Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Great shots, Primedogs! Love your puzzle helper there :( does that account for the missing pieces? :wave: My OH has a puzzle here that is missing about 10 pieces, apparently his Lab used to sit under the table and snaffle any pieces anyone dropped :eek:

According to the Mandalorian pronunciation guide ( ;) ) It's "Kan-DOH-see" it means Awesome, in a Star Wars Language :D

I'm very wary of dried chew treats now after reading all the dog fart info :eek: seems a lot of people have the same problem!

But lots of dogs love them and lots of dogs are fine. Alas, my two get farty with the pig-based stuff. They're ok with the other dried treats fortunately. I'd hate to deny them completely!

I will get some pics for you when we go down, being that you are a Kelpie person.

:wave: I look forward to it. Despite being Kelpies so common, I actually don't get to meet that many :( That's why I had to get my own!!! ;) Also, Hoover's pedigree papers arrived today from the Working Kelpie Council - such fancy, schmancy documents for such a little wigglebum.

I remember you talking about Elbie not really liking to play with other dogs, and that you were really pleased that he liked playing with Hoover. Has the experience of playing with Hoover made him happier to play with other dogs now? Or is Hoover a special case?

He plays hard with Hoover and I've seen him start to play with other dogs at obedience - for instance, he played bitey face with Nugget a couple of weeks ago and he actually chased Champ for the frisbee last week - something he never did before. He's still not as outgoing as other dogs, though. He generally still approaches dogs he knows - for instance, he knows Ava and Kuma pretty well by now, same goes for Pepper and Mars and the other dogs at Dog School. I'd say that having Hoover around has definitely made him less timid but he's still not an outgoing dog and still a bit of a social mutant around the others :D

Astrid is a gorgeous name. I approve.

Primedogs: I love the photos. I would never let my monsters near the puzzles. They would eat them! That's a gorgeous puzzle - love the cat and dog theme, too :( Here's today's progress for the puzzle.

espresso04.jpg

So much fun! Fellow Geeks can come by for coffee, tea, cake and puzzle time :(

lilli_star: I know that Renegade Ruby and Big Blue Tarp is a Serious Story and must have been frustrating at the time but gosh it would have been funny to watch a cute, squishy lab racing around like a pork chop with a blue tarp sailing out behind her like some sort of doggy super hero. Also, we didn't buy the pig snouts on purpose! They misled me by calling it a 'chew'

:D Like I said- I wasn't sure whether to laugh, cry, or throw something at her! Bless her, it was the first time she'd really had a chance to run around all day since the rain had finally stopped, and how nice of Mama to bring home a big blue flappy thing for Roo to drag around! :D

It's raining again (so much fun to toilet a dog in the rain as you know :thumbsup: ), but it didn't really start to rain until after school. Nonetheless, I came home to a dry dog, so the tarp did its thing and Miss Roo decided that staying in her shed would be better than playing Poor Little Match Girl out in the rain. I also bought her a new waterproof mattress/bed thingy to go inside her kennel yesterday, so that might have helped too.

Now, about the 'chews'. I saw one in the supermarket yesterday that I'm sure to the average person it would not click that the beef whatever-cutesy-name-they-gave-it was really a beef penis! :rofl::rofl: I don't feel squeamish about giving the ears, but THAT, well, yes I would :rofl:

Now, about the 'chews'. I saw one in the supermarket yesterday that I'm sure to the average person it would not click that the beef whatever-cutesy-name-they-gave-it was really a beef penis! :rofl::thumbsup: I don't feel squeamish about giving the ears, but THAT, well, yes I would :D

I'm guessing ... bully stick? :D I would feel so Wrong giving a beef penis to one of my monsters. :rofl:

And the terrifying thread for the day goes to this thread. It started out on such a positive note and then devolved to what borders on "nyah nyah nyah nyah" ... :rofl:

On a random note, I am so, so, so happy that the this thread has never gone the way of this thread.

Catching up, but jumping in to say, yes I agree.

Seconded. That thread took a rather sharp turn for the worse!

