys :thumbsup: It made me smile because as wuffles and KumaAkita can tell you - Elbie never really plays with the other dogs in the off-lead area at BDOC ... It makes me happy that he's relaxed enough with Hoover to play with him like that.

Max#1: My family dog (lab x border collie) kept his soft fur on his head and ears after he lost his puppy fluffiness. Elbie's the same - his head is still soft and silky.

It's terrific seeing Elbie have so much fun playing with Hoover! They look like they're having a ball together. Do they tire themselves out? It would be interesting to see if Elbie shows more interest in other dogs now, as well. Hoover's tail looks even scarier than Elbie's, if that's possible - they're whiplike!

Speaking of fur, I was patting my neighbour's lab (although she's BYB and is looking less like a lab as she ages) this morning and oh my god, she is the softest dog I have ever felt! She's about 8-9 months older than James so surely she can't still have her puppy down. But ohhhh, I could have stayed with her all morning.

Edited by Niques

KTB, I had to come and see your new little guy - he's just gorgeous- and such a quizzical expression! If you're bringing him on Sunday, make sure you drop by so Shandy and I can meet him. I'm taking the 8am class with Wuffles, then teaching beginners at 9, then we're figuring out what we'll do for the Dogs Day Out in a few weeks at Lake Gin - mark it in your calendars, Canberrites!

But the short story is, I'll be there ALL morning!

Clastic & lilli_star: :rofl: The two doggies playing are very funny. I love the spinning, the bit where Hoover flops into the grass looking a bit despondent that play is over and then he bounces to his feet again and launches himself at Elbie.

Max#1: Hoover's body wag is very enthusiastic. When we open his crate in the morning, he pelts out, body wagging like a joyful, chunky, waggling heat-seeking wombat. It's soooo cute. Max looks softer than Elbie for some reason - must be the fluffiness :o

Niques: We had been warned not to let them play until they dropped because they would rev themselves up too much. So far it's ok. We intervene if they get too lively but from what we can see, they will stop of their own accord and flop down to recoup - but then it's usually the naughty Hoover who decides to launch himself like a missile at poor Elbie who just wants to rest. :) Both have very waggy tails. ETA: Niques - don't give up on obedience. We all go through those stages. Why do you think Elbie's name is Little Bastard? :laugh: We frequently call him by his original name when he's not behaving. :cheer:

CleoJ: We would love for Hoover to meet you and Shandy! I don't want to distract any one during their classes so we're just going to be sitting on those metal seats outside the clubhouse next to the offlead area so that Hoover can people-watch, dog-watch and get pats. I think you'll like him - he's like a cuddley little wombat. See you then! I'm also going to get him enrolled on Sunday but it makes me sad that he won't be able to start beginners until end of January when he's an elderly six months old :scold: Definitely not like his older brother Elbie who is in silver by 8 months!

I had to laugh at the part when they both stop at the top of the stairs and they both have their whacky ears on! :eek:

Yes! They are so funny in that shot. They keep us on our toes and laughing, that's for sure. :D

Edited by koalathebear

I've just found these photos - what a great record. I wonder how many pictures you'll have when your dogs are in their teens. Loved the Kung Fu Fighting video. Aren't you glad you got Elbie a friend? While I usually like to space my dogs out - there is generally a gap of about 3 years in age between mine, Elbie would have missed out on so much fun if he'd been an only dog for so long.

It doesn't matter how you feel or what your day has been like - but when you see a body wag like that it just makes you feel good!

KTB: I know how you feel knowing Max won't be starting beginners obedience until next Feb (classes stop Dec and Jan) - by which time he'll be 10 months old!!!!!!! While its fine to be teaching them what you can on your own, its not quite the same as doing it officially. We just received our assessment for puppy classes - its things like, 'demonstrate that you understand the principals of loose lead walking'. Note its not actually doing loose lead walking.

The only thing on there that will be a challenge is being able to greet someone with Max keeping all four paws on the ground (and not jumping up/throwing himself into the half roll he does at the person's feet). So there's always something to be working on - but when I look at Wuffles and Ava, I think we've got so far to go before we even START doing any of that kind of stuff! (Go Ava!). While obedience can be frustrating, you at least want to feel you're making some kind of progress.

Woah. That's a bit of a rant.

Sorry!

