Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

The dogs are totally comfy around the tree now. In fact, we frequently come out and find Hoover stretched out beneath the tree next to the doggie presents :D

tree.jpg

So far they've made no attempt to open the presents even though there's food in there – including (apparently) an edible Christmas doggy card :thumbsup:

ETA: We haven't got around to actually properly decorating the tree yet :(

Edited by koalathebear

I'm resigned to the fact that I'm not going to catch up with this thread, so please forgive me! I miss the leisurely Christmases of Childhood, when I'd finish school and work at my dad's shop where I'd take photos of kiddies on Santa's knee, wrap Christmas presents for customers and have a generally festive time. Now, as an adult it is a mad panic to finish a mountain load of work, just so I can have some peace over the break. Oh Woe Is Me.

We haven't put our tree up this year. How un-Festive is that? I have the shopping done, but not wrapped. I am sure that Kuma will devour any that are left in his sight. He wouldn't have the control that Elbie and Hoover obviously have.

Ravenau - Astrid is adorable. I would like to smoosh her. Seriously cute. I'm sure she will grow up to be a lovely placid girl who will help change the minds of those ignorant to the breed (like your pet store assistant)

Wizzle - interesting cravings, are they mixed together or individually (I would think that Avocado and Maltesers together would be weird :) )

I recall some cute puppy photos of Miss Ava the stunner, Little Maxie and of course the thread name-sake Elbie.

KTB - So sorry to hear about Papa Koala.

Ok, so hope everything else is ok in your collective worlds! bring on Christmas!

OOOH! Just forgot to share a funny story!! We went for a walk on Saturday morning, up the street to get coffee and visit bakers delight. Kuma is a huge fan of the products that come in the bakers delight brown bags. Particulary the cheese and bacon rolls. Anyhoo, it's about 3km each way. On the way back, I needed to fix my shoe so I told the OH to keep going and I'll catch up. I bend down to fix my shoe and when I look up OH and Kuma have stopped about 50 m head of me. Turns out that Kuma kept nudging OH on the thigh and when that didn't work, he basically tackled the OH to make him stop. He wouldn't move until I caught up.

Naawwh, my little boy loves me :eek:

Edited by KumaAkita

I'm so very sorry to hear about your father, KTB :)

I love the doggy presents :eek: So very cute. I'm curious as to what they are! Under our tree is decidedly empty - it just occured to me that we're down to 9 days till Christmas :eat::o Really need to get out and shop.

Kit was a handsome fellow!

I hope Astrid is less fussy for you soon. I was convinced that I had the only non-food motivated labrador in the world for the first two weeks after James came home. He picked up eventually and quickly became a guts. I suspect he really didn't take the separation from his siblings all that well - he was screaming before we'd even left the breeder's house :( Hopefully little Astrid will settle into her food :)

And congratulations on the successful cat/puppy integration :)

Wizzle, interesting cravings! Both savoury and sweet - covering all bases ;) James has learnt not to lick IN the cup of tea, rather he just sits there licking at the rim :mad That's curious that Lady G has taken offence at the Christmas lights - it's amazing what innocent things set dogs off.

Cleo, well done with the DWD progress! Is Shandy a corgi or am I thinking of someone else? It would be fascinating to watch some of the atypically shaped dogs (corgis, dachsunds, etc.) perform. Is there a lot of freedom in creating a "routine" or are there universal steps/moves that are taught? I am completely ignorant on the subject ;)

KA, that's so sweet! If I lag behind when there are two of us walking the most I've ever gotten is a backwards glance before he happily trots off, leaving me in his dust :mad

We've just come out of a fairly impressive storm that's been raging on and off for nearly two hours now. James isn't bothered by close thunder in the slightest, but got rather excited by all the rushing about to close windows so he started stealing Christmas decorations off the mantle :eek: Still completely ignores the tree, which I'm impressed by. He earnt himself a Christmas teddy bear to chew on for his troubles. Until he was bored by that and thought he'd start chewing on cushions. He was booted outside to find a dry spot on the deck, which I thought he'd be most displeased about - I glanced out a few minutes ago and he was blissfully humping his blanket :laugh: Not a care in the world.