I can vividly imagine the "Ruby and the tarp" incident - it is so something James would do. Would be absolutely hilarious if we didn't have to be so despairing whilst such things are happening :thumbsup:

that the beef whatever-cutesy-name-they-gave-it was really a beef penis!

:rofl: Now that is an inventive use of livestock parts.

Person1: Whatever could we use the bull's penis for?

Person2: :rofl: Let's let the dogs chew on them!

Mildly disturbing. Yet very funny :D

Puzzles sound like a good hobby to get back into. I tend to do them with my step-mother if I'm visiting and used to do them with my grandmother many years back, but have never really done them at home - it always seems like a good idea to start messy, space-consuming activities in someone else's house :rofl: The recent posts have inspired me though - I think I'll have to pick up a few this week.

Is anyone else's dog starting to feel the heat at night? James' panting drove me insane last night - I'm trying to work out what to do with him so he's cooler.

In other news, my brother and his fiancée are here for a week or so and, of course, Master James went insane. I popped him on leash around them and he attempted to strangle himself. He eventually calmed down when I started shovelling fruit down his throat but he was eating it in such a resigned way that I'm sure he knew that its purpose was simply to distract him :D Poor boy.

I'm guessing ... bully stick? :D I would feel so Wrong giving a beef penis to one of my monsters. :rofl:

And the terrifying thread for the day goes to this thread. It started out on such a positive note and then devolved to what borders on "nyah nyah nyah nyah" ... :rofl:

It had some other name...began with a P... :thumbsup: Oooh! Paddywhack?? Paddystick??? Something like that.

I just read the 1st page. Started to get a sense of deja vu of where it was headed, then saw your post and laughed a lot! Hee!

Also

He eventually calmed down when I started shovelling fruit down his throat

Fruit???!!! :D Oh the injustice of it all!

Edited by lilli_star

Also
He eventually calmed down when I started shovelling fruit down his throat

Fruit???!!! :thumbsup: Oh the injustice of it all!

:D He does actually like fruit. Very much. Has a couple of frozen blueberries with his breakfast and then we might share an apple or banana at some point during the day.

Regarding those threads.... well one of them didn't turn out to be quite the car crash it appeared to be. But the other, well, there's some regular players there..... In this day and age it truly is about everyone having their own opinion, and making sure to share it!!!!

Wanna hear my opinion? Nah actually it was only an epiphany. So far, I've been 'taught' or exposed to the positive reinforcement way of training. Reward good, ignore bad. But tonight I realised this probably is better for 'training' and not so good for 'behaviour'. 'Behaviour' probably needs consequences, including negative ones if the behaviour is no good. I did this: :thumbsup: Any thoughts from anyone over here in the comfy corner?

Good news - we had a smasher at flyball again tonight. Geeeeee I love it! And now I've found my third MDTL. Okay, the second one is a MDTM. Just in that I trust them, their explanations are good, they tell you what to do and not to do (which I need), and make you feel good about it at the end of the day. Everyone cross your fingers I get a MDTP next year for obedience training!

Max loves apples too!

Regarding those threads.... well one of them didn't turn out to be quite the car crash it appeared to be. But the other, well, there's some regular players there..... In this day and age it truly is about everyone having their own opinion, and making sure to share it!!!!

Wanna hear my opinion? Nah actually it was only an epiphany. So far, I've been 'taught' or exposed to the positive reinforcement way of training. Reward good, ignore bad. But tonight I realised this probably is better for 'training' and not so good for 'behaviour'. 'Behaviour' probably needs consequences, including negative ones if the behaviour is no good. I did this: :D Any thoughts from anyone over here in the comfy corner?

Good news - we had a smasher at flyball again tonight. Geeeeee I love it! And now I've found my third MDTL. Okay, the second one is a MDTM. Just in that I trust them, their explanations are good, they tell you what to do and not to do (which I need), and make you feel good about it at the end of the day. Everyone cross your fingers I get a MDTP next year for obedience training!

Max loves apples too!