Oh, we won't be giving up for good, KTB. But neither of us are enjoying training since we started intermediate which is a shame because I really love working with him outside of class...and judging by the wiggly bum, so does he! :laugh: I'm going to start doing the bulk of his training outside where he's exposed to constant distractions and we'll give the classes another go after the New Year.

Lol love that video KTB, and one of my fav songs and my OH is known to break out singing it at random times. This was my favourite ad back in the US

Reality has hit me today re:puppy :laugh: I am now freaking out hoping I do everything right. I am lucky that my OH has a real 'thing' with dogs, I've never known a dog that didn't listen to him. Back home all his dogs were great, and even on short acquaintance dogs seem to listen to him. A few of years ago we house sat for a friend who went away, and looked after her two spoiled rotten, horribly behaved but terribly gorgeous Westies, within days he had them house trained, walking nicely on a leash, showing manners etc. And the rest of the time they would spend just gazing adoringly at him :D He has a laid back approach and thinks it's all just 'common sense'. Me on the other hand, I have to 'be prepared'. I MUST read all the books I can get my hands on, write notes and put them in a file, research, research, research :rofl:

The problem with dogs is that there are just as many people who say do it one way, as there are people who say if you do it that way you are going to doggie owner hell and the only way to do it is this way. It sure gets confusing! :rofl:

I am going to spend the next 8 weeks trying to chill out ;)

The only thing on there that will be a challenge is being able to greet someone with Max keeping all four paws on the ground (and not jumping up/throwing himself into the half roll he does at the person's feet). So there's always something to be working on - but when I look at Wuffles and Ava, I think we've got so far to go before we even START doing any of that kind of stuff! (Go Ava!). While obedience can be frustrating, you at least want to feel you're making some kind of progress.

You are kind! ;) We still have a long way to go as well but I am very happy with my little girl. Focus during heeling is our big challenge. I'll have to take a new video soon but I can never find the time! Work + training two dogs + organising wedding + being sick = no time for video making :laugh:

With the four paws on the ground, trust me when I say Ava could NOT do that for quite a while :D I can't remember how old she was when it just clicked. Maybe 9 months, she hasn't been doing it for long? She still jumps up when she greets some people and often moves her front paws in her stand-stay but she is doing really well apart from that. I think sometimes we just have to remember that they are still puppies and young dogs and excitement is a lovely thing for them to have :dancingelephant:

This morning my dogs were Monster Hounds. We walk them separately in the mornings, for a few reasons... firstly, they don't walk well together. They feed off each other's excitement and tend to get pully and overstimulated. Secondly, they need different things, Ava needs training and a longer walk. Anyway, OH left with Satch as usual and 5 minutes later I walked out the door with Ava... unfortunately OH had been accosted by another local dog walker to 'chat' (ugh) so they were still out the front of the house. Ava went mental, she was screaming and flipping on the end of the leash trying to get to Satch. Then of course Satch started whinging and lunging. I could NOT calm Ava down! We ended up having to go walking together and they were devil dogs for the first 5 minutes. Thankfully once Ava cleared her head enough to listen to me, the walk turned out ok. Now all I can think of is... OH is going away for work for 2 weeks and I will be forced to walk the nightmare dogs together the whole time :rofl:

I love watching dogs interact and play, I love how they just seem to 'get' each other. Humans don't have that kind of intuition and we also don't have that blatant lack of inhibition that pups have when they are playing :dancingelephant: Alas, I hardly ever see mine play, because they do most of that when we're not home. When they do play, they are ROUGH... it is not usually the cute play bowing and pawing and chasing... it is biting and pinning and body slamming :rofl:

Hi All :laugh:

I think the reason I like lurking in this thread is that it makes my dog sound normal

hyperactive at training

jumps on people to greet them

variable behaviour at obedience and home

(must be lured into obedience class with constant supply of food from left hand, and short tight lead in other hand, to stop him lunging and pulling towards every dog and person we have to walk past)

humps other dogs when a bit excited!

I am just so ever hopeful that with a bit of age he will calm down a bit and all the training and hard work will pay off!

It is nice though to have this little corner of DOL for a bit of a reality check!

BTW, Hoover sure is a cutie. Looks like Elbie is being charmed by his puppy ways!