And I shall close with some photos from the weekend:

J1.jpg

There are so many pics of him in this awkward position. There's a particularly spectacular one of him from the rear where it looks like he's crapping out a plastic chicken - will have to dig it out for your viewing pleasure.

J2.jpg

J3.jpg

J4.jpg

J5.jpg

J6.jpg

"I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?!" :eek: ;)

Edit: Oh dear, please forgive the overuse of emoticons...

Edited by Niques

Hi All

Well, I hope this works. We are just back from the training Xmas breakup.

ZSanta.jpg

(Professional photo by Wendy Mitchell)

KTB - Sorry to hear about your Papa. Never easy particularly at this time of the year. I'm sure doggy cuddles help a bit. :laugh: Hoover looks adorable beneath that tree! ;)

Ravenau - I'm very jealous of your cats and dog living in harmony. I dream of not quite world peace, but at least household peace...

Niques - James is looking particularly handsome. Black labs really are gorgeous...

KA - I feel that you have been neglecting us. Would love to see some more piccies of Kuma, the lovable big (potentially child eating ;) ) boofa. :p

CleoJ - DWD sounds hard! Especially with short legged dog :rofl:

Well, we had a lovely night at training. Lots of games followed by a BBQ. There was one embarrassing off lead incident. Boy Ziggy is quick when he wants to be. Unfortunately I then was unable to cope with letting him off lead again, so completed most of the 'games' on lead. We did flyball jumps, an agility course, tunnels, weaving and this fantastic (calm) game where I had to get Ziggy to sit whilst I placed a tennis ball on the ground, then moved on to the next spot to do the same (about 8 spots), then turn around and do the same except pick up the tennis balls! Required a lot of restraint from my dog :rofl:

We have the same training for next term, and a bigger class. One of the dogs from our original class will be there.

KTB - I'm very sorry to hear about Papa Koala as well. All our thoughts are with you and your family I'm sure.

Niques - I'm with you. No present shopping. Nothing. My OH is decidedly un-Christmassy - this is fine with me (blah blah consumerism blah blah), but not my family! Especially my poor sister, who just wants Christmas to be *special*. Or my Dad - who's been planning months in advance.... Your photos are really good! James looks adorable!

I've taken a cue from Betsy and started playing soccer with Max. He loves it. (He does display a lot of enthusiasm for many things he encounters in his life.... :laugh: ). He pops the soccer ball (he has done this twice - the first one I accidently threw over the fence never to be seen again.... woops) - and loves harrassing it as it deflates. My dog has no fear. And I also introduced him to frizbee. There are some 'dangers' in this though... especially if you're playing with a hollow frizbee...

post-35830-1292498346_thumb.jpg

And no - I wasn't playing in the house - but I was laughing to hysterically to correct the game of chasey it became when the frizbee got stuck over the poor doofus's head!

And finally - I have to recommend this if you haven't seen (heard) it already...

http://dogstardaily.com/radio/213-adolescent-mayhem

Very interesting.

Hi Lovelies!

KA - Yes, I was eating them all together!!!! The saltiness combined with the sweetness and creaminess was pretty bloody awesome!!!

James looks soooo cute!!!! He is so shiny! As does Hoover under the tree!!! Maybe you could wrap him up and he could be a present!!

Betsy - The SAnta pic is so adorable! You should make it your Christmas card!

I have some pic updates of Genevieve for you... She is being groomed tomorrow, so this are the 'before' shots of my mut!!! :laugh:

DSC01497.jpg

Genevieve stealing my croc slipper.

DSC01507.jpg

Genevieve sniffing out the Baby's pram.