Hee! I love how my acronyms are being used by others* :rofl: I tend to use them a lot to talk "in code" with people I work with :thumbsup:

I'd love to see video of Max when he really gets going at flyball :rofl:

* Except I'm not sure what MDTP stands for... :D

P = person

Ahhh...of course! :rofl:

Edited by lilli_star

James likes mango but only when cut into small pieces. Actually, same with most fruits, really. If it's too big he spits it out. Charming animal.

I tend to agree with your way of thinking, Max#1. The trouble is my understanding of consequences, when it comes to dogs, is very poor - it's something I need to do a lot more reading on and implement with some of James' behaviours.

I am lost :thumbsup: What do MDTL and MDTM mean?

Edited by Niques

James likes mango but only when cut into small pieces. Actually, same with most fruits, really. If it's too big he spits it out. Charming animal.

I tend to agree with your way of thinking, Max#1. The trouble is my understanding of consequences, when it comes to dogs, is very poor - it's something I need to do a lot more reading on and implement with some of James' behaviours.

I am lost :D What do MDTL and MDTM mean?

That's what I call my Magical Dog Trainer Lady (obviously not to her face lol :thumbsup: ) who runs Roo's dog school. Max has expanded the acronym to include the male of the species :D

The puzzle the set up is in the middle of the lounge room so I would feel mean keeping the dogs out and luckily neither dog seems to intrested in eating the puzzle so far :thumbsup:

I am horrible with codes and have no idea what they mean most of the time

MDTL, MDTM, MTDP, the only guess I have is MatureDogTraining Person/Man/Lady ? :D

ETA: ooh I posted after your post and Magical makes a bit more sense then mature :D

Wanna hear my opinion? Nah actually it was only an epiphany. So far, I've been 'taught' or exposed to the positive reinforcement way of training. Reward good, ignore bad. But tonight I realised this probably is better for 'training' and not so good for 'behaviour'. 'Behaviour' probably needs consequences, including negative ones if the behaviour is no good. I did this: doh.gif Any thoughts from anyone over here in the comfy corner?

I think this is because lot of the behaviours we don't want are self rewarding so its harder to get the desired results with only positive methods then with 'training'. example:

training sit - You reward the dog for sitting, not standing or being in a drop neither of which are very exciting, so for a dog sitting and being fed is more desirable for the dog then not sitting and not being fed. therfore the dog is going to sit.

Training the dog to sit when greeting people - The behaviour you don't want is the dog jumping all over someone,but for a dog this greeting is exciting and they are getting contact which kinda acts as a reward, so for a dog sitting getting treats might not be as fun as jumping all over someone so they are going to jump. But if you use negative concequences and the dog gets say a spray of water in the face if he jumps, sitting is going to be the more desirable action. If that all makes sense as this is the way I see it.

Edited by Primedogs

I think you'll probably find that very few people are "purely positive" trainers and most don't claim to be. For example, I would say that I train using positive reinforcement and that involves negative punishment as well (taking away something good, for example of the dog jumps, turning away from them).

But I (and probably most others) also use mild forms of positive punishment which is associated with "old school" training... for example I will use a pop on the leash for pulling, and I will use "no" and "uh uh". Our club teaches positive methods but I have seen plenty of the instructors telling their dogs off for misbehaving :dancingelephant:

Ultimately it just comes down to both the dog and the owner and what is best for them. Ava is really, really soft so she doesn't need strong punishment. Satch came to us very sensitive but has toughened as he's become more confident in the world so he oftens needs a stronger hand. Once OH yelled at him for destroying something he shouldn't have, and Satch went and hid under a desk for an hour. In my world that's when you know you've taken it too far... I want the dog to stop what he's doing wrong without making him frightened or upset.

Thaaaanks! They grow up so fast :D I will have to make sure I get some pics tonight and compare them to her puppy photos, although she has been constantly wet and muddy these past few days... sigh.

She really has calmed down lately, OH and I have both noticed. Not sure if it was the desexing or just because she's getting older, but it's really nice! :)