I've just found these photos - what a great record. I wonder how many pictures you'll have when your dogs are in their teens. Loved the Kung Fu Fighting video. Aren't you glad you got Elbie a friend? While I usually like to space my dogs out - there is generally a gap of about 3 years in age between mine, Elbie would have missed out on so much fun if he'd been an only dog for so long.

OH and I like taking photos - he takes the artistic ones, I take the silly ones so I'm guessing we will have a lot of photos of our doggies over the years. Do you have any more photos of your pack that you can share? I LOVED that photo of Cara on the backs of sheep. I'm also impressed that you manage to juggle FIVE dogs when we struggle with TWO. :D

You more than anyone are probably aware of how anxious I was about getting a second pup and how I didn't go into it lightly - but we're very happy we have Hoover now :)

It doesn't matter how you feel or what your day has been like - but when you see a body wag like that it just makes you feel good!

It is kind of lovely to think that the puppy is so happy that his whole body is wriggling with excitement. :laugh:

KTB: I know how you feel knowing Max won't be starting beginners obedience until next Feb (classes stop Dec and Jan) - by which time he'll be 10 months old!!!!!!! While its fine to be teaching them what you can on your own, its not quite the same as doing it officially.

Yes ... and I suppose I really shouldn't be complaining given that Max will be 10 months. Like you, we'll be doing heaps of training with him before class but for me there's really no substitute to the high-distraction, "safe" environment that is provided by Dog School. Still, Max is doing so well and you have relationships at your local dog park so I suspect your little fellow will be fine.

So there's always something to be working on - but when I look at Wuffles and Ava, I think we've got so far to go before we even START doing any of that kind of stuff! (Go Ava!). While obedience can be frustrating, you at least want to feel you're making some kind of progress.

wuffles and Ava work very hard and I am also admiring of what they've achieved. When I first met Ava, she was not able to sit still for pats but she has become much more calm since then, even though you can still see and 'feel' the excitement exuding from her. :laugh:

Oh, we won't be giving up for good, KTB. But neither of us are enjoying training since we started intermediate which is a shame because I really love working with him outside of class...and judging by the wiggly bum, so does he! ;) I'm going to start doing the bulk of his training outside where he's exposed to constant distractions and we'll give the classes another go after the New Year.

*hug* I understand. I wish we could be in classes together. I'm sure that we woud have a total hoot and so would our little monsters. :p "Stop lunging at James!"

ravenau1: I so know how you feel.

1. I find it funny that guys are often so much more blase about the whole Dog Ownership thing but that the guys are more likely to get frustrated/irritated when the dogs don't do what they want/are supposed to do i.e. when the dogs behave like dogs. :o

2. I'm like you and stress a lot about doing the right thing by my dog. I worry that I'll do something that will damage his poor fledgling psyche forever and make him dog aggressive/human aggressive/life aggressive/toe aggressive blah blah blah

3. I think that there are a few things that you're going to have to prepare yourself for...:

(a) despite all of your best intentions, you WILL make a mistake/do Something Wrong and all you can do is try not to make mistakes but when you do, do your best to fix them.

(b) despite all of your best intentions, you WILL do something that makes a DOLer Disapprove of you and Judge you. I often point back at this post ...

At the end of the day, it will be your dog and after you gather as much info as you can, it's up to you to make up your mind about what's best for your dog - within the limits of the law of course :D You have to live with the consequences of your decisions so you decide.

My advice?:

1. Try not to be too hard on yourself - no one has a perfect dog and no one is a perfect owner. We're human and they're living creatures not robots.

2. When you have a problem/question, read all the old DOL posts first before posting otherwise you'll end up doing things I did in the early days - over-reacting and panicking that something was Much More Serious than it was. There's a lot of good advice here but you have to learn how to separate the careless advice from the prudent advice from the Oh My God The End Is Nigh Build An Ark You And Your Little Dog Are Gonna Die kind of advice ...

Just like raising a child, I suspect that raising a dog can't be done by the book and it's experience, commonsense, trial and error, reading up and learning selectively from the wisdom of others. :D

Alas, I hardly ever see mine play, because they do most of that when we're not home. When they do play, they are ROUGH... it is not usually the cute play bowing and pawing and chasing... it is biting and pinning and body slamming ;)

I seriously need video of this! Don't laugh, but OH and I are breaking Hoover and Elbie up all the time because we worry that they're being too rough i.e. what you saw in the music video :D

betsy:

I think the reason I like lurking in this thread is that it makes my dog sound normal

:rofl:

You definitely should be posting not lurking ...