DSC01505.jpg

Genevieve showing off the change table and other bits and pieces

DSC01516.jpg

Genevieve chewing her favourite ball!

DSC01526.jpg

Genevieve test driving the pram!

I will take some pics tomorrow of her looking all pretty!!!!!

Oh Wizzle, she reminds me of my childhood dog soooo much. I used to have a pram in my bedroom to play with, and many times we came home to find Pokey curled up in there, fast asleep :laugh: Another of his favourite spots was amongst all my soft toys :p

He was booted outside to find a dry spot on the deck, which I thought he'd be most displeased about - I glanced out a few minutes ago and he was blissfully humping his blanket :laugh: Not a care in the world.

Ohmygosh! I laughed for like 5 minutes at that sentence alone! :rofl::rofl: :p ;)

Well, I'm officially on holidays! :( Yay! Roo and the cat are off on their 'holiday' tomorrow morning as well. Hope they both behave themselves. I paid extra for extra playtime for Ruby, so she's better appreciate it! :eat: ;)

Thanks for the well-wishes all. We have no fixed plans for Christmas this year because of obvious reasons but we're still trying to get presents and still aiming to at least have a lunch together for the sake of spending together time where possible. This situation is not a surprise in any way, we quit our jobs and travelled back to Australia for this but no matter how prepared you think you are - you can never be completely prepared :(

ravenau1: Hoover's much better now thanks. He seems to have recovered nicely from his surgery. Both he and Elbie abide very conscientiously to the 'leave it' command so he has left his stitches alone and there seems to be no redness. He was allowed to return to 'boisterous' play yesterday although he won't have his stitches out for a few days. We also have to make sure he doesn't get left outside when it's raining because he can't get his stitches wet.

Sorry Astrid is being fussy about her food. What does her breeder recommend? I'm lucky our two are greedy guts and will eat anything. How about beef and rice? Or chicken and rice? those are particularly delicious to doggies. Congratulations on harmonious Cat Dog Relations though!!

wizzle: So far no attacking. After the initial 'leave it' which extended to tree and presents, the two dogs have left the tree alone. Then again, we keep bags of Royal Canin on the ground and the two doggies leave them alone. They're very good that way - but have Other Faults :laugh:

lilli_star: you're lucky you missed the kerfuffle. It was really awful and I was cringing a lot. :eat: Glad to hear that you're on holidays now! And Roo and Cat, too! You'll have to keep us posted.

Ravenau, sounds like you're doing well with Astrid, if she's already doing so well with the cats. She's a very cute puppy!

cleoj: any footage of you and shandy dancing? I saw one photo of you guys in the newsletter but that's it! :( I'd love to see you both dancing! As for training, we still cannot get Hoover to 'beg'. It was so easy with Elbie but Hoover just stares at us blankly :p

kumaakita: good to have you back. The thread has missed you!!! :rofl: Are you going away for Christmas or will you be around Canberra? Does Kuma actually get to eat the bacon and cheese rolls or just sniff them???

niques: One of the presents for the doggies is from me - a bubble machine. I'll make sure I get photos and video when they first see it. I'm sure Hoover will be curious and Elbie will be wary. We got our little handheld Dyson recently and Elbie ran away but Hoover loved it and thought it was a new toy and started pouncing on it like a cat. I'll keep you posted about the other presents ;)

Oh the photos are gorgeous. Your camera is great. What a beautiful face.

