Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

For those of you who are already thinking yourselves Crazy Dog Ladies; wait until you start competing, and training in multiple disciplines, then see how crazy folks think you are! I was long accepted as a crazy dog lady at work, and now have all sorts of strange people asking me dog relate questions- plus my students have started popping up at work. The cute black pugs at assessment night, as it turns out, belong to a guy who's just started working for a friend at work, and I ran into him at a work function! On the plus side, you do start to hang out with more crazy dog folk, which makes you feel comparatively normal!

In good (Crazy Dog Lady related) news, Shandy and I are now an officially accredited Delta Therapy Dog team. It looks like we'll be visiting one of the Canberra hospitals, but it may take a few weeks to get the pathology testing done.

Wuffles, Crust Pizza is good, but Pizza Capers at Kippax is just as, if not more yummy!

I'll be in Canberra over stand down too, and would love to catch up. KTB Have you tried the Yum Cha at Master So's at Kippax?

I know what you mean about how they enjoy a walk after being cooped up. A couple of us from dog training got together in the break in the weather yesterday and went for a walk around the back of Watson. Here's a pic of Shandy and some of the other dogs enjoying the long jump pit, I mean dog swimming pool on Watson oval!

65708_460850263869_722818869_5784286_7316070_n.jpg

Oh and thanks for sharing the puppy pics, and good luck - so much fun and mischief coming up!

Edited by CleoJ

Aww, she is so adorable, Ravenau! Remember to take lots of photos in the early days when she first comes home! I really regret not having all that many of James.

Ruby is such a deceptively sweet looking puppy :eek: You wouldn't think from looking at her that she was capable of pulling toys apart the way she does :party:

When we decorate the tree though, we'll have to put the doggies behind the baby gate otherwise I can foresee Tinsel Poo. ;)

James has been scarily good with our tree. It's up in a room that isn't used aside for the piano, so he doesn't spend much time in there as it is, but he barged in just after the decorating was finished and he really didn't care about the tree :rofl: One of the stockings, on the other hand, he loved. It was pinned up quite high and he thought it a brilliant game to jump up and down trying to grab it (which he eventually did) :shrug:

Elbie's Kelpie stalk is very impressive!

All of this is just in front of our house and the two houses on either side of us. Then I'll quicken the pace and say: "run run! faster faster!" and then suddenly slow down: "slow slow!" then I'll speed up again. I have no lungs so I find this tiring. :eek: It definitely keeps Elbie's attention, though and so he's constantly looking back at me to see what I'm going to do - change direction/speed up/slow down. Tonight I did it with his dinner and we were just trotting back and forth in front of the house. To my embarrassment the neighbour from across the road came out and asked: "How's training going?" I have no idea how long he was out the front staring at us as I ran back and forth with Elbie exclaiming: "run run! faster faster! Slow slow! good boy!" :bottom:

:eek: It is very amusing stopping to think how weird we sound/look when interacting with dogs. I, what with all his weaving, inevitably end up kicking James in the heels a few times when we walk and I instinctively apologise to him - I'm sure I sound insane. Not to mention all the other talking I do to him as we walk.

In good (Crazy Dog Lady related) news, Shandy and I are now an officially accredited Delta Therapy Dog team. It looks like we'll be visiting one of the Canberra hospitals, but it may take a few weeks to get the pathology testing done.

Congratulations! That's a terrific achievement :rolleyes: How often will you be visiting the hospital?

Anyone else's dog have a favourite breed? James has a thing for dogs his size or larger - little dogs don't interest him that much. But labradors seem to be his favourite. Not to mention they're the only dogs that consistently tolerate his particular brand of insanity :rofl: Others seem to get fed up with his antics after the introductory bum sniffing.

We were sitting in the park this morning after our walk to help desensitise him to other dogs. He was fairly excited but easily calmed when the little terrier type dogs went past. And then suddenly a black labrador caught his eye and he started screaming like he was being murdered :cheer: I was pleased though - after the initial, "Pleeeeeeeease let me go play!!" pulling and tail wagging and whining, he settled down to the most relaxed I've ever seen him around other dogs. He was even interested in the treat I offered. Progress :laugh:

I was long accepted as a crazy dog lady at work, and now have all sorts of strange people asking me dog relate questions- plus my students have started popping up at work. ... On the plus side, you do start to hang out with more crazy dog folk, which makes you feel comparatively normal!

That's true ... when I first started my new job, I didn't have my security clearance yet so was sitting downstairs with facilities. I was surrounded by people who own dogs so felt 'normal'. Then I moved up to my new section. My boss has two young kids, no dogs. The other member in my team has a 6 month old daughter, no dogs and doesn't like dogs. The third member of my team has a pregnant wife, no dogs and he doesn't like dogs and thinks that they're just dumb animals and thinks I am really, REALLY weird because I take the dogs to obedience and worry about them in thunderstorms. When he heard about the dog birthday party, he just shook his head at me. :laugh:

This is such exciting news. I've been pondering whether or not Hoover might eventually be a good candidate for Delta Therapy dog training. Thing is Kelpies are kind of considered to be boring dogs. No one ever even looks at Hoover when he's around other more exotic doggies so people might be underwhelmed to be visited by such a generic-looking dog. :laugh:

Crust Pizza is good, but Pizza Capers at Kippax is just as, if not more yummy!