Over here we talk about our sometimesimperfect dogs, safe in the knowledge that everyone here knows we're TRYING to do the right thing and improve less than perfect behaviours ... Like you, I hope that age and training will calm down Elbie - but part of me knows that he's probably always going to be a slightly more hyper dog than other dogs. I can't help thinking that it's that slightly hyper part of his character that makes him so responsive and eager to please.

It is nice though to have this little corner of DOL for a bit of a reality check!

Heh. Photos please! We always need photos to justify our continued existence in this sub-forum. :rofl:

Edited by koalathebear

Hey all... I'm sitting in the qantas lounge at Sydney airport after two frustrating days in the big smoke. And qantas have dicked me around both flights. If the qantas lounge didn't exist I think I would have chucked a huge tantrum.

Anyhoo... Back to normal programming.

I haven't had a chance to read everything thoroughly, but what I can remember:

* don't worry, everyone has idiot dog at training. That would be Kuma on Sunday... He gets riled up by the husky pup and the dalmation spotted stuffy type dog (really have no idea what it is, other than hyper). Kuma would not heel, stay, etc... But walked well loose lead. Yay for small mercies.

* hoover is adorable. Seriously adorable. Elbie and he will be great 'brothers' I am sure.

* I, glad Kumas old bed is going to good use, it was in our garage for a couple of months... The bed was only used for a short time because he grew so quickly! He is not a chewer, so that has helped in its longevity

Everything else I will review in greater detail later...

Okay, okay. Some more photos so I can remain in the thread.....

Took these tonight in between poo patrol and being eaten alive by mosquitoes

Standard shot

z8mo.jpg

Close up

z8mo3.jpg

On the poor man's grooming bench

z8mo2.jpg

The next socceroo recruit (holes made in cover of ball make it much easier to carry round for zoomies :rofl: )

z8mo4.jpg

I'm very much looking forward to Ike photos!

Wuffles, I wish you luck walking your guys together! It certainly sounds like a daunting task. Although it's good to hear that Ava eventually calmed down for you today - hopefully after two weeks that will become the norm! I second the sentiments about watching dogs play. I'd love to know what they're thinking as they throw themselves at each other :rofl: James doesn't like to play the chasing games so much as the, "I'll jump on you, now you stand on my head and I'll sniff your butt - rinse and repeat" game.

Betsy, do come out of lurkdom :rofl: We can always use more contributions and, of course, photos!

Ravenau, it is a scary, scary world out there when it comes to dog information. And so much to take in - I have to admit, I completely forgot all about the need for tick prevention until he was about 12 weeks old :champagne: And for every new thing you learn there are 100 different paths you can take and everyone is convinced that 99 of those will turn your dog into a devil dog. The trouble is everybody's idea of the "one" good path is different!

I think the best thing to do in those early weeks is to take things calmly and remember that a couple of mistakes aren't going to "break" your dog :cheers: So much easier said than done, though! I was scared witless until James was a couple of weeks old.

KTB, there's a small thought lingering at the back of my mind, telling me to pack up and move to Canberra so James can have a better social life :happydance: I can just imagine the hijinks he would get up to with all the pups on here.

I have been neglecting the photos, considering this is a photo thread...! I love watching him hold things in his paws.

SDC10076.jpg

Did I hear devil dog? Someone want the recipe for a devil dog? (I'll swap for the number for the glue factory....).

1. Take one 6 month old puppy

2. Remove balls

3. Keep quiet for five days (ironically by removing 'balls', amongst other things)

4. Turn your back and at the same time *essential* have stockings drying on a clothes horse

5. Turn around to find said puppy hooning around the house with newly acquired and highly prized stockings - going over the back of couches, over coffee tables, around tight corners, u-turning on the bed, out back door, flying down three steps, zooming around yard..... straight into fence.....!

Forget the stitches - they're fine. The poor dogs nose is a bit worse for wear!

Betsy - what a beautiful dog!

Nicques - I like James's style!

Wuffles - don't be so modest!

Ravenau - good luck!