J2.jpg

Doggy Muzzle crinkle!!! ;)

J6.jpg

betsy: that is a gorgeous photo! How did you get Ziggy to stare ahead like that? Is it food? :rofl:

Max#1: Elbie is obsessed with what we have come to call Elbie Ball. He's getting really good at it i.e while he has one thing in his mouth, he bats a tennis ball around with his legs. His aim is remarkably good and then when we kick it back, he stops it in the same fashion a hockey goalie would. He's very good - except he's so obsessed with the game he could play it for hours.

wizzle: those photos of Genevieve are lovely and I'm particularly taken by the close-up of her little nose when she's chewing her favourite ball. It's soooooooooo cute. I've decided I love doggy noses. :rofl:

Another shot of Hoover chillin' under the tree

december12_01.jpg

Elbie in the car - he likes to rest his head on OH's shoulder. He's wearing a car harness but we find that giving him a bit more length on the tether makes him happier.

december12_02.jpg

Hoover the cockroach with the muppet mouth

IMG_0493.jpg

Elbie and squeaky steak

november01.jpg

From the time we got him, Hoover has always been an angel in the car

november03.jpg

Hoover has a cheeky face sometimes

cheeky01.jpg

cheeky02.jpg

Elborino

december12_03.jpg

We just took some more Christmas photos of the doggies tonight. Will see how they turned out shortly ...

Edited by koalathebear

Christmas Tree

xmas2010_05.jpg

xmas2010_06.jpg

Christmas Tree and Doggies

xmas2010_07.jpg

Christmas Tree and Costumed Doggies

xmas2010_08.jpg

Hoover does 'are you shy' while wearing reindeer antlers

xmas2010_09.jpg

Hoover's not very impressed with the antlers

xmas2010_10.jpg

xmas2010_11.jpg

Even less impressed with the Santa hat

xmas2010_12.jpg

xmas2010_13.jpg

Elbie is underwhelmed by the Santa hat, too

xmas2010_14.jpg

KTB - I'm in awe of all your amazing doggy Christmas photos! There was a lot of work put into them I can see. Hard to know whether I like the more "formal" shots, or a few of the more "relaxed" ones (a bit like Kate and Wills recent photos shoot :) ).

I have had no luck so far with any Santa hat wearing :)

Check out Mr November!!

I haven't done any Christmas shots with Kuma. Maybe this weekend... maybe... I have other photos that I have to get off my memory card over the weekend too. Just haven't had time!

KTB: Other than a few days down the coast, we're home for the christmas break. Have to try and get my house into order - that's my holiday mission.

Awesome photos everyone :)

ETA: To answer Koala's question about Kuma and the Bakers Delight Goodies. He has developed a fondness for Bakers Delight and identifies the paper bags. It became a bit of a habit when we first moved in to walk up there on a Saturday morning and have coffee and bakers in the park up at Gungahlin. He gets the cheesy bits of the rolls or the bacon bits that fall off. If we happen to bring a Bakers bag home, he's immediately at your side giving you the "I'm so good" eyes. I ususally end up sharing my breakfast with him. He's too cute for words.

Edited by KumaAkita

So, today was a big day for me with a bit of running around. Firstly, Genevieve went to the groomers! I am pretty sure the rest of the Cav world would be appalled by her new look and I would soon earn a reputation of being a bad doggie Mum.... my purebred privately educated Cav came out looking like a cav x dalmation x jack russell mut!!!!

Check out these pics:

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01533.jpg

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01527.jpg

I love her knew look!!! I reckon she looks super cute! And she smells and feels devine!!! So smooth to touch too... Hopefully it will keep her cooler in the summer, have her maulting less and easier for me to manage!! She is awfully cuddly at the moment too!

Then after all that, I had my 13 week scan! Wee Wizzle is growing nicely and was showing off! Didn't want to disclose what sex it is though!!!! But I did get a wave! It's little hands, feet and nose are just so cute! Sorry, I know it is not dog related, but I just am in amazement at it all.

After all that, I came home and snuggled with my lovely pooch! It's just been the best day!!!!!!!!

wizzle: Avocado dip on the maltesers? Sounds interesting! I love salty and sweet things together, I put salt on my honey on toast :rofl:

Genevieve is SO pretty! Love the new 'do'

A scan, how exciting! Did you get stills? I think the whole pregnancy thing is amazing, it never ceases to amaze and boggle my mind! You're growing a person. I know it's just seen as a normal kind of thing, but to me, it really is incredible, even if I've never been tempted to do it myself. Glad it's going well for you ;)

lilli_star: I guess by now you are free :rofl: Yay for holidays!