OH and I were at Kippax today doing our shopping and picked up a menu for Pizza Capers. We'll definitely be trying it out.

I'll be in Canberra over stand down too, and would love to catch up. KTB Have you tried the Yum Cha at Master So's at Kippax?

I haven't - we normally have yum cha at Dumpling Inn in Macquarie but I'm open to trying new places. If there are other people who like Yum Cha I can book a table some time. The great thing about Chinese restaurants is that they're usually open during the Christmas shut down period. :laugh:

Here's a pic of Shandy and some of the other dogs enjoying the long jump pit, I mean dog swimming pool on Watson oval!

Gorgeous photo! How long did it take to clean her off after that?? :laugh: I think I recognise all the doggies. Pepper, Rosie, Jet and ... I forget her name but she's the labradoodle from BDOC, right?

Ruby is such a deceptively sweet looking puppy :eek: You wouldn't think from looking at her that she was capable of pulling toys apart the way she does :cry:

I agree! I think we need video proof of Ruby the Destroyer. :laugh:

It is very amusing stopping to think how weird we sound/look when interacting with dogs. I, what with all his weaving, inevitably end up kicking James in the heels a few times when we walk and I instinctively apologise to him - I'm sure I sound insane. Not to mention all the other talking I do to him as we walk.

Yes ... I make cutesy noises at my dogs. During dog class if it's not our turn to do something, I'll usually be sitting there patting and cooing over them. Once I I was stroking Elbie's ears and stroking his head and looked over and saw another handler staring at me quizzically.

I was pleased though - after the initial, "Pleeeeeeeease let me go play!!" pulling and tail wagging and whining, he settled down to the most relaxed I've ever seen him around other dogs. He was even interested in the treat I offered. Progress :laugh:

Yay! Sounds like great progress! I've been loose-lead walking with Elbie back and forth in front of our house again tonight. He goes nowhere until he pays attention and he's now at the point where he's checking back every few moments. It requires treats though so I'm going to see if I can go longer distances without treats.

Here's a photo of Elbie in "waiting" mode, waiting for us to throw the ball. Sometimes OH is freaked out because he'll turn around from his computer and see Elbie staring at him in this unnerving fashion. He can stand like this for ages and ages just waiting for someone to play with him.

DSC05620.jpg

Niques: Ava loves robust little dogs and her favourites are the pug crossbreeds. She can spot them from a mile away!

KTB: :laugh: @ Elbie photo. That would be freaky! Neither of mine ask to be played with, but while we were eating our dinner tonight, Ava wandered through the lounge and onto her bed holding an A4 envelope that she'd sequestered from our recycling pile :laugh: I asked her to "give" and she did, but she looked sad that I'd taken away her treasure.

Most people at my work like dogs. Only some own them though! As mentioned previously, thankfully my big boss is a dog lover so is very understanding.

Satchmo's Thundershirt arrived today and he looks very cute with it on. Hopefully the storms hold off until after work when we are home and can try it out. I have my work Xmas party tomorrow so I definitely won't be able to come home to check on him if it does storm :laugh:

Niques: We'll probably be visiting fortnightly, but this will be dependant on the arrangements and restrictions of the facility

KTB: I don't think people stuck in hospitals and nursing homes really mind what sort of dog it is that visits them- providing they have warm fur to touch and pat, its all good. If Hoover keeps his lovely chilled temperament, he'd probably make a great Delta Dog! Besides, most people don't even know what breed Shandy is!

I like the Dumpling Inn, and the Yum Cha at the Soccer Club, but we really like Master So's - they actually make Yum Cha to order, and the family that runs it is lovely, and always greets us like long lost family.

And yes, you picked the dogs- Sass is the labxpoodle you missed. We were over at Ange's discussing clicker training, and they were all very tired dogs after a long walk, and racing around like lunatics in the back yard! ITs nice to be able to let your dogs play with dogs you know they get on with.

And I love the 'waiting pic of Elbie - such patience and focus!

Tonight I am sad :rofl: I had to euthanise one of my favourite fish, an awesome Betta Splenden Plakat Teal Dragon named Volta. I really loved this lil guy and he was very special to me. I've been fighting for him for a couple of weeks but tonight we decided it would just be my selfishness to keep him alive any longer.

I hope it's ok to post a couple of non doggie pictures.

DSCF4154-1.jpg

DSCF4140-1.jpg

And this is my other Plakat, Orium (Red Dragon) who will miss flaring at Volta.

Oriumside.jpg

orium.jpg

This is one of my cats, Jinx

jinxball.jpg

She's had a good day today, layed in the sun on the windowsill for a while, meowed through the door at some birds in the bird feeder, she seems quite happy and content :).

Little does she know what will be coming home with us about this time tomorrow! :(

I don't think she's going to be terribly impressed :laugh::(

Edited by ravenau1

Raven - how exciting! I remember getting my puppy home and feeling a little bit stunned initially. No time for that now :(

Hope you have better luck with your cat/dog interactions. My house is partitioned into northern territory (cat zone) and southern territory (dog zone), with a baby gate acting as the DMZ!

Raven - good luck for tomorrow!

Not too much to add tonight. Just saying hello!

Okay, a photo. Max in 'action'....

post-35830-1291805659_thumb.jpg

And this one. It failed to get into the 'head tilt' thread for obvious reasons. But it cracked me up anyway!

post-35830-1291805768_thumb.jpg

Am I a really bad photographer? Can I blame my camera? :(

Hi everyone :( Hope you and your doglets are all well :cry:

I'm with KA- crazy week here too. So tired. Have fallen asleep on the couch the past few nights while writing/checking reports. I gave them to the boss today, but I think he said I've written too much on some of them (as per usual!) and the comment won't fit on the page! Happens every year :):(

I feel so guilty :) There's something on every night this week. Tonight I got home after 8pm. Poor Roo ;) At least I'm able to duck home after school and give her a lamb shank before heading off again. I've been giving them to her frozen, in the hope that it will last longer. No idea if it works or not, but at least it keeps her occupied for a bit.

Raven, only one more day! ;)

Raven - how exciting! I remember getting my puppy home and feeling a little bit stunned initially. No time for that now :)

Hope you have better luck with your cat/dog interactions. My house is partitioned into northern territory (cat zone) and southern territory (dog zone), with a baby gate acting as the DMZ!

:laugh: My cat Jasper is still not impressed with the black monster. Lol. He stays out of her way when she's awake and inside.

Yay, we finally graduated from puppy school last night! (Was meant to be last week, but was cancelled due to all the rain). I was just going to enrol in the next level of training starting next week, but it looks like they might have switched trainers.

Edited by minxy

Yay, we finally graduated from puppy school last night! (Was meant to be last week, but was cancelled due to all the rain). I was just going to enrol in the next level of training starting next week, but it looks like they might have switched trainers. In which case, I need to find somewhere else to train as this train is pretty much, demon spawn. :dummy:

Congrats - way to go Kyojin!

oh, and bummer about the trainer... Dontcha just hate the lottery that is obedience instructors??!!

Thanks :dunce: Ugh yes, tell me about it! I don't even *love* the club in general, but it's the only place that offer these sorts of classes. There is one obedience club that sounds amazing, but it's an hour away, which makes it pretty hard when we're trying to do night classes around work. There are a few other clubs around that do agility, but I think they're competitive, and your dog needs to be 11 months to start, plus, agile is not a word I'd use to describe either Kyojin or myself :dummy:

Thanks :eek: Ugh yes, tell me about it! I don't even *love* the club in general, but it's the only place that offer these sorts of classes. There is one obedience club that sounds amazing, but it's an hour away, which makes it pretty hard when we're trying to do night classes around work. There are a few other clubs around that do agility, but I think they're competitive, and your dog needs to be 11 months to start, plus, agile is not a word I'd use to describe either Kyojin or myself :eek:

At our Obedience end of year party the other week, the flyball people were really interested in Kuma and asking us if we'd want to get into it... funnily, the OH was keen! Saying he reckons Kuma would love it :eek:

So excited :eek: but running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, doing all the last minute things!

betsy: DMZ lol, so funny! Our cats have a bedroom that leads out onto their outdoor enclosure, and we've put a baby gate at the door into the room so they will have puppy free space. I imagine they will be spending a fair bit of time sitting at the gate glaring out :o

I set up the small soft crate last night in our lounge room (have a big metal one in the bedroom) and within 10 mins this is what I saw:

"Aww Mum, thanks for the awesome new cat bed" ;)

They have nice beds but I might have to get another of these for their room :)

post-34642-1291863452_thumb.jpg

Where are our puppy photos/stories, Ravenau? :) Love the cat photo, by the way - it's a fantastic shot and beautiful kitty.

Congratulations to little Kyojin on his graduation! :thumbsup:

Off to the vet tomorrow to sort out why James isn't eating. He is otherwise perfectly normal so we've been testing out a few hypotheses this week in the meantime and nothing's working. Had another vomit last night which I suspect was a hunger vomit - was trying to test if he was simply being picky and holding out for meat, so he was only offered dry food for dinner and, surprise surprise, didn't eat it. So I ended up with a bedroom reeking of vomit - no matter how much I scrubbed his crate out the smell would not leave. Made for a pleasant night's sleep :clap: So, he's earnt himself a vet visit. I'm of the theory that perhaps he's damaged his mouth and the dry is too rough on it and his vet nurse could only come up with that as well. It's really bizarre :clap: Poor bugger.