Cleo_J: I think Dancing with Dogs looks really interesting, something I might try with Astrid down the track. Perhaps just at home to start :laugh: Unfortunately here most of the classes in interesting stuff seem to be on weeknights, and since I can't drive and OH works shiftwork it means I can't really get there.

KumaAkita: awww, that's so cute! Kuma waiting for you! That's a wonderful pic of Kuma in the calender, a lot of character in that gorgeous face :laugh:

Niques: Great pics! :D I love the first one in particular, the look on his face.

betsy: I would LOVE a pic of Astrid with Santa! That looks so great, will it be your Christmas card? :D

Max#1: LOL, the frisbee is like an Avant Garde collar.

KTB: LOVE the Chrismas pics, I desperately wanted pics of Astrid in a Santa hat or antlers, but no :rofl: , your pups looks SO cute, even if they look a bit unimpressed.

Well, we picked up a sample of Black Hawk yesterday and she eats it! :thumbsup: It's weird because I was feeding her exactly what her breeder was, what I had watched her eat at her breeders but she wouldn't touch it. I think maybe the lack of that competition with having other puppies around or something. I'm feeding her other things as well but she really needed to eat the dry food too. So we're happy now :D

She barked for the first time yesterday, I nearly fell over! It's a big deep bark for a puppy. Yesterday it was one bark at Tosca because she was ignoring Astrid, and today for some reason the heat mat that my straightener sits on needed barking at, about 4 or 5 times.

Tomorrow morning we are off to www.houndstoothstudio.com.au for a photoshoot, should be fun!

Today after her bath, laying in the sun :D

DSCF5088-1.jpg

Attempting to kill the microfibre towel

DSCF5096-1.jpg

She barked for the first time yesterday, I nearly fell over! It's a big deep bark for a puppy. Yesterday it was one bark at Tosca because she was ignoring Astrid, and today for some reason the heat mat that my straightener sits on needed barking at, about 4 or 5 times.

:thumbsup::laugh::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :D

She wanted her ears straightened!!!!! Didn't you know??

Hey All, re dances with dogs; yes Shandy is a corgi (she's a Cardigan, so a little bigger than the pembrokes most people are used to seeing) And yes, the short legs do make some things a challenge!

There's lot's of freedom putting routines together; essentially, there are two types of competition, Heelwork to Music (HTM) and Canine Freestyle (CF).

HTM requires the dog to be in an accepted DWD heel position for at least (I think the right stat) 70% of the routine. IN DWD heeling isn't just on the left side going forward, they can also heel on the right, going backwards, and across your body (front or back) as you move sideways. You need a certain number of heeling positions per routine, depending on your level, and you need lots of transition moves to get your dog into the different heeling positions. ie a half spin can be used to get the dog following you as you move backwards, a leg weave can be used to get your dog from your left to your right side, etc. A lot of the basics are pretty common, but you're welcome to invent your own, if you can!

Freestyle is a lot more open to interpretation - pretty much anything goes to music, as long as it doesn't look dangerous or uncomfortable for the dog, and you can't dress the dog in anything but decorated collars. You can do moving or stationary leg weaves, jumps, moving on the dogs hind legs, props, etc etc. Novice level routines only have to be about 1 minute 15, and we have a routine well started, so I hope to compete next year.

More info than I'm sure you all wanted, but its actually great fun, especially for those of us who like to put the tricks we teach to good use!

And Niques, great pics of James

KTB - I love the cheeky faced pic of Hoover, and Elbie always looks so focused, and vaguely tramatised - I know its just because he's waiting for that treat, but he cracks me up!

You're unlikely to see videos of me - I dislike having pics of me public, professionally and